• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does having ASD make it tougher to learn drawing fundamentals?

Most people would hate me if I put up a picture. I draw people, paint, have done horses, cats, and stuff like that. I find that I plateau at a point and then I decide one day to just do more detail or whatever and bam, its 10 times better. It just really depends on the person. I have had no formal training and have had a painting looked at by an art critic. They said I was "gallery ready". I was amazed with that. Anyway, maybe I should add up an image???

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ijBdSurCWk9rxN4N6 - Hand and energy, done on phone with ArtRage.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/STEU1iPiegzJZFqi8 - Original map, though I am going to redo it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ste6YvsbXiYFePh26 - Vegeta in a blizzard done for a book I wrote in Fanfiction (long story, but done for a specific scene).

Let me know if you want to see more too.

Most people would hate me if I put up a picture. I draw people, paint, have done horses, cats, and stuff like that. I find that I plateau at a point and then I decide one day to just do more detail or whatever and bam, its 10 times better. It just really depends on the person. I have had no formal training and have had a painting looked at by an art critic. They said I was "gallery ready". I was amazed with that. Anyway, maybe I should add up an image???

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ijBdSurCWk9rxN4N6 - Hand and energy, done on phone with ArtRage.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/STEU1iPiegzJZFqi8 - Original map, though I am going to redo it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ste6YvsbXiYFePh26 - Vegeta in a blizzard done for a book I wrote in Fanfiction (long story, but done for a specific scene).

Let me know if you want to see more too.

Very nice!

Part of the spectrum is we're each unique in our strengths and weaknesses, and I can definitely say that my area of weakness is definitely your talent.

Would love to see more if you care to share! :)

I have incredible fine motor skills (and terrible gross motor skills, for the most part - I can do the tiniest most precise thing and then stand up and walk into a wall) and am (or was, though I don't really do art anymore) a gifted artist. With one notable exception - I'm terrible, absolutely terrible, at drawing people. I've never been good at it, and it's not for lack of trying. I can do the most incredible drawing of a flower, or an animal, or a mechanical device, but then I try to draw a person and it comes out looking horrible. Like it definitely wasn't the same person doing the drawing.

I suspect I have more face blindness than I realized...this became pretty clear to me when I was watching a TV show lately, and I kept losing the plot because I couldn't tell which character was which (they all look similar except for one, with blonde hair, who stands out). I strongly suspect that face blindness and inability to draw people are related - it makes sense to me, at least.

i have been drawing all my life and definitely found it difficult to learn it even though I spend the vast majority of my free time doing it. It might be because I also have ADHD but I spent a lot of time thinking of things that contribute the the speed at which one would learn art and I've come up with this:

Spatial Perception - can help with drawing things in perspective and is important when learning how anatomy and perspective works

Attention Span - not really in a way it sounds though. This is more about the rate of noticing mistakes. I am super bad at this and to counteract it I usually try to flip & rotate my canvas every few minutes as well as waiting until I post so that i can notice and fic mistakes later. I realize its harder for traditional art but maybe finding a work around for this could help a lot.

Hand-Eye Coordination
- its an obvious yet big one but I've heard it is too hard to make your hand work right if its not due to a disability you might be drawing with the wrong hand and I heard some people actually found it easier to draw once they learned the other hand. There also some very effective exercises that can help. (they work as i used them to become ambi during my cts era)

Pattern recognition - this is obvious but to make learning easier, it is important to look at complex objects and recognize easy shapes. It took me years to finally understand how but if it is hard to do it would be easier to do studies and draw over photos to find those shapes.

Inner Ruler - this is the most important and is linked to both your spatial perception and hand eye coordination but is your brain being activated when you are trying to draw something specific and sometimes there can be times that your head measures incorrectly. This often happens when you are drawing for too long and find a mistake, your brain tries to restart the image in your head and you wind up drawing correct measurements in place of the mistakes but they dont connect back onto the whole drawing so a good thing to help is again, flipping, and limiting the time you spend on a drawing even if its imperfect. I wind up just restarting art too because I fiddle for too long.

Imagination - I still have no answer for this, but some people have a hard time imagining what they want to draw in their head and that could lead to issues drawing. One of my friends is like that and struggling and if I ever find an answer I will make a separate thread or something haha.

