• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hi I'm Nicole.
From NZ. Was diagnosed almost 2 years ago when I was 17. I also have social anxiety so making friends is not easy. I have one good friend but we don't physically see each other much or anything. It's kinda lonely.
Even online I struggle to just post anything to anyone and I often type things out then just don't post it because I just get all anxious about it and what I've said and how I said it then hesitate and second guess myself then usually don't end up posting unless I make myself just press post or send quickly and before I reread what I wrote to many times. Talking to people in person is so much harder though. I have gotten a bit better with posting comments and stuff online. I just don't get how some people can make friends so easily in person or online. Posting before I overthink this now.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Hi, I am a college student. This is my first year of (a not very selective/competitive) college.

As a child I was diagnosed with Autistic Disorder/PDD-NOS.

29F976D3-0EA3-4128-9ECD-7F50BD5FE50E.jpeg
Hi, I am a college student. This is my first year of (a not very selective/competitive) college.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Hello

I'm in psychiatric therapy for anxiety... In the mid 40s. My anxiety which I have since I was a kid just gets worse. So finally I decided to search for help. I'm quite tired to interact with people. I developed difficulties to cope with small talk, socialize......

My psychiatrist is about to arrange an meeting with an Asperger expert. I'll have to wait for at least 2 Months. Kinda interesting that there is a good chance that Mrs. Dr. Asperger in Zurich will be the expert. She's the daughter of Hans Asperger.

For now, I'm not sure if the psychiatrist is the right therapist for me.

My first language isn't English. I hope I'm welcomed here anyway :)

724F469F-65D8-4CBD-94D5-935D076857FA.jpeg
Hello

I'm in psychiatric therapy for anxiety... In the mid 40s. My anxiety which I have since I was a kid just gets worse. So finally I decided to search for help. I'm quite tired to interact with people. I developed difficulties to cope with small talk, socialize......

My psychiatrist is about to arrange an meeting with an Asperger expert. I'll have to wait for at least 2 Months. Kinda interesting that there is a good chance that Mrs. Dr. Asperger in Zurich will be the expert. She's the daughter of Hans Asperger.

Hello

Everyone is welcome here! Everyone here is all quite welcoming and friendly as well. I've been here for over a year, just shy of a year and a half, and my time here has been nothing but fantastic.

Hi everyone! My name is Angela/ Ange/ Angie. I live in upstate New York and I'm 27. I am currently in the process of a professional diagnosis, all though I am quite certain after years of speculation, that I have high-functioning ASD.

I have been diagnosed with many things throughout the years since I was small including inattentive ADHD, anxiety, Bipolar 2, OCD, social anxiety, PTSD, depression blah blah blah. I had a rough past with mental illness including some self harm, hospitalizations, alcohol abuse and such. NOW I am in a generally good place mental health-wise. I am generally very well-adapted now, but that has only been a thing of the last 2 years or so.

In my younger years, I struggled tremendously. I actually, in all seriousness, thought I was an alien. I noticed that the other kids looked at me differently, and talked to me differently. I noticed they kept a certain distance. I had severe anxiety, covered my ears around dogs and during thunderstorms, was afraid of new adults and other kids, couldn't figure out how to make friends, was socially awkward, struggled in school, etc. My parents just thought I was "shy" and a "daydreamer" but my self-esteem was crippled and I suffered from constant intense fatigue.

With no answers, I thought I was dumb or weird or over-sensitive, so I over-compensated. I learned over about 20 years or so how to be charming and well-spoken, how to be organized, how to mask emotions and irritability. It took me way longer than everyone else but GUYS I THINK I FIGURED OUT HOW TO BE NORMAL! Kidding of course, but I worked hard at fitting in, and basically figured it out through faking it.

Some things I still struggle with are certain auditory sensory issues (chewing or mouth sounds send me into near meltdown, loud noises obviously), I have pretty good awareness of social cues as well as self-awareness and empathy but still struggle with certain things like constantly interrupting others, and mistakenly saying rude or "blunt" comments. In terms of touch, I have a hyper-sensitivity to it. My body being squeezed or put pressure on or touched gently melts my brain into non-functional mush (in a good way), I wear compression clothes from time to time as well. I also still have a real issue with connecting to others and have a real issue managing my irritability although I hide it well. Sleep disturbances and fatigue a daily nuisance. Phone anxiety has also been a pretty major issue and obstacle for me. I have friends but usually choose to spend my time alone, the closer I get to people the more I dont like them.

I also REALLY struggle with compulsive skin picking/grooming of my nails and cuticles. I cant leave my house without nail clippers, cuticle clippers, files, lotion, cuticle cream etc. Sometimes Ill be trying to sleep at night and while doing my ritualistic finger-rubbing-together thing I will have to get up out of bed several times just to fix a spot that doesnt "feel" perfect. Its very frustrating and painful at times.

It turns out some people arent as interested in bugs and mice as I am and also sometimes ask stupid questions or talk about boring things lmao.

