• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

does it take effort to speak?

Yes, I was born in 57, so it was not something anyone paid attention to then, for sure. :) My aunt has told me she can remember when I was a baby, I was so easy because I would just sit in my crib quietly and entertain myself. And I was in second grade (parents probably encouraged by teacher) when I was taken to speech therapy to learn to talk. (Nope, nothing abnormal there. lol) But I remember being made to play barbies with my neighbor - I loved barbies but didn't like playing with other kids because you had to talk and I didn't like to talk.
We liked barbies, she liked motorcycles. :p

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...rucial-in-autistic-girls-20170404-gvd3kk.html

I was telling my son about the responses on this post and that someone had written they'd rather grunt if they could. He laughed and said he would, too, and sometimes he DOES. I said, "Yes, that's what started the conversation on the subject to begin with," LOL

That's really neat, I'm glad that someone is on board with my strange language. There are just too many conflicting emotions that words cannot begin to describe, all while being grammatically correct, while not writing a paper on "how was your day?".

It depends on the situation but currently my self diagnosis includes ADHD and I can be that very chatty type typically associated with ADHD. I have been shamed for it much of my life. But I can definitely experience situations where I have nothing to say and do not wish to engage with people or where I am so overwhelmed I just can't really form proper sentences.

It depends on the situation but currently my self diagnosis includes ADHD and I can be that very chatty type typically associated with ADHD. I have been shamed for it much of my life. But I can definitely experience situations where I have nothing to say and do not wish to engage with people or where I am so overwhelmed I just can't really form proper sentences.

:eek: my boyfriend does the same but he has anxiety lvl 10 out of 10. Generally his anxiety is 7 i think that's very high. Would this count as overwhelm when he gets to 10?

:eek: my boyfriend does the same but he has anxiety lvl 10 out of 10. Generally his anxiety is 7 i think that's very high. Would this count as overwhelm when he gets to 10?
I do have a diagnosis of anxiety and take meds for it. I haven't got social anxiety, it is generalised and I am simply in constant fight/flight/freeze mode. I wake up feeling anxious and cannot function. The inability to speak proper sentences or form thoughts I can articulate, or retrieve information that normally I know, is usually the result of being overwhelmed by all that it takes for me to engage with other people, trying to understand them and expressing myself accurately, possibly dealing with overwhelming emotions and battling to block out sensory input that interferes. I often have the experience of not really seeing the material world around me but being entirely in my own head instead. I have to work hard to see the world around me and that is draining. The anxiety meds don't help with all of this but they do reduce the overwhelming stimuli so that it is a little more manageable, and make me less likely to be constantly in that fight/flight/freeze state.

I do have a diagnosis of anxiety and take meds for it. I haven't got social anxiety, it is generalised and I am simply in constant fight/flight/freeze mode. I wake up feeling anxious and cannot function. The inability to speak proper sentences or form thoughts I can articulate, or retrieve information that normally I know, is usually the result of being overwhelmed by all that it takes for me to engage with other people, trying to understand them and expressing myself accurately, possibly dealing with overwhelming emotions and battling to block out sensory input that interferes. I often have the experience of not really seeing the material world around me but being entirely in my own head instead. I have to work hard to see the world around me and that is draining. The anxiety meds don't help with all of this but they do reduce the overwhelming stimuli so that it is a little more manageable, and make me less likely to be constantly in that fight/flight/freeze state.

I can relate to the 'not seeing the world around me' but in a different way, it's like my mind runs relaxedly on my thoughts and its really annoying if someone tries to make me pay attention to things, especially unimportant ones, which mom often does, but particularly when im tired. The interruption is bad bc my thoughts are really valuable and useful to my life. Mom also doesn't have patience for my thinking to finish its process, it doesn't take long cause I rush it, but she interrupts me again insisting. I thought that might be from ADHD

Boyfriend has been on a lot of meds and even overdose in a mental hospital, now he is very adverse to any type of meds, he will never take them. He tries to deal with anxiety all on his own. Plus he has chronic and bipolar depression which is really deep, its awful. Hes quite awesome though even with all his struggles.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Kind of hard to explain to someone who is the opposite and who comes from a family that speaks loudly constantly. I mean, they'd give you guys a headache - each one talking over the other and no one on the same subject and no one listening to the other. Just all talking. It's crazy to me.

But to me, it does take an effort to speak, especially if I'm tired or stressed. Does it you guys?[/QUOTE]

OMG! You must be talking about my wife's family!

When I was younger and before being diagnosed I had a hard time not talking. The problem was that I wanted to talk about my specials interests that no pone else cared about. Of course, when *they* went on about whatever nonsense *they* were into I was supposed to listen and pretend I cared. I also had a hard time not talking too loud. Since my diagnosis I've gotten a lot better at both having a two-way conversation and controlling the volume of my voice. I don't know if it's because I've "matured" or somehow become "less autistic", but I know I used to have a lot more anxiety and talking a lot can be a symptom of that.

Anyway, the sil is a fool. She sounds like one of those people who talks a lot, but says very little, if you know what I mean.

is that throwing down the gauntlet? :D

a wolf got the urge to consume a pubescent girl wearing a rouge cloak at her granny's house.

A tree surgeon burst through the entrance of granny's house, swung an axe, the result being a swift, clean cut straight through the wolf's neck.

game over.
Scarlet works better than rouge.

Speaking definitely takes a significant amount of effort for me. If I'm experiencing strong emotion, sensory overload, or too much anxiety or stress, it gets increasingly difficult for me to speak, to the point where sometimes I won't be able to force my vocal cords into action no matter how hard I try. But other people don't seem to understand this, no one who's met me in person actually believes me when I try to tell them that sometimes I am literally incapable of speaking.

I relate. I stumble if its to emotional or to fast. Either miss pronouncing words or forcing them out. Most times i listen everyone else talks.

New Threads

Top Bottom