• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does any one have tools for getting to sleep?

hi struggle so so much to sleep, sometimes I can if I'm reallily tired but not often , what works for you?
stay awake during daylight your brain is designed to be stimulated by light and the opposite during darkness
DONT fight not sleeping ,do something to drain physical energy (walking is the best -has least impact on your joints go to very natural places, eat a balanced diet, no or very little refined sugar ,no caffeine decaf instead, no cola ,no energy drinks ,make your last meal very light and your first meal heavy- you've fasted

I usually search for sleep hypnosis videos on YouTube. Hit and miss for me, as I'm very picky about things like the persons voice.

Brain waves app... or for me I just go work out, or work physically hard enough to wear my self down to the point my brain is too tired to mess with me... I sleep like a baby most the time. One of the many gifts in this life that I cherish, is great nights sleep and no nightmares (at least not often).
Sorry if you are having trouble, brainwaves app truly seem to help me especially when I'm upset about something and cant get my brain to shut up over it. : )

stay awake during daylight your brain is designed to be stimulated by light and the opposite during darkness
DONT fight not sleeping ,do something to drain physical energy (walking is the best -has least impact on your joints go to very natural places, eat a balanced diet, no or very little refined sugar ,no caffeine decaf instead, no cola ,no energy drinks ,make your last meal very light and your first meal heavy- you've fasted

but Street... I need my sugar high, so I can crash and have to have another sugar high, and you cant take my Dr. Pepper. : ) I am only playing with you...

What you say is so true, its where I still battle the most. Sugar has to be the most addictive thing on this planet, and I was raised on it.

another member said its a gateway drug,
chance eat dates and nuts ,pineapples, grapes THEYLL knock out the sugar craving and probably save your pancreas and liver

another member said its a gateway drug,
chance eat dates and nuts ,pineapples, grapes THEYLL knock out the sugar craving and probably save your pancreas and liver

I'm game I love pineapple, grapes, nuts, dates (gritty texture thing) : (
Thanks

Ambient sound. Listening to the sound of rainfall, which is essentially an MP3 loop inside my clock radio.

I like using Calm app, it has Ambient music, meditations and sleep stories that people read to you.

Human voices make me sleepy, I listen to talk radio. I have been doing this pretty much all my life. If you are married or in a relationship, I suggest finding some comfortable ear buds or IEMs.

Complete darkness, and we're talking pitch black here, because my brain latches on the slightest ray of light as an excuse to stay awake, ambient sound (I really like the Relax Rain app), and heavy blankets because I haven't yet gotten a weighted blanket, but it's something I want to invest in.
I also have this weird contradiction: I need my window to be slightly open, but I can't feel any drafts, so that's always fun to set up every night.

I also take melatonin. It doesn't make me fall asleep per se, but it has reduced the time it takes for me to sleep, and my sleep quality has improved. I'm just not too happy that we lack studies on the effects after decades of use, because that's probably what's bound to happen to me: I've been an insomniac since I was 3, and there isn't a single sleeping pill that can knock me out, not even when combined with another.

I try to take a nightly walk, a few hours before bedtime. Also will sometimes do a bit of stretching and possibly some low key yoga. I'll turn off my computer and read something that doesn't require that I think too much. Towards that time, I'll lower the brightness levels on my monitor and attempt to calm myself a little with bedtime routines like a bath, brushing my teeth, my hair. Might have some herbal tea made from camomile, st. john's wort, mint or licorice. And like Katelya I do take melatonin, and occasionally aspirin to help me sleep.

I try to take a nightly walk, a few hours before bedtime. Also will sometimes do a bit of stretching and possibly some low key yoga. I'll turn off my computer and read something that doesn't require that I think too much. Towards that time, I'll lower the brightness levels on my monitor and attempt to calm myself a little with bedtime routines like a bath, brushing my teeth, my hair. Might have some herbal tea made from camomile, st. john's wort, mint or licorice. And like Katelya I do take melatonin, and occasionally aspirin to help me sleep.
Wait, mint is good to take at night? I was once told that peppermint would keep me awake like coffee & I never challenged it, but I love peppermint herbal tea.

I forgot, I also use an app that blocks blue light on my cell phone; on Android, Twilight is pretty good (used to be better, but I don't want to rant tonight), and I can't recall what's the one for iPhones, f.lux, maybe? All I know is that using it from sunset to sunrise makes a difference, it's annoying for the first couple of hours you use it, but I felt the benefits after just a few days.

Wait, mint is good to take at night? I was once told that peppermint would keep me awake like coffee & I never challenged it, but I love peppermint herbal tea.

I've not experienced any averse effects from it, as it seems to calm me. As far as my own experience with mint I've used it late evening for many years. Usually combine it with some ginger which helps with inflammation of any kind.

New Threads

Top Bottom