• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone on here like heavy metal?

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I think I became a fan either this or last year. I don't remember exactly. I don't know if i have a favorite subgenre yet, but I tend to lean towards the slower, more depressing doom metal stuff or doom infused stoner metal like Electric Wizard. I also like seeing death metal and doom metal intertwine like in Paradise Lost's earlier material. If people could recommend stuff in those styles here that would be great. Make sure to share some other kinds of metal that you happen to like. Maybe I'll like it too.

I love metal, especially 80’s and 90’s industrial metal and Black Sabbath influenced metal of all sorts (Goth, doom, and stoner).

Bands you should indeed check out:

Black Sabbath if you haven’t heard them already - The first true metal band as well as proto-doom band.

Saint Vitus - Only heard Born Too Late but it’s good 80’s stoner doom.

Swans - Not metal per se but still powerful and doomy. They inspired all the bands below as well as many other doom/stoner bands.

Ministry - One of the pioneers of industrial metal. Fast thrash metal inspired guitar riffs and electronic sounds with some slower and even dancey songs.

KMFDM - Another pioneer of industrial metal. Similar goal to Ministry but German instead of American. Also have some WONDERFUL female vocals.

Corrosion of Conformity - Ranges from crossover thrash to stoner metal.

Melvins - Ranges from punk-inspired quickness to slow doomy songs. They also influenced Soundgarden, Nirvana, Clutch, and Mastodon.

Neurosis - Since their Souls at Zero album, they’ve done doomy songs with also some punky quickness. Similar to early Swans and Melvins.

PIG - Raymond Watts’s band after his initial stint with KMFDM. Mind blowing industrial metal with ambient and orchestral moments. He also inspired Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson.

Prong - Thrash metal meets industrial metal.

Faith No More - Heavy metal with funk and avant gard

Godflesh - Industrial metal with Black Sabbath inspired riffs and slow but powerful doomy songs.

Helmet - A band that inspired many 90’s bands but hardly gets the credit. Lots of heavy riffs and jazz-like song patterns.

Godspeed - Only one album, 1994’s Ride, but it’s still worth checking out. Chunky Black Sabbath inspired riffs with thrash metal speed and cranky vocals.

Type O Negative - Gothic doom metal influenced by Black Sabbath and The Beatles. RIP, Peter Steele, by the way.

Life of Agony - Like Type O Negative with thrashier songs, at least on their first album.

Mastodon - A unique mix of doom metal, grunge, blues, hardcore punk, and old style country music.

The Sword - Semi-local band (Austin). They play Black Sabbath inspired doom metal in addition to heavy stoner fuzz.

Last edited:
I love metal, especially 80’s and 90’s industrial metal and Black Sabbath influenced metal of all sorts (Goth, doom, and stoner).

Bands you should indeed check out:

Black Sabbath if you haven’t heard them already - The first true metal band as well as proto-doom band.

Saint Vitus - Only heard Born Too Late but it’s good 80’s stoner doom.

Swans - Not metal per se but still powerful and doomy. They inspired all the bands below as well as many other doom/stoner bands.

Ministry - One of the pioneers of industrial metal. Fast thrash metal inspired guitar riffs and electronic sounds with some slower and even dancey songs.

KMFDM - Another pioneer of industrial metal. Similar goal to Ministry but German instead of American. Also have some WONDERFUL female vocals.

Corrosion of Conformity - Ranges from crossover thrash to stoner metal.

Melvins - Ranges from punk-inspired quickness to slow doomy songs. They also influenced Soundgarden, Nirvana, Clutch, and Mastodon.

Neurosis - Since their Souls at Zero album, they’ve done doomy songs with also some punky quickness. Similar to Melvins.

PIG - Raymond Watts’s band after his initial stint with KMFDM. Mind blowing industrial metal with ambient and orchestral moments. He also inspired Trent Reznor and Marilyn Manson.

Prong - Thrash metal meets industrial metal.

Godflesh - Industrial metal with Black Sabbath inspired riffs and slow but powerful doomy songs.

Helmet - A band that inspired many 90’s bands but hardly gets the credit. Lots of heavy riffs and jazz-like song patterns.

Godspeed - Only one album, 1994’s Ride, but it’s still worth checking out. Black Sabbath inspired riffs with thrash metal speed and cranky vocals.

Type O Negative - Gothic doom metal influenced by Black Sabbath and The Beatles. RIP, Peter Steele, by the way.

Life of Agony - Like Type O Negative with thrashier songs, at least on their first album.

Mastodon - A unique mix of doom metal, grunge, and hardcore punk.

The Sword - Semi-local band (Austin). They play Black Sabbath inspired doom metal in addition to heavy stoner fuzz.
Thanks for all of the recommendations!

Thanks for all of the recommendations!

You’re welcome! I have more if you want some but I need to know if you like funk and avant-garde music?

I love industrial metal not only for the music but because the bands tend to keep abreast with the zeitgeists, their scenes are open minded for the most part, and they’ve struck fear into politicians. The cyberpunk imagery is also aesthetically pleasing.

You’re welcome! I have more if you want some but I need to know if you like funk and avant-garde music?

I love industrial metal not only for the music but because the bands tend to keep abreast with the zeitgeists, their scenes are open minded for the most part, and they’ve struck fear into politicians. The cyberpunk imagery is also aesthetically pleasing.
Not familiar, but post some anyways.

I do. It's been a while since I listened metal regularly, but I was absolutely obsessed with Judas Priest in my teens.

Rob Halford, still my favorite singer.

Not familiar, but post some anyways.

Mr. Bungle - Yeah, Mike Patton’s singing is usually associated with Faith No More. However, Mr. Bungle was his first band and I like them more. Their songs range from jazz and funk fusion to death metal to even Middle Eastern melodies.
Their three albums from the 90’s are all must haves physically.

Faith No More - You may have heard their best known song, Epic, but they have so much better songs than that one. They have riff heavy songs (Surprise! You’re Dead! being a good one) and beautiful ballads (Evidence is their best). The album, King For A Day…Fool For A Lifetime, is a must have.

Primus - Funk bass riffs, unorthodox guitar effects, redneck vocals, and dark humor lyrics. Pork Soda is a must have.

Infectious Grooves - One of Mike Muir of Suicidal Tendencies’s other bands. Thrash metal mixed with funk and hilarious humor. They also have an awesome mascot, Aladdin Sarsippius Sulemenagic Jackson III or Sarsippius for short. He’s an “Infectiphibian” and thinks the band is his.

Fun fact: They have a hilarious diss track aimed at Rage Against The Machine.

Fantomas - Mike Patton’s most metal project. It’s also an all star ensemble with King Buzzo of the Melvins on guitar, Mike Patton’s longtime music partner Trevor Dunn on bass, and Dave Lambardo of Slayer on drums. Their songs tend to be super fast but also short similar to grindcore and Mike Patton rarely uses actual lyrics. Instead, he utilizes his voice like an instrument in a similar manner to Yamatsuka Eye.

I already listed PIG but I can’t stress enough how they really must be heard and they have some avant garde elements. Their music was also for a good time only available in Japan.

Last edited:
I like the 70's-90's "heavy metal" bands,...which is pretty tame by todays standards. The earlier stuff was not so musically layered and "compressed",...there was more separation between notes,...you could tap your foot to the rhythm. If you had a decent subwoofer speaker system, then it could capture the notes much better. Once heavy metal transitioned to this "machine gun" guitar and "growling" into the microphone,...not so much a fan.

I like the 70's-90's "heavy metal" bands,...which is pretty tame by todays standards. The earlier stuff was not so musically layered and "compressed",...there was more separation between notes,...you could tap your foot to the rhythm. If you had a decent subwoofer speaker system, then it could capture the notes much better. Once heavy metal transitioned to this "machine gun" guitar and "growling" into the microphone,...not so much a fan.

