• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you want to be immortal?

Do you want to be immortal?

• Total voters
Hahaha I already wish I was dead at times (don't worry, I'm not suicidal or anything like that) why would I want to be immortal?

Life sucks, I wouldn't want it to last forever.

I'd be very curious to know the ages of the various responders. When I was much younger, the idea of immortality was very appealing -- or even just a very, very long life. I used to say I expected to live to the age of 124. I am now 68. My mother and maternal grandmother both died just before the age of 80. I think that will be enough time for me. Although there are many things I enjoy in life -- writing, reading, gardening (or at least imagining that I may one day do some), walking, swimming, riding my bike -- I find other people a great challenge. As they would still be around if I were immortal, I think I'll take my alloted span and then bow out -- gracefully, when the time comes, I hope.

If immortality included my body and mind from when I was in my prime - you bet.

But we are all mortal and there is only one known way of not getting any older. I have lived a very rich and rewarding active life and I'm not looking forward to getting over 80.

If immortality included my body and mind from when I was in my prime - you bet.

But we are all mortal and there is only one known way of not getting any older. I have lived a very rich and rewarding active life and I'm not looking forward to getting over 80.

I was thinking the same exact thing.
I have seen, done, and experienced way more stuff than most people my age, I'm extremely physically active, I have a rewarding and exciting life, I have a very fulfilling career, and I hope to continue this way until I'm elderly.

But I would not want to live to be more than 80 or 90 if it meant having dementia, organ failure, heart disease, cancer, etc.
If I could be 25-30 forever, then yeah, immortality would probably be appealing.

But, being immortal would also come with experiencing what's going on in the world until the end of time... which could include things like a nuclear apocalypse, climate disaster, AI uprising, world war, famine, political catastrophe... not sure I'd want to stick around for any of those things.

I didn't think about it at first, but I would not want to have a "groundhog day" scenario of immortality.

To be truly immortal, you'd have to be indestructible, but what if you go into outer space, and get stuck on a planet, or a black hole or something. You'd have to have superman like powers, otherwise, it has drawbacks.

To be truly immortal, you'd have to be indestructible, but what if you go into outer space, and get stuck on a planet, or a black hole or something. You'd have to have superman like powers, otherwise, it has drawbacks.

Thats what the bible says people are going to be, 'spiritual body' meaning its indestructible. Like Jesus he could pass through walls, but he could eat fish too with the disciples the fish just didn't pass through him i mean.

but he could eat fish too with the disciples the fish just didn't pass through him i mean.
When most people have trouble with fish it's because it passed through them much too quickly. :)

Yes I would like to be immortal. At this point it's the only way I can finish refurbishing my home and get everything done in my garden I think. So much work and only 24 hours in a day. :sweat:

How true. But then it's better to get that heart attack on the weekend. Right? :eek:

Last edited:
Based on physics we already have immorality, as information cannot be destroyed your existence is information every thought every action is stored somewhere. must admit makes it easy to be agnostic.
Must admit my stroke opened my eyes had some weird experiences during and since.
I have statistics for life expectancy. A number of my friends and I are close in age, so I expected one of us to pass away before we hit the next inflection point at 70, sure enough one of us passed. We even had a good discussion about what it would be like joked could not compare if I was correct sure enough he died a week later from a preexisting medical condition. still no sign from him.

Last edited:
Must admit my stroke opened my eyes had some weird experiences during and since.
As a man of science, you might enjoy reading a book authored by another man of science, Dr. Eben Alexander M.D..

A personal account of a well-respected neurosurgeon who suffered a rare illness which resulted in a near-death experience. In essence, "a scientist's case for the afterlife". And the inevitable struggle with his professional peers.

A book titled "Proof Of Heaven".

Whole basis of quantum mechanics, if you want fun read the book the black hole wars. even black holes cannot destroy information.

How are you so sure it cannot be destroyed? If the universe ends in a final state, and that same final state would have been reached from every possible initial state, than upon reaching it all information will have been destroyed.
I guess Steven Hawking now knows the truth. This really bothered him.

As a man of science, you might enjoy reading a book authored by another man of science, Dr. Eben Alexander M.D..

A personal account of a well-respected neurosurgeon who suffered a rare illness which resulted in a near-death experience. In essence, "a scientist's case for the afterlife". And the inevitable struggle with his professional peers.

A book titled "Proof Of Heaven".
I already had a personal experience. Either I Have a pretty good imagination or a really good ability to make connections when I sleep all I remember when I Woke up from the out of body experience was the answer you seek is information. during the experience I questioned why I am Not freezing and falling short of breath. I thought the bright light in the distance was the sun also sort of wondered how to get back as you cannot swim in a vacuum.

I'm agnostic. no faith just science weirdest part was being told in a dream I some sort of messenger. Really confused me, Covid or physics?

I'm agnostic. no faith just science weirdest part was being told in a dream I some sort of messenger. Really confused me, Covid or physics?
Point taken.

Dreams can be extremely tricky- and confusing in terms of whether they simply subconsciously reflect our psyche or something more profound, such as a "visitation" from the "other side".

I guess Steven Hawking now knows the truth. This really bothered him.
If you really want to know how information works read Claude Shannon's contribution this really opened my eyes after I had the stroke, I left the hospital and bought the from the great courses on information theory, and then had real warm and fuzzy feelings. everything made sense. cannot do the math the pro in physics do but just keep seeing things while I am dreaming. See my physics thread.

New Threads

Top Bottom