• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does any one have tools for getting to sleep?

I like having a blanket over my covers as i sleep, it makes the covers heavier and warmer. I feel calmer an safer then. I also sleep With a plush, a alpaca i hug around as I sleep: )

When I start the habit of staying up late on the computer, it guarantees I don't sleep. I took valerian droplets and it gets me back into sleeping well. There's also little things, when some are combined together is effective. Getting good exercise, not going on electronics late, taking a bath or shower right before bed, putting lavender oil on myself, feeling like I did the best I could do during the day, having satisfied my hunger but not TOO full. But this is just me.

I like listening to a Pandora playlist called Sleepytime tunes ( children's ).Songs that are basically instrumental songs that put me to sleep and after a while it stops playing so it doesn't play all night just till I fall asleep.

Also when I'm playing the playlist I put the iPad or whatever device I'm using in sleep mode so I hear the music but I don't see the bright light of the tablet in the dark.

I can never fall asleep unless I'm completely exhausted. I've tried all of these suggestions, and none of them seem to work. If I exercise I get hyper for several hours but never crash, I can't change my diet because dinner is the only full meal I get, white noise or talk shows are just annoying and usually cause a meltdown, and I can't get weighted blanket or lap pad because my family doesn't think it necessary even though I know they help. Listening to my friends speaking can usually calm me enough to sleep. I've tried listening to recordings of them but my brain gets used to those particular sounds, and it won't work anymore. Melatonin and other sleep aids don't seem to help at all, one of them even made me hyper. Sorry this is so long, I'm just so exhausted all the time because I only sleep every other day, and I need to find something that works.

Try to relax then count backwards from 1000.
I read about this technique, tried it and it works for me. I think the theory was if counting sheep jumping over a fence, or a similar idea, there is no challenge in counting forward so the brain becomes quickly disinterested and starts to wander onto more interesting or pressing things. By making oneself count backwards from 1000 the brain stays engaged as the numbers don't flow as easily, therefore it helps the mind not to wander as it has something to concentrate on, but as it's still boring, sleep comes easily in a short time. I usually get to around the 700s, then next thing I know, I'm waking up in the morning. It's worth a try, I also tried one count to each breath but my mind started to wander so I had to persevere with that modification.

I take melatonin (or sometimes smoke some weed if I can be honest here). Right now I have melatonin pills that also have l-theanine and 5-htp, and I take magnesium citrate with D3. I remember reading that it's common for people with neurodevelopmental disorders to be lower in melatonin by nature. I don't remember if that was specifically ASD or what though. I like my mix a lot because the melatonin puts me to sleep without grogginess the next day, and l-theanine and 5-htp are good for dopamine and serotonin neurotransmitters (especially since I take meds like SNRI and dexedrine). Magnesium is suppose to be good for sleep too. I used to take sleeping pills every night but now I take this and its much better. Melatonin is also great for getting back into a proper sleep cycle because it's the hormone we already produce to regulate our circadian cycle (that's why you should only ever take melatonin at night, its not a sedative it's a hormone that tells your brain it's night time and time to sleep).

If you're really struggling, there is also gravol/benadryl but prepare for grogginess. Itll knock you right out but you'll be groggy the next day for sure and it's definitely not something I would rely on regularly.

Otherwise, I try to make sure I take at least an hour or more before bed to wind down, dim the lights, read or watch something calming, listen to calming music or meditation, basically I try to send my brain as many "it's time to prepare for bedtime" signals as possible. Have some tea or milk every night before bed and train your mind to associate that with bedtime, same with dimming lights, etc. I also need a cool but not cold (but definitely NOT warm or hot) room, lots of pillows to choose from and a lot of soft blankets. A soft one underneath and some on top is so comfy. If you have or can get a weighted blanket, that might help as well.

Are you on any meds that might be interfering with sleep?

RESOLVED: blue light at night interferes with sleep!

A while back I got a Kindle; prior to that I used my iPad for reading. I have noticed reading in bed at night is different with the Kindle, even though my iPad has the settings which move the light towards the red spectrum after sunset falls.

While those definitely help and I noticed the difference, the dim light of the Kindle is even more in tune with circadian rhythms, because I am feeling sleepy earlier and even sleeping better since using the Kindle.

But this can be cheaply handled by using amber-lensed sunglasses after sundown... which is what I did to try out circadian rhythm theory. Worked great!

I’ve been self-medicating with THC since I was 18 mostly just to get to sleep. Sometimes I can sleep without it, but my brain usually just won’t shut up.

If you seem to be doing everything else right, but still feeling exhausted, especially after sleeping or "sleeping" enough hours, eating right, exercising, then also consider a sleep study. Even insurances that cover the study may still not cover a portion of it leaving it very expensive. If a sleep study determines you need a CPAP, it could make a world of a difference for you. Everyone is different, but there are significant numbers of people who have lots of energy after using it. (Can't use a CPAP without the prescribed study.)

I got sleeping pills from my doctor. I also use an eye mask and wear earplugs so that it is quiet.

I have really soft blankets I sleep with - normally it's just one, but it's so cold right now that I need two (One is a Finding Dory blanket and the other is a Cars blanket I've had for nearly 10 years :)). The feeling of both blankets on top of me is relaxing. I also have my favorite plushies on my bed too. I have a Tsum Tsum plush of Dory that I usually hold in my hand, and that helps me fall asleep too....I'm not sure why, maybe it's because I generally find stuffed animals and soft textures soothing for sensory reasons. Wearing soft fuzzy socks to bed helps too, even though I might kick them off if my feet get too hot. :sweatsmile:

Other folks have also mentioned certain kinds of music and apps for relaxation - I must say I've never used an app to relax (might look into it tho) but what's helped me when I need to get some sleep in a car or airplane while traveling, just as an example, is to listen to a specific album I have on my MP3 player. It consists of Meryl Streep telling the story of the Velveteen Rabbit with accompanying piano music by George Winston. I just find it incredibly soothing - it's a story I love combined with really soulful, unique piano music.

...Also, my mom uses earplugs at night (not sure of the size or brand) in order to sleep (my stepdad tends to snore kinda loud).

Hope some of this helps :blush:

Most of the time I never have trouble sleeping. I am often blessed with really good sleep and no bad dreams... BUT I have this "thing" that shows up from what seems out of no where. I get afraid to go to sleep... My weird way to fall asleep is to stay up for nearly 40 hours (or how ever long it takes) and then crash like I did last night... I was fighting my little sleep demon for the past 2 days...
I have had to deal with this off and on all my life... I don't know what it is, or where it comes from, but its gone for now... I finally crashed about 6 last night slept like a baby and in that I am very grateful... Now I'm all happy and goofy so beware everyone : )

New Threads

Top Bottom