• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone like this music? It's different.....

FIVER

I found this guy called Tom Macdonald.
He was in a rat infested, cockroach house in LA, California when he shot the video Dear Rapper, then the video Castles 3 years ago. He does everything himself. He and his girlfriend Nova. No agent, not signed to any labels.
It's something different, but it is real.
Check him out on YouTube. I like the underdogs. I like supporting the underdogs.
His most recent work labeled him controversial, but he tells it like it is.

Nova Rockefeller is his girlfriend.
She is a person with Aspergers.
Check out her music too! She is on many of Tom's videos as well.
Recently No Good Bastards

I do have slight interest in hip hop music, in recent years I've known some local rappers, don't have the same connections anymore...

My favourite is "roots music"/folk music, but I once went to a rap show in mid-winter, wearing my black cowboy hat, and long winter coat :) Yeah, I fit in that night... :p I've almost made it a point sometimes to wear a cowboy hat to hip hop shows... :D

I haven't had much experience with rap, but I like this guy. I like his song, Best Rapper Ever. Song about addiction.

This is not my style of music at all, but I must say that this guy is pretty good. I watched Church first, came out just a few days ago. I have great respect for people who can make stuff without beating down other people.

Just listening to Tom right now...

Just for the record not all rap/hip hop has to be "gangsta" rap, which is the worst kind for lyrical content... I learned this from local friends...

The event I used to attend for local hip hop was trying to show a more positive side of that world, avoiding the darker side of the lyrics...

The other side of the coin... One poet I know here in Canada - Ian Keteku (check him out!) - started out in the world of hip hop but he was bothered by the lack of respect within the community in general, just the nature of how people in that community communicate... So he started to turn to Spoken Word performance poetry/poetry slam, where he has had far more positive experiences...

Just listening to Tom right now...

Just for the record not all rap/hip hop has to be "gangsta" rap, which is the worst kind for lyrical content... I learned this from local friends...

The event I used to attend for local hip hop was trying to show a more positive side of that world, avoiding the darker side of the lyrics...

The other side of the coin... One poet I know here in Canada - Ian Keteku (check him out!) - started out in the world of hip hop but he was bothered by the lack of respect within the community in general, just the nature of how people in that community communicate... So he started to turn to Spoken Word performance poetry/poetry slam, where he has had far more positive experiences...

Yes. Tom MacDonald is definitely not gangster rap. I will check out Ian Keteku!

If you scroll down on Tom's YouTube, he has several spoken word performance pieces.

Tom is Canadian too.

Further reflection...

I've always been drawn to good quality Spoken Word poetry, sometimes called Poetry Slam, more in the performance vein, where the reader evokes mood by the way they speak and/or perform, a good performer doesn't even need music or a back track...

For almost ten years I was heavily involved in the local poetry slam scene here and the annual Calgary Spoken Word Festival, through my photography, caught some amazing performances! A person can learn how to listen to the words while photographing the performer...

And if anyone wants some poetry that is more Christian in content for poetry check out Micah Bournes, and amazing performer!

I never listen to rap because I can't ever pick out the lyrics as I'm listening. I usually just look up the lyrics instead. Sometimes it works out then.

Nah, Tom Macdonald isn't for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom