• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone wear the same clothes over and over?

Kalinychta

V.I.P Member
All my life I've had a very limited wardrobe. Having a large number of clothes/outfits would overwhelm me, whereas wearing the same ones over and over is soothing and familiar. Whenever I buy new clothes, I feel a certain amount of anxiety while wearing them because I feel very aware that I'm wearing them (as opposed to, you know, how normally when you're wearing clothes, you don't think about them or feel them?). Does anyone know what I mean here? I've even gone too far with it at times e.g. when a jacket or shirt or pair of pants gets stained or ripped, I'll still keep wearing it. Several years ago I had a jacket that had something sticky on the back that wouldn't come out, but I wore it anyway, and it was like an "out of sight, out of mind" type thing, like I thought that if I didn't see it or think about it, then no one else could see it either.

This is an autism thing, right? And can anyone relate to it?

Wear a lot of the same clothes over and over as well. A lot of my clothes are comfortable and fit me perfectly, so I don't want to part with them. Like a pair of hiking boots I had that I wore for a really long time, until they could no longer be resoled. I get attached to certain comfortable shoes and boots and shirts and pants, and become upset if they no longer fit, having shrunk in the dryer or become faded or worn out.

I do buy new clothing, when I need to. Socks, t-shirts, jackets, gloves, boots. But I would much rather wear the same clothing all the time.

No I think it could be purely from poverty as well !or from shortage ,there are many living survivors of the Second World War !who will just not buy things !they got used to shortages.

Actually I think my question is unnecessary. I just remembered that being extremely finicky and ritualistic about clothing is very, very common among autistic people.

Yes, I have the same 3 things I wear that I rotate. I have shirts I only wear at home that are all full of holes and ripped, but I don't care, because they are comfortable.
Seems to be something some people on the spectrum do.

When I find something comfortable I will buy many of them. I just discovered some jeans i like and bought five pairs.

Mmmm, kinda?

I typically wear PJ pants or sweatpants when at home, alongside my usual T shirt and socks. I'll often wear my hoodie as well because I sometimes get a bit cold. Only time I switch to Jeans and my Hoodie is when I'm going out some place.

Yeah, me too. I have a limited number of each item, and they're all the same style, such as polo shirts and khaki pants. I do laundry once a week, then wear the same clothes all over again. I will also wear a certain shirt pattern on the same day of the week every week. I've always done it. I don't see the need to have lots and lots of clothes. It seems that there is a subset of NT women who will only wear a certain item of clothing a handful of times before dumping it on a thrift store and buying something else. Some fashion stores such as Forever 21 actually encourage it to the point that thrift stores are starting to refuse items from those stores. There's a running joke in the US about a teen girl whining "I have nothing to wear!" while staring at a closet bursting with clothes that have been worn twice. The extreme is wealthy celebrities like Kim Kardashian who will spend $2000 on an outfit and only wear it once.

All my life I've had a very limited wardrobe. Having a large number of clothes/outfits would overwhelm me, whereas wearing the same ones over and over is soothing and familiar. Whenever I buy new clothes, I feel a certain amount of anxiety while wearing them because I feel very aware that I'm wearing them (as opposed to, you know, how normally when you're wearing clothes, you don't think about them or feel them?). Does anyone know what I mean here? I've even gone too far with it at times e.g. when a jacket or shirt or pair of pants gets stained or ripped, I'll still keep wearing it. Several years ago I had a jacket that had something sticky on the back that wouldn't come out, but I wore it anyway, and it was like an "out of sight, out of mind" type thing, like I thought that if I didn't see it or think about it, then no one else could see it either.

This is an autism thing, right? And can anyone relate to it?
T-shirts (muted color, not bright), jeans (usually minimal holes), white crew socks. I haven't worn anything else in months. Polo shirt when I need to dress up, maybe twice a year. I have a suit, 35 years old, worn little more than a dozen times. Having to wear a necktie to anything is like being the featured attraction at a necktie party.

I have plenty of outfits but always fall back to wearing the same things over and over.

I can't tell you how many times I've bought something cute that I'm super excited about, but then I go to wear it and I just... can't. It makes me too uncomfortable. I have multiple pairs of the same type of pants/shorts/shoes that I swap between, but I'm more flexible on shirts.

I have a bunch of patterned socks though and I try to match them to my activities for that day.

I wear the same seven outfits every week. But doesn't everyone wear the same clothes over and over? It's not like people use clothes once and throw them out. I'm probably misunderstanding something.

I can't tell you how many times I've bought something cute that I'm super excited about, but then I go to wear it and I just... can't. It makes me too uncomfortable. I have multiple pairs of the same type of pants/shorts/shoes that I swap between, but I'm more flexible on shirts.

I have a bunch of patterned socks though and I try to match them to my activities for that day.
how did I manage!! to keep !!on wearing neon socks in the 1980s !!!they were not!!!! cotton !!!!, or a swimming costume not made of cotton .

If its your favorite item, l can wear it forever if it serves several functions. Protect me from sun, also cover me up because l am old school, and it fits perfect for errands yet it isnt hot, and it's decent looking and finally easy to wash.

Just thinking about this myself recently.
I have a lot of clothes, most of which I seldom wear.
If I find tops that feel really good, I'll buy several in different colours, etc.
Only certain shoes will I wear.
I lay out several outfits and wear them over and over for weeks before I try to move on to a different
set. Just wash and wear and wear. Sometimes until I wear it out before I change to something different.
I've read that's an Aspie thing.

Not bad to ask, I feel like talking about it. New clothes are very uncomfortable at first.
I had these pants for... a few years. They got a hole at the knee and I just thought, well people buy pants with holes sooooo. Eventually it became very faded with two huge gaping holes at the knees. I like pajamas, and... pajamas! Recently I've realized it makes sense for me to get into fashion, a little. I think about aesthetics a lot in an artistic sense. Japan seems always ahead things, and I've seen great examples of cute but airy/comfortable clothes from there.

I have about 15 pairs of socks with an elastic that’s just great and no matter how i put them on, they always go on my foot like Cinderella’s shoes. Other socks can drive me up a wall.

In terms of shirts it is all dependent on not having a tag or being too tight.

I do buy a few outfits or clothes that I think look comfortable, but I have strong preferences for one or the other item, because it's comfortable and I like the color, and then stick to that item and often leave things that I've bought. If I find a piece of clothing I like and feels comfortable, I often buy 2 or three of them. I don't wear exactly the same thing day in, day out, but I do have distinct preferences so my clothes all tend to be similar.

I have about 15 pairs of socks with an elastic that’s just great and no matter how i put them on, they always go on my foot like Cinderella’s shoes. Other socks can drive me up a wall.

In terms of shirts it is all dependent on not having a tag or being too tight.
May I ask because it slightly intrigues me from your knowledge to a large percentage of American tops, shirts ,T-shirts ,have a size/washing Instruction label on them,This seems to have stopped with some cotton shirts and T-shirts in the UK and I heard some American members had never experienced it

I only have enough clothes to get me from one wash to the next, but that's because I hate shopping and clutter, and try to reduce the amount of decisions I have to make on a daily basis to avoid stress and decision fatigue.

I do have distinct preferences on style and material though, and I always cut the tags out of my clothes.

New Threads

Top Bottom