• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone know what motive my coworker possible could have had?

Maybe that's what she used to do before you came along. Because she can't be bothered to do her job.

It's very likely that she has issues on more than one field.

Or maybe she's studying birds she steps on for fun, or enjoys watching them not fly.

In the case described you and a co-worker had differing opinions on what should be done, the supervisor decided. That sort of thing happens in workplaces all the time.

The thing is, that was resolved in probably less then an hour while you have managed to fret over it for a year.

Last edited:
because I hyperfixate on things. Especially when it comes to people and social behavior. If something has left a mystery to me I won’t let it go until I finally figure out why. I won’t let things go until I get answers as to why. This situation among others are being replayed in my head over and over and still pondering why. And especially considering the emotions I felt during this scenerio was filled with anger and frustration and I’m always trying to figure out why ppl do things. Letting go of things is the one thing that I’m unable to do.

I too would hyperfocus on this, though probably more so worrying about the bird. In relation to your question though - this 'coworker' may be one of the many jerks that walk around out there, go shopping, work etc who like to be awful to other people. It doesn't make sense, but they're out there. They exist.

but like i literally told her the bird cannot fly and got stepped on and it's wing is hurt. I couldn't have been more clearer to her. It doesn't take a lot of experience to realize if a small animal like a budgie got stepped on and it's hurt to the point it couldn't fly. She also was trying to sound like she was my boss and ordering me around.

It sounds to me like she was trying to make you second guess your decisions so that you refrain from taking initiative. Particularly if she lacks self confidence and feels that she has to compete with you for rewards. I would suggest that you be professional, but not be too chummy with her unless she has earned your trust.

Last edited:
Your coworker shouldn't be allowed around animals. Ever.

The bible makes it very clear how God feels about animal cruelty.

"A righteous man regards the life of his animal, but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel."
Proverbs 12:10

These types at work always expose themself , then you know how to proceed daily in relation to them. Little as possible, and make sure to document things in dealing with them so that their bad decisions don't have consequences for you.

Right now l know a disgruntled waitress because the bartender keeps giving free drinks on her shift. She doesn't want those bad choices jeopardizing her job so she spoke up to management about it. This maybe a poor example but l hope you see some meaning in it.

So last summer I worked at a zoo. (was going to this year again but covid-19 happened). One day when we were really busy and understaff, a guest notified me that a bird (parakeet, aka budgie) got stepped on and couldn't fly. So I went to get the net to catch it (was super easy to catch) and went to get the carrier so I can radio the vet to bring the bird to the vet.

When I was about to leave the aviary with the bird, my coworker, (who has worked at this zoo longer then I have) asked me what I was doing and I explained everything to her clearly. How the guest saw this bird get stepped on and it's wing was damanged and couldn't fly. And this coworker said "well a lot of birds in this aviary can't fly, the bird is fine" and decide to reach in the net to take the bird and put it back on the ground..

I was angry at that point so I went to get my supervisor in which she agreed that bird needs to go to the vet and helped me take it to the vet in which I caught it easily a second time.

Now throughout that summer I was told by several of the keepers working in the same area that if a bird cannot fly. It has to go to the vet.

Meanwhile the coworker that stopped me acted like this was never the case and that all the budgies can't fly. (which isn't true they all can fly, they aren't clipped, they like to hang on the ground when seeds fall from the feed sticks and like to forage)

and it has been a little over a year and I am still trying to figure out why would a coworker, who has more experience at the zoo tell me I was wrong when in fact I was actually right?

hope my question makes sense. It still bugs me. And I have aspergers so reading people is always difficult and can't figure out her motive as to why she would insist I was wrong.
If I was any good at working out people's motives I wouldn't have most of the problems I have but I will try, can't promise I will be right though.
Poor parakeet getting stepped on but good for guest who notified you.

When I was about to leave the aviary with the bird, my coworker, (who has worked at this zoo longer then I have) asked me what I was doing and I explained everything to her clearly. How the guest saw this bird get stepped on and it's wing was damanged and couldn't fly. And this coworker said "well a lot of birds in this aviary can't fly, the bird is fine" and decide to reach in the net to take the bird and put it back on the ground..
It sounds like your co-worker has not got much empathy. I am not a fan of zoos, would rather animals who can't live in the wild are put in sanctuaries.

Good that you got your supervisor who agreed that bird needs to go to the vet and good she helped you take it to the vet, and also that you caught it a second time.

Now throughout that summer I was told by several of the keepers working in the same area that if a bird cannot fly. It has to go to the vet.
That sounds like one of the better zoos, some are just for tourists and take no care of animals.

Dunno but maybe as your supervisor proved you right, maybe your co-worker was trying to "save face"

I ruminate on things, it does no good, its painful.

Bottom line, some people don't like to be in the wrong, especially those who lack empathy for other people or animals feelings.

Maybe your coworker was trying to make out you were in the wrong as she lacked empathy but you turned out to be right. Hope that helps and hope the parakeet recovered and could fly.

New Threads

Top Bottom