• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody else's obsessions cause them to feel negative emotions?

barappo32

For example, when I get too into something I'll feel empty whenever I'm not around it. Everything else is boring. I can't focus on anything other than that thing. I feel unmotivated to work on my own projects because I feel like nothing I do could live up to that thing. In some cases, I find that I've explored everything there is to explore with this interest and end up feeling depressed whenever it pops into my mind.

Is this just a me thing? I have to pull myself away from an obsession once I get too into it for the sake of continuing with my life.

I know I'm NT and I assume you are talking about special interests, but what you are describing is exactly how I feel when I'm in love. So even if I have never experienced this in terms of a SpIn, I still can relate to the feeling.
It's sad that you feel that you have to pull yourself away from it to avoid the negative feelings. Doesn't that possibly make you feel worse, or does it work?

Perfectly normal. Hyperfocus and special interests.

A while ago I was "encouraged" to go to a family BBQ. They all sat outside did absolutely NOTHING for hours and said "isn't this nice?". No.
It's pointless. If I could just focus on my special interest, and just that, I'd be happy.

But as you probably suspect, it's not always healthy. I can hyperfocus to the point where I don't eat or lose my day job. So I'm forced to fight it every day in order to live in the world. What I do is carve out time to pursue my interest each week and try to look forward to it. Not ideal by any stretch but it's the best I can do in my situation.

I know I'm NT and I assume you are talking about special interests, but what you are describing is exactly how I feel when I'm in love. So even if I have never experienced this in terms of a SpIn, I still can relate to the feeling.
It's sad that you feel that you have to pull yourself away from it to avoid the negative feelings. Doesn't that possibly make you feel worse, or does it work?

It works surprisingly quickly. I get a sharp rush of emotions whenever I see something related to the interest which seems to quickly go from positive to negative. It almost feels like I'm physically aching whenever I think about it for the first few days, but once I've been away from it for a short while I start to move on. After at least a month in most cases, the feelings subside and I can safely indulge in the interest without anything bad happening. In the most recent situation, I had to stop watching a series halfway through the third season because it was starting to consume my thoughts and I felt numb when I wasn't watching it.

Now that you mention it, though, the feeling I get when I'm away from the interest is oddly similar to the feeling I get when I'm away from a person I love. I even use the same methods of escapism to distract myself from both feelings. It's extremely confusing.

If you look at what an obsession is:

"An idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind."

It is pretty much a given it will affect your emotions both ways.

Yes, I feel like that when I'm focussing on something and 'on a mission', and eveything else including work is an unwanted distraction, chore or intrusion.

Been there, done it, bought the T-shirt :)

It's something I've had to control in order to stay in work and have a stable relationship, but I make as much time as I can afford to get lost in my SI.

When I have what I call a “project” it’s better than love with a person! I live for being immersed in a project and just left alone to enjoy it, except for those awful moments to pee and eat.
To be kept away from my project is sometimes agony but I guess it’s good to get away for a while and then when I can get back into it, sweet sweet reunion!

In the past there have definitely been some times that I allowed my special interests to get in the way of everything else, even when I knew it was a mistake, which caused plenty of problems. It IS hard to get away from something that is taking over your mind.
And @sarepta I especially hate when a special interest becomes a person and have even wondered how other people are able to do things away from their mates. But then, once I see that person for who they are I want to get away far as fast as I possibly can.
I'd much rather be obsessed with a subject at hand. And if I have to leave it for a time, it is a bit depressing.
(Added) Yet, spending too much time brings guilt.

Yeah, it's happened to me as well. Trick is to learn how to control your obsession as to not have it take over.

I have a love and hate relationship with special interests. I am consumed by thoughts about them 24/7 and do not have the control to stop myself. Sometimes they do get in the way of life. on the other side, if i don't have special interests for a while i tend to get sad and depressed.

New Threads

Top Bottom