• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone create all their friends in their head?

elgat0verde

Mister Doctor Professor
V.I.P Member
I don't know if this question makes any sense.

Over the years, I've created people in my head which whom I talk to

I grew up as a lonely kid so, to cope with the loneliness, I created a voice in my head that I treat like it's someone else, a friend.

Does anyone else do this?

I have done this my whole life.

Sometimes it's a character from a book, show, or movie, and sometimes it's just a person I've imagined. I used to do a lot of writing (I still do sometimes), and I would base a lot of the dialogue in the book I was writing off the conversations I would have with the people I created in my head.

I was also a lonely kid, so maybe that's what it stems from.

@elgat0verde
I have always done this, too, although slightly different. Usually it is something that I feel attached to in the moment. It could be a stuffy, certain rocks, or stones, the clouds or the rain. I am always seeing faces in things, like woodwork or fixtures. Usually a personality for these faces forms in my mind and sometimes I will make comments to them.

I was also a lonely kid, so maybe that's what it stems from.

I am starting to suspect this, for me, it's just a part of me that used to cuss me out but, lately, it's been quite supportive and guiding me through the tough days.

This "person" is the one that told me to start doing acts of self-love like eating better and exercising.

I have always done this, too, although slightly different. Usually it is something that I feel attached to in the moment. It could be a stuffy, certain rocks, or stones, the clouds or the rain. I am always seeing faces in things, like woodwork or fixtures. Usually a personality for these faces forms in my mind and sometimes I will make comments to them.

You know, I used to play with rocks and sticks as toys as a kid, rocks would be cars and sticks people.

As of late I found a stuffed animal that I loved as a toddler and have kept it in my room with me, sometimes I mentally talk to it and sit it next to me while I'm playing video games and tell it things.

A lot of my "friends" exist entirely "in my head." I have specific "friends" I (mentally) discuss specific subjects with. This is cool because even when we disagree we can't help liking each other because "we" are "me."

It is not always satisfying, though, because my inner pal can not adopt any position or standpoint that I can not imagine, so I get nothing new - it does help me figure out what I know, feel, and think, though.

(when I need an external point-of-view, I talk to the dog)

Over the years, I've created people in my head which whom I talk to
I did this as a kid. It feels a little funny saying this here, it's not something I ever tell people about.

My social peers were not the kids that I grew up with, my peers only ever lived in my own imagination. There's no schizophrenia, I have no alternative personalities. In fact quite a few girlfriends over the years commented that it must be a bit boring to wake up in exactly the same mood every day. There was never any projection of imaginary friends that were in the real world with me either. I was always a daydreamer though, some of the happiest times of my life happened inside my own head, that's where I went to escape from everyone else.

My friends inside my head were always the best friends I ever had, I always trusted their judgement. There's three of them, there's an old man from the 1600's, a primitive jungle boy, and a modern era little girl. None of them have names, they never needed any, we all knew who we were.

The old man. He's from roughly the 1600's, sometimes earlier, sometimes a little later, always pre-steam age. He's usually a Blacksmith, although sometimes he's a Musician and sometimes he's a Court Legal Advisor, sometimes he's just a poor Farmer. He represents society itself, how society would react to my decisions. I spent a lot of time talking to this bloke, trying to explain my problems in what I imagined are terms that he could understand. 9 times out of 10 I came off sounding like a whiney little b-word.

The jungle boy. He is me but completely unfettered. He is the human animal. His preferred aspect is as a young man completely naked except for a pair of long knives, that's how he catches food to eat. He stole the knives. He is completely solitary and social issues have absolutely no meaning to him. Eat or be eaten, that is the only consideration. Trying to discuss anything with him takes a lot of effort but it's worth it, once again you have to explain yourself in terms that he can apply to his own life. He occasionally appears in my head unexpectedly with a warning, usually something like "This place smells wrong. We should hunt elsewhere.". I never listened as often as I should have.

The little girl. She's only three or four years old, at that age children have a very strict view of right and wrong, they are not yet capable of understanding social nuance and grey areas. She represents Absolute Morality, if you want to justify your actions or decisions try explaining it to her in terms that she can understand, if you ever make her cry then you really are a sick individual. She points her finger at me a lot, "You behave!".

I always consulted my three best friends with any decision I ever made, all four of us had equal votes. Any decision always required consensus, three to one. If there was a tie I did not have the power of veto, if there was a tie then I did not have enough information to make a decision. The only answer to that is to go looking for more information. I had to create a cheat for myself in the end, if I could supply two valid reasons for doing what I wanted then I got two votes. That's actually a lot harder than it sounds, try it sometime, never making a decision unless there were at least two separate reasons for doing so. Even today they're still my best friends, there's a lot of comfort in knowing that they'll be with me until I die. Funny how I keep getting older and they don't.

I had imaginary friends as a kid. I also remember I would talk to myself (still do but mostly in my head) and I often imagined fictional characters being with me at various places like an amusement park or something

i had an imaginary friend as a child, but i dont remember what it was like. and in my head i dont actually hear thoughts or see pictures, so its hard to imagine having conversations with an imaginary friend... when i think, its like i'm silently thinking the words, no audio, no visual.

My inner monologue is my own best friend, if that makes sense. It is me, but not.

Edit: I do have irl friends, both online and in person, and a partner, but no one understands me the way I understand myself.

I had imaginary friends as a kid. I also remember I would talk to myself (still do but mostly in my head) and I often imagined fictional characters being with me at various places like an amusement park or something

I also had imaginary friends growing up myself, but I think I just put them in my head to be "normal"

I did this as a kid. It feels a little funny saying this here, it's not something I ever tell people about.

My social peers were not the kids that I grew up with, my peers only ever lived in my own imagination. There's no schizophrenia, I have no alternative personalities. In fact quite a few girlfriends over the years commented that it must be a bit boring to wake up in exactly the same mood every day. There was never any projection of imaginary friends that were in the real world with me either. I was always a daydreamer though, some of the happiest times of my life happened inside my own head, that's where I went to escape from everyone else.

My friends inside my head were always the best friends I ever had, I always trusted their judgement. There's three of them, there's an old man from the 1600's, a primitive jungle boy, and a modern era little girl. None of them have names, they never needed any, we all knew who we were.

The old man. He's from roughly the 1600's, sometimes earlier, sometimes a little later, always pre-steam age. He's usually a Blacksmith, although sometimes he's a Musician and sometimes he's a Court Legal Advisor, sometimes he's just a poor Farmer. He represents society itself, how society would react to my decisions. I spent a lot of time talking to this bloke, trying to explain my problems in what I imagined are terms that he could understand. 9 times out of 10 I came off sounding like a whiney little b-word.

The jungle boy. He is me but completely unfettered. He is the human animal. His preferred aspect is as a young man completely naked except for a pair of long knives, that's how he catches food to eat. He stole the knives. He is completely solitary and social issues have absolutely no meaning to him. Eat or be eaten, that is the only consideration. Trying to discuss anything with him takes a lot of effort but it's worth it, once again you have to explain yourself in terms that he can apply to his own life. He occasionally appears in my head unexpectedly with a warning, usually something like "This place smells wrong. We should hunt elsewhere.". I never listened as often as I should have.

The little girl. She's only three or four years old, at that age children have a very strict view of right and wrong, they are not yet capable of understanding social nuance and grey areas. She represents Absolute Morality, if you want to justify your actions or decisions try explaining it to her in terms that she can understand, if you ever make her cry then you really are a sick individual. She points her finger at me a lot, "You behave!".

I always consulted my three best friends with any decision I ever made, all four of us had equal votes. Any decision always required consensus, three to one. If there was a tie I did not have the power of veto, if there was a tie then I did not have enough information to make a decision. The only answer to that is to go looking for more information. I had to create a cheat for myself in the end, if I could supply two valid reasons for doing what I wanted then I got two votes. That's actually a lot harder than it sounds, try it sometime, never making a decision unless there were at least two separate reasons for doing so. Even today they're still my best friends, there's a lot of comfort in knowing that they'll be with me until I die. Funny how I keep getting older and they don't.
That's so cool!

Mine are just me talking to myself I guess but from an outside perspective? I do consult with him about decision, tho, and he usually has a good head on his shoulders when it comes to them.

He used to be very hateful tho, he'd tell me horrible things at times, but I have come to realize that it was just my parents talking and insulting me and belittling me.

As stated now, he's the one who's guided me through this path of self-love and discovery and encourages me to do what I have to do. He's become an amazing passenger in my head.

I really like how you expressed yourself and your friends. Thank you for sharing :3

My inner monologue is my own best friend, if that makes sense. It is me, but not.

Edit: I do have irl friends, both online and in person, and a partner, but no one understands me the way I understand myself.
I think I can say this about myself as well

Like, I talk to myself but there's someone else listening in my head or something like that

New Threads

Top Bottom