I tend to agree. Metal from the 70’s-90’s has a generally warmer sound and is more tastefully mixed. The compression used today to make everything sound huge tends to ruin the dynamics. That’s partly why I stopped listening to “extreme metal”. It’s impressive instrumentally, I won’t deny that, but the sonic pummeling is too much for me.

I do. It's been a while since I listened metal regularly, but I was absolutely obsessed with Judas Priest in my teens.

Rob Halford, still my favorite singer.

Powerful vocalist along with Ozzy Osbourne, Bruce Dickinson, and Ronnie James Dio!

During that period I probably was paying more attention to Talking Heads and Reggae. I've settled down to Indy with a mix of punk, like Against Me, Alkaline Trio, Green Day, and Gaslight Anthem/Brian Fallon.

Against Me sure has my number: (my last arrest was being accused of assaulting a TSA agent when I recited the 4th amendment. security tapes showed no such assault).
Then there is this by Alkaline Trio:

Last edited:

If you like Type O, I recommend Carnivore: Peter Steele's band before Type O. Fun fact: Type O Negative's first album was intended to be Carnivore's third.

I could recommend so many bands, since my college years were dominated by this stuff, but for starters I would recommend Celtic Frost, Opeth, Sepultura, Voivod, Kekal, and Cynic.

Frost and Voivod inspired so many different bands even outside the metal genre (Dave Grohl is a big fan of both).

Sepultura has had some interesting twists and turns in their nearly 40 years (although I'm more partial to the Max stuff pre-"Roots").

Opeth I haven't followed in a long time (I am under the impression they pretty much transitioned to progressive rock), but they made some great songs, and I'm personally a big fan of "Damnation" even if it was the black sheep album at the time.

Kekal is an interesting group originally based in Indonesia. They started out as more of a "white metal" band (black metal with Christian themes), but evolved into a more proggy, avant-garde act with lyrical themes focusing more on general spirituality. The album that seems to get recommended the most whenever they are brought up somewhere is "1000 Thoughts of Violence", though personally I'm a bigger fan of "The Habit of Fire". All their albums are on Bandcamp, which is how I was able to catch up with them after not hearing them for a long time.

Finally, Cynic, especially their first album "Focus", is a borderline jazz-fusion band. I have heard a lot of good things about their album "Traced in Air", but I haven't heard enough of it to get a solid opinion.

I could mention a bunch of other bands I think are interesting, such as Green Carnation, Nile (or Karl Sanders' solo albums that are more world music than metal), Atheist and such, but this post is long enough as it is.

One of the things I hallucinate is music, and the music is often heavy metal, though I don't listen to heavy metal. :eek:

I love a great many kinds of music (even jazz), but while I'm a fan of most older mainstream heavy metal, I'm a bit discerning in my tastes in regard to bands. My first taste of hard rock was Guns N' Roses in the 1980s, and around the time I made a new friend my freshman year of high school, Metallica released the "Black" album, Megadeth released "Rust In Peace", and I was hooked. However, I wasn't really a fan of "Ride The Lightning", preferring the sound of "Master Of Puppets" forward, but enjoyed most Megadeth material, including their debut album. Anthrax and other bands were hit-or-miss with me, and I really didn't get into the likes of Slayer.

I actually recorded some of my own originals in the mid to late 2000s, linked in my sig. I am learning now that various issues related to ASD made that a much more difficult undertaking than I realized, but after a lot of work, I was pretty happy with the finished product.

Not really sure what anyone would call it, it's hard rock / metal with rap in some tracks, and I wonder now if some of those songs weren't the Aspie in me struggling to find their place and be understood. Honestly, as I've gotten older, my tastes have gotten a bit more mellow and fickle, unless it's actually SPD changing what I like and I just don't know it.