I would imagine most people are atleast some of these down but I think a lot of ND people have more issues grasping some of these. I think through perseverance though as well as realizing what specifically troubles you to find shortcuts most ppl can learn even if

Imagination - I still have no answer for this, but some people have a hard time imagining what they want to draw in their head and that could lead to issues drawing. One of my friends is like that and struggling and if I ever find an answer I will make a separate thread or something haha.
I am very practiced in general anatomy eidonomy, but my face-blindness* limits my capabilities for specific, imaginary eidonomy.

My head collection helps me with faces... :eek:

*My prosopagnosia [face-blindness] affects more than just faces. It affects my retention of people's body particulars, even automobile grills...!

I am very practiced in general anatomy eidonomy, but my face-blindness* limits my capabilities for specific, imaginary eidonomy.

My head collection helps me with faces... :eek:

*My prosopagnosia [face-blindness] affects more than just faces. It affects my retention of people's body particulars, even automobile grills...!

Oh I'm actually also facially blind! I think its a bit different than aphantasia though, but it sounds like you might have both? + visual memory issues/some kind of pattern recognition thing?(I can imagine objects in my head but not recall or process faces) I actually read somewhere that facial blindness and pattern recognition are not governed by the same parts of your brain because facial recognition was more of an evolutionary adaptation back in the protohuman times? So people can have very good memory and object recognition but not process faces.(don't quote me on that it was years ago i just find this pretty cool) I think its a lot easier with faces when you go for cartoonier styles when studying fundamentals because you dont focus on trying to discern subtle differences in the face but more on how the body parts are located on the face? realistic faces are still lost on me probably for the same reason as you haha.

I had a paper route (10 miles on trike) up until Jan 2020. If you gave me an address on the route, I could visualize the house, at least in black & white.

Greater are the number of advantages by far.

A predisposition toward focussing on details,
and a tendency towards overfitting data,
associated [Ref?] with Autism,
can to lead to cumulative error.

Especially - if an additive or multiplicative method
of observational drawing is pursued;
Resulting in exaggerated or unintentional character,
Which can be interpreted as either obstacles or opportunities
in learning about drawing.

Subdividing stabilizes - as concordances accrue.
[starting from or 'consider[ing] the whole']

Multiplying distorts. - as errors accumulate.
[starting from a centre, or navel gazing]

By "holding" both sides of an object or space with the 'hands of the mind',
perception of the object is integrated into our phenomenal-self model of the world,
felt and known;

Similar to the way that musical pitch can be recognised, felt and known,
as a position of the muscular contaction in the larynx [or other instument],
that would be required to emulate a given frequency, whether real or imagined.

Taking care to Define our Terms,
[What is it to draw? or to learn...?]
and Isolate our Variables,

The ability embrace and modify a methodical approach,
To appreciate the pleasure of movement, of the pen acoss the page,
The availability of introspective subjective experience,
the appeal of analytical meta-cognition,
the immediacy of intuition and the language of gesture,
Preferring immersive activity, single-minded, absorbed.

All of these and more besides are traits to be met with in Autism,
All tendencies markedly conducive to the making and sharing of insights,
in learning about, and learning through, drawing,
and sharing those insights with the world.

Enjoy.

I was born with a love for drawing but I could "never get things to look right".

My art teacher acknowledged my talent and I got 'O' Level grade B.

I didn't realise that you are good at what you love, I just thought I liked art but wasn't that good.

I went out with an artist at age 28, I went to an evening class and bought "Drawing from the right side of the brain".

Both the book and the tutor taught me fundamentals that I wouldn't have minded learning in school because it was then I discovered I had a talent for art.

Like AS people can attain perfect pitch with singing, they can with drawing imitate line and colour.
Having said that, we draw with our eyes, and I believe everyone can draw, but you do have to have an interest to want to pick it up.

Attachments

• 220790B2-8627-4598-A886-C3FAEE1C3FBB.jpg
    220790B2-8627-4598-A886-C3FAEE1C3FBB.jpg
    902 KB · Views: 111
In my (albeit limited) experience, designers and technical artists can fall into two different skill sets. I can draw fairly photorealistically if I have an object/person in front of me to 'copy', but coming up with creative designs is far more difficult. On my team right now we have two seperate people covering design and 'created art' (i.e. putting those designs into usable format for the game). We are also looking for someone to focus just on editing/animating models that are already built.

So it may be that you have a natural talent in one or more 'art' skills, but need to work harder to reach the same level in other areas.

Everyone can draw.
We draw with our eyes.
As kids we forget to draw what we see and instead we draw what we think we see.

Everyone can draw.
We draw with our eyes.
As kids we forget to draw what we see and instead we draw what we think we see.

New Threads

Top Bottom