• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone collect Funko?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I don't think I'm planning to start...

A friend of mine keeps talking about it, about collecting virtual images (I think)

I'm still slightly confused, how he talks about buying and selling images, making money with credits he earns, etc..., he tried to describe it to me but it still doesn't make much sense :rolleyes:

I'm far more into the real world, things I can touch, things I have actually seen in person, etc... Not to say that Funko isn't a good thing

Last edited:
I collect Funko pops and even had a custom one made of my favourite KISS member Eric Carr, I agree about having the real tangible figure over a digital one and much prefer the real figures.

Are you talking about NFTs? I don't understand that at all or have any interest in that either. Or cryptocurrency or anything like that. But I'm probably not smart enough to understand it lol.
Do Funko pops have something to do with NFTs now? I'm really behind the times then :eek:
I thought Funkos were the figurines you can buy at the mall that are usually based on a character from something.

I don't collect Funkos (the tangible ones) or anything else that's based on a show or a movie or a game or a comic book or anything. But I do collect art figurines/statues, although they're real-world animals, not characters. I have mostly dog ones and a few game birds, and one cat.

It's a interesting concept. The CEO has licensing rights to a lot of shows, they have digital representations of figures and physical figures. Shows like batman, tv cartoons and they are branching into anime next. So it's NTF and physical figures. The company releases digital (pops) that you buy and sell. These aren't reproduced to increase their value. Then a new collection will be released in 80 days. So in the past my daughter collected Pokémon cards, well now kids collect digital cards instead is the closest way l can describe it. She would trade her cards with her friend. Now you can trade on a grander level by using digital representations. However Pokémon isn't available, l used this as an example. Please feel free to correct me. This was just a rough idea of what l gleamed from the website.

Last edited:
Does it have something to do with NFT's? Someone told me I should buy that a while ago. I looked at it but I don't really get it, it's just pictures. It seemed odd. And I saw people who had lost many, many thousands of dollars on it so I didn't want to get involved. This digital stuff is so vulnerable.

Last edited:
Never get into cryptocurrency/NFTs if you aren't confident about your familiarity with them. It's far more volatile than stocks. In short however: An NFT is not a picture, but a digital receipt that is able to act as proof of ownership of anything, it's been used mainly for images but I've seen it used for music as well. The receipt is what is sold, it's a way to force value onto something which can be copied forever because of its digital nature. This fake uniqueness can be thought of as similar to the modern art money laundering. Except where that has an established market of elite rich people, NFT's live and die by their ability to sell others on the idea that it's profitable, hence you will find a bunch of secretly desperate people convincing others to get into it.

NFTs? Best beware of it. There's been a whole lot of... legal problems with those. Like, A LOT of legal problems. And a lot of genuine scams involved.

It also just is... illogical, from a spending point of view. Think of the idea of buying an image, right? You arent being sold even an image. You're being sold a LINK to an image and a promise that you "own" it (while having a slimy salesman whisper "you can profit from this" in your ear as you decide to buy). Think of it that way. And anyone, ANYONE, can absolutely just copy-paste it themselves and keep it, whatever the image is, if you ever show it anywhere (and if anyone tells you that cant be done with a particular image/whatever, they're lying or ignorant about how computers and the internet work. If an image can be shown on a screen, if a piece of music can be played through a speaker... it can be copied/saved, simple as that, by anyone.)

And the truly hilarious part? NFT images in particular... ugly as heck, almost all of the time. Why? Because they're mass produced... by using proc-gen. Proc-gen and AI are... not very good at art. The results are often funny at best.

I dont even want to know what NFT music must sound like. I really dont.

Never get into cryptocurrency/NFTs if you aren't confident about your familiarity with them. It's far more volatile than stocks. In short however: An NFT is not a picture, but a digital receipt that is able to act as proof of ownership of anything, it's been used mainly for images but I've seen it used for music as well. The receipt is what is sold, it's a way to force value onto something which can be copied forever because of its digital nature. This fake uniqueness can be thought of as similar to the modern art money laundering. Except where that has an established market of elite rich people, NFT's live and die by their ability to sell others on the idea that it's profitable, hence you will find a bunch of secretly desperate people convincing others to get into it.

Yes, exactly. Well put.

So I knew it seemed weird, he's almost pushing me into trying it... No, I wasn't planning to bite... I'll just keep saying "no thanks"

Thanks, sounds like the emperor that has no clothes on. But he has links to his clothes, you just need to go down a dark NFT alley to get to them. Lol

I tried to access the SEC filings on this company and they won't open. Seems fishy.

Last edited:
A musician here made some NFTs and sold them for around $600 000. In 5 hours. That's a decent hourly wage. But it doesn't make much sense, I think he is the winner and the buyers are going to lose money.

The value of collectibles of nearly any kind no matter how unique all tend to suffer in a bad economy.

Leaving the obvious question. How far are we from a bad economy? Or are we really already there? Yeah.....:eek:

The value of collectibles of nearly any kind no matter how unique all tend to suffer in a bad economy.

Leaving the obvious question. How far are we from a bad economy? Or are we really already there?

I think we are there. We are in a bad economy up to our ears.

Of course. But consumers haven't figured it out yet. They're too busy attempting to make up for lost time during a pandemic. Out and about for the holidays paying very high prices with cash they may badly need in the near future. More debt to pay off with ever-increasing interest rates.

Last edited:
Of course. But consumers haven't figured it out yet. They're too busy attempting to make up for lost time during a pandemic. Out and about for the holidays paying very high prices with cash they may badly need in the near future. More debt to pay off with ever-increasing interest rates.

I have been tightening all things that could be tightened for a while now. When inflation hit 8% and kept climbing I was thinking that might not be a good sign. :eek:

We are up to our NTFs in bad economy.
This company just bought a old Macy's 90,000 sq ft in NY, hiring 30 employees. They basically have the plastic replicas of the ntfs in the store.

My children collect Funko pop figures. They're cute, if you like them (the figures, not my kids. My kids are cute whether you like them or not. :p)

As for NFTs and cryptocurrency, there's a reason they're crashing. Their value is not based on anything physical or backable, but solely on the idea that someone else says they're valuable. It's based on a "value consensus."

Crypo enthusiasts will tell you that our current monetary system is based on the same thing and they're right. The US dollar isn't backed by anything. It's only worth something because everybody agrees that it's worth something. The value of the dollar fluctuates daily in relation to other currencies because the consensus changes. So crypto folks say, "It's just like money."

They are missing a big difference - tradition and precedence. The dollar took over 100 years to go from being backed by gold to its current "virtual value" status. We slowly transferred the trust in the value of a gold-backed dollar to the trust in the same dollar unbacked by gold. With crypto assets, there was no transition - it arrived on the scene with nothing for us to trust apart from some people saying that it's trustworthy. That trust and the consensus of its value is not firmly established. That's why cryptocurrency and NFTs are going through a big crash right now.

New Threads

Top Bottom