Anyways, I decided to join this forum because I dont know any other aspies besides my brother, ESPECIALLY no females. Sorry for the long intro but wonder if anyone else resonates with my story. Thanks for listening :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! My name is Angela/ Ange/ Angie. I live in upstate New York and I'm 27. I am currently in the process of a professional diagnosis, all though I am quite certain after years of speculation, that I have high-functioning ASD.

I have been diagnosed with many things throughout the years since I was small including inattentive ADHD, anxiety, Bipolar 2, OCD, social anxiety, PTSD, depression blah blah blah. I had a rough past with mental illness including some self harm, hospitalizations, alcohol abuse and such. NOW I am in a generally good place mental health-wise. I am generally very well-adapted now, but that has only been a thing of the last 2 years or so.

In my younger years, I struggled tremendously. I actually, in all seriousness, thought I was an alien. I noticed that the other kids looked at me differently, and talked to me differently. I noticed they kept a certain distance. I had severe anxiety, covered my ears around dogs and during thunderstorms, was afraid of new adults and other kids, couldn't figure out how to make friends, was socially awkward, struggled in school, etc. My parents just thought I was "shy" and a "daydreamer" but my self-esteem was crippled and I suffered from constant intense fatigue.

With no answers, I thought I was dumb or weird or over-sensitive, so I over-compensated. I learned over about 20 years or so how to be charming and well-spoken, how to be organized, how to mask emotions and irritability. It took me way longer than everyone else but GUYS I THINK I FIGURED OUT HOW TO BE NORMAL! Kidding of course, but I worked hard at fitting in, and basically figured it out through faking it.

Some things I still struggle with are certain auditory sensory issues (chewing or mouth sounds send me into near meltdown, loud noises obviously), I have pretty good awareness of social cues as well as self-awareness and empathy but still struggle with certain things like constantly interrupting others, and mistakenly saying rude or "blunt" comments. In terms of touch, I have a hyper-sensitivity to it. My body being squeezed or put pressure on or touched gently melts my brain into non-functional mush (in a good way), I wear compression clothes from time to time as well. I also still have a real issue with connecting to others and have a real issue managing my irritability although I hide it well. Sleep disturbances and fatigue a daily nuisance. Phone anxiety has also been a pretty major issue and obstacle for me. I have friends but usually choose to spend my time alone, the closer I get to people the more I dont like them.

I also REALLY struggle with compulsive skin picking/grooming of my nails and cuticles. I cant leave my house without nail clippers, cuticle clippers, files, lotion, cuticle cream etc. Sometimes Ill be trying to sleep at night and while doing my ritualistic finger-rubbing-together thing I will have to get up out of bed several times just to fix a spot that doesnt "feel" perfect. Its very frustrating and painful at times.

It turns out some people arent as interested in bugs and mice as I am and also sometimes ask stupid questions or talk about boring things lmao.

Anyways, I decided to join this forum because I dont know any other aspies besides my brother, ESPECIALLY no females. Sorry for the long intro but wonder if anyone else resonates with my story. Thanks for listening :)

Hi! I'm Lulu, and I'm from Australia. I'm 17 years old and currently in the process of getting a diagnosis.

I love cooking and daydreaming and I have an obsession with elephants.
I also believe I might have ADD or ADHD

I also am not that great with introductions. Or carrying a conversation. Or anything to do with conversations

Hi! I'm Lulu, and I'm from Australia. I'm 17 years old and currently in the process of getting a diagnosis.

I also am not that great with introductions. Or carrying a conversation. Or anything to do with conversations
Welcome to the forum LulaRina! I also have ASD and ADHD and daydream lots too!

:elephant::elephant::elephant::stew: welcome, I like vegan food especially mushroom Bolognese and cantonese veg curry,also Alice springs kangaroo sanctuary and the added wombat and camels

Hello, I'm Sera - 33F from Northeast OH who is currently awaiting an official assemement and diagnosis. I also suspect I have ADHD as well. Cooking, music and gaming are my hobbies of choice(mainly WoW and Tekken 7). I hope to meet great new people here in the community!

Hello, I'm Sera - 33F from Northeast OH who is currently awaiting an official assemement and diagnosis. I also suspect I have ADHD as well. Cooking, music and gaming are my hobbies of choice(mainly WoW and Tekken 7). I hope to meet great new people here in the community!

I also enjoy cooking and gaming :)

Hello, my name is Isadora.

I'm going through a very difficult time at the moment. My mum is very sick and it's an overwhelming time for me though I am trying my best to be there for her.

I like writing and reading and designing and making things.

Nice to meet you.

Hello, my name is Isadora.

I'm going through a very difficult time at the moment. My mum is very sick and it's an overwhelming time for me though I am trying my best to be there for her.

I like writing and reading and designing and making things.

Nice to meet you.

Hello, hello. I'm an autistic man from Minnesota with an autistic child. I'm a husband and a father. I wish everyone here well. My greeting, "Hello, hello." was the first line in one of my favorite movies that's out of print to my knowledge. A 1987 Canadian film called I've Heard The Mermaids Singing.

New Threads

Top Bottom