• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone create all their friends in their head?

btw, who are the characters you imagine?
A whole cast of characters - for example, when I have to decide whether I need to see the doctor, I have a conversation with my doctor. A friend from 30 years ago, with whom I used to talk about subject X, now, when I think about subject X, I imagine talking to that friend.

My imagination is very visual, and very strong. If I think of a person, I automatically "see" the person in my imagination.

I KNOW that this is how my mind works its way through an idea or thought. I don't mix up people in my imagination with the "real" person (that would be sooo awkward...).

Yes, I have an imaginary friend who has been with me for a few years. He would say some great words to comfort and encourage me when I was in pain. I'm doing fine now so he's rarely seen and I miss him, but I know he's still there. Rarely, he would show up and talk to me when I was calm.

Sometimes I think, it's a bit of a pity that I know what he said is my own imagination, I can't deny that I'm talking to myself in my head, which means he doesn't really exist. But he really eased my loneliness and healed my pain. And anyway, I love him.

Yeah I've done this too - but usually it's not imaginary people (imagining things is not my forte :) ), it's people I know and look up to.

I don't have imaginary friends. But I do use my imagination. I'm in a wheelchair, and a lot of people I know live in places with stairs. Although I can climb stairs quite well, I can't ever hope to visit anyone, and it hurts so bad.

People don't often come see me. It's not their fault or mine. It's just a post-covid fact of society. I feel indescribably crippled and lonely because of it. All I have is my imagination. So, quite often, I'll hold with all my heart, onto an idyllic image of visiting. Maybe a living room scene, or back yard. It's a painful practice, but it's all I have, usually.

I do have crutches of different kinds, and can walk really well with them. But not far enough to catch the bus. So, the only way I can see my loved ones is if they come to visit me, or pick me up.

Even with my father, who was in the hospital for a long time. Unless my parents take a long drive, and come pick me up, I can't go see him in my wheelchair. My mom works every day, and they live on the second story. So, what I do to visit my dad, is I drive my power chair to their stairwell, and he can come downstairs and visit with me. I could, quite easily, go up the stairs. But I can't leave my 2000 dollar power chair just sitting on a sidewalk. And I feel so crappy having to settle for that. Especially with my father's illness.

I wish I had a manual wheelchair. Or better yet, I wish I had a car. All I'd have to do is take my crutches down to the car, and then drive wherever. The whole world would open up. I would be able to take my daughter where she needs to go, I could go to any grocery store, visit my family, it'd be wonderful.

Crying right now, thinking about how lonesome I am. I hate this so much. Even right now, I'm holding fast to images of people I love, idyllic settings. I can feel sort of a physical pain in my heart, like It's being torn apart, when I do it. But the painful reality of being away from people I love hurts so much worse.

First of all I am sorry if this post made you sad @Yeshuasdaughter It was never my intention to make anyone sad, I should've put a trigger warning on it.

Second of all, I also imagine situations with friends and people, since I am not good at making friends and most of my life I have been shunned and bullied by NT people.

Since I was a lonely child I created a friend in my head and many imaginary friends. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be for you.

I am very sorry that life has been hard for you but at least we both have this wonderful forum to talk to other people and I am content with this, personally..

They may not be able to visit and they may not be able to stop by but at least they are here to talk and the people I've interacted with I've liked a lot.

I do hope things get better for you.

Hypothasing scenarios for social interaction is natural - with the understanding that hypothasis alone is not realistic when being in real-life situations.

It can be helpful to note those occassional (sleep) dreams involving social situations.

I can't write well about a fictional character to save my life, but I've noticed that a lot of people see my body but make up almost everything else they think they see, as a composite of people they used to think they knew. With great effort, I can escape their definition, but I have very seldom been able to improve the accuracy.
"When two people meet, there are actually six people present. Each person as they see themselves, each person as they see the other, and each as they are."
- Robbie Burns

New Threads

Top Bottom