Last edited:
I love hard rock music from 70s/80s. My favourites are Rainbow, KISS (Which is my newest special interest particularly the 80s era and former KISS member Eric Carr) and I also like music done by Dio, a bit of Deep Purple and also music from Vinnie Vincent Invasion and also Bon Jovi.

Just a few weeks ago a young friend told me she liked heavy metal and, being that I am 54 to her 17 years, I wondered if we were both thinking of the same music. It is a relief to know that it is! Haha!:p

I do like some metal, because I’m a percussionist and the drum technique really appeals to me.
But lately I’ve gotten more into folk metal… or whatever the hell you wanna categorize this stuff as (according to YouTube and iTunes, it’s folk metal, don’t know how accurate that label is.)

Just a warning about Heilung: some of my friends found their music really disturbing and physically uncomfortable to listen to. If you don’t like it, you should shut it off pretty quickly. I won’t go into the whole thing about how their music has shamanic healing properties (I have found it to be very healing and that it kind of puts me in a trance… but I’m sure some of you don’t believe in that stuff so I won’t try to preach it.)

Heilung, Shireen, and Wardruna are the artists I’ve included here. Definitely not for everyone lol but I love all of them.

Last edited:
This song got me into Folk Metal, but I dislike most of it that I hear, then again that goes for all music - I'm very picky. The below is a good example of the benchmark a band can set, and why the rest of the album tends to feel like filler, because they peaked on one song.

Another decent folk metal band from Finland

I'm drawn towards music which is very heavy emotionally, as opposed to the usual generic trash that comprises most genres. Might sound rather conceited, but I know what I like and dislike. I started off exploring music as a metal head, but over the years I got disheartened by how formulaic most seemed. Also I find the lyrics, the look and the energy rather laughable. I guess I just moved on. I listen to metal now and then, but after 20+ years it's a little stale.

This one is a slow build. It's by a metal band, but this isn't very metal. It's more about the instrumentals, but there is some minimal singing as the song progresses.

Djent

Intro on this is pretty harsh and generic, but two thirds of the song contain some amazing instrumentals, and again - all about the build up, which is a shame that the intro is so brash:

Nintendocore mixes various subgenres such as screamo, hardcore, grindcore and chiptune. A novelty at best. But I find something appealing about how raw it sounds. Even though the overall quality is fairly sub-par:

https://youtu.be/1zeYQtnTSUQ

Cybergrind- much like Grindcore it tends to be short and very aggressive songs, but with the added glitchiness of electronics

https://youtu.be/ZcqicXmsFEg

However, I'll finish on someone is a a genuine musical genius. Breakcore has been fused with Metal subgenres by several artists, but Igorrr has literally defined his own genre. If you appreciate technical music that fuses all sorts of genres, then you'll appreciate the genius in this man's music. He has an opera singer and death metal singer in his entourage

https://youtu.be/hbWZlR-uAIg

Imo live music sucks, the vocals never sound as good as the album and the tempo of the songs is completely wrong. To someone like me, it's a horrendous experience, because I know how the song should sound, and live music makes it sound different, which makes my brain start to fizz. Add into the equation deafening volume and large sweaty crowds and I'm out.

In this video you really see the true wonder of an operatic voice in this video, plus with electronic musicians the tempo of the song tends to remain correct when compared to live band music. The way she goes from Opera to Metal vocals is impressive too:

https://youtu.be/1Rk1K5Mmnbg

I knew a few people who moved on from Metal and onto Breakcore and other underground electronic genres. Because it retains the energy and aggression of metal, but it's something new and novel:

https://youtu.be/yONnzPMPOj0

Right, that's enough spamming.

Ed

Last edited:
What are people’s opinions on whether Tool are a metal band or not? They are tough to classify. Metal heads tend to contest what they are. They have heavy riffs, that’s for sure. Encyclopedia Metallum features both Melvins and Helmet, two bands Tool are not just influenced by but are friends with as well, but they don’t feature Tool.

New Threads

Top Bottom