• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you try to hack your ASD/ADHD?

Do you try to improve your negative symptoms through hacks?

• Yes

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I'm an improver.

I'm also a bit obsessed with fixing and making better, and I see ASD and ADHD as hackable.

Obviously, there are genetic aspects, but even genetics can be hacked.

I'm interested in how many others do this, and if you don't, why don't you?

I'm defining a hack as attempting to "fix" one or more symptoms using herbs, supplements, diet, drugs, meditation or anything else really.

I choose a symptom, explore cause then test fixes until I find what works.

So far I've successfully hacked methylation cycle, gene defects, anxiety, depression, energy.

They all need more work though, but I've made a huge difference so far.

What do you have for energy? I'd love to hear that hack.

Every week, I pick out something I hate about myself and try to improve it. Whether autism or ADHD or whatever are the cause or an effect or whatever is incidental and usually part of the discovery process on how to fix it.

I've mostly, not totally but mostly, dealt with depression, paranoia, general anxiety, social anxiety, PTSD, as well as less-specific but often-related things like vitriol and bitterness. None of these are 100% fixed, which would probably be pretty unnatural if possible, but leaps and bounds better than they have been.

My philosophy on it is that you have to make your own solutions. The building blocks (the knowledge) for doing so are out there, but it's up to you to make your own bed and lie in it. Cookie-cutter solutions are a waste of time and effort for a neurology that's anything but cookie-cutter.

The actual nuts-and-bolts of how I come up with solutions is by following my general problem-solving process: learn, learn, and learn some more about the problem, and once you've learned enough the plausible solutions usually make themselves apparent; then it's just a matter of trying different things and seeing what works.

What do you have for energy? I'd love to hear that hack.

Every week, I pick out something I hate about myself and try to improve it. Whether autism or ADHD or whatever are the cause or an effect or whatever is incidental and usually part of the discovery process on how to fix it.

I've mostly, not totally but mostly, dealt with depression, paranoia, general anxiety, social anxiety, PTSD, as well as less-specific but often-related things like vitriol and bitterness. None of these are 100% fixed, which would probably be pretty unnatural if possible, but leaps and bounds better than they have been.

My philosophy on it is that you have to make your own solutions. The building blocks (the knowledge) for doing so are out there, but it's up to you to make your own bed and lie in it. Cookie-cutter solutions are a waste of time and effort for a neurology that's anything but cookie-cutter.

The actual nuts-and-bolts of how I come up with solutions is by following my general problem-solving process: learn, learn, and learn some more about the problem, and once you've learned enough the plausible solutions usually make themselves apparent; then it's just a matter of trying different things and seeing what works.

Absolutely agree.

you can't begin hacking until you learn the machine, and every biological machine is unique. Therefore we have to learn ourselves.

Energy - that's still the hardest for me.

I have genetic mutations in methylation cycle enzymes.

Following only make sense if you look at the methylation cycle.

SNP = Single nucleotide polymorphisms = single genetic variation/mutation.
Caps = Genes controlling enzymes

MTR, MTRR SNPs mean I don't process B12 properly.

But when I took B12 it didn't work, so I took Methyl B12 and Methyl folate. That worked for a while, but caused other problems.

I have COMT also, which means methyl donors cause problems and MAT1 which means I don't convert Methionine to SAMe very well.

So Methyl B12 and Methly Folate were causing COMT problems, and increase in methionine.

My doctors idea was to use Hydroxy B12 and Folinic acid to make COMT happy and to reverse the cycle to take the weight off MAT1.

This is working resulting in more energy, less mental fog, better mood.

My major SNPs;

MTR,MTRR - B12 problems
COMT - all kinds of problems inc. neurotransmitters
GAD1 - egh! don't convert glutamate to GABA - hyperactivity and other crap. 6-7 peanuts is enough to make me hyper.

Yasko-Methylation-Pathway.jpg

I am hacking. I feel that l must get my diet right first because of the toxin assaults due to mercury and pesticide poisoning episodes in my life and the SNPs on my detox genes. The autoimmune paleo did help me to get so far but stopped helping so l am doing the whole food plant based no salt sugar or oil. Some real progress now in combating diabetes .

I tried methylation but l don't think my nutrient status was up to it. I need other fixes first. I believe that the neurological damage in asd can fixed to a great extent, and it does not mean losing ones personality.

What is your eating plan?

I am hacking. I feel that l must get my diet right first because of the toxin assaults due to mercury and pesticide poisoning episodes in my life and the SNPs on my detox genes. The autoimmune paleo did help me to get so far but stopped helping so l am doing the whole food plant based no salt sugar or oil. Some real progress now in combating diabetes .

I tried methylation but l don't think my nutrient status was up to it. I need other fixes first. I believe that the neurological damage in asd can fixed to a great extent, and it does not mean losing ones personality.

What is your eating plan?

My goal is lowish protein paleo, but I have a gut issue to fix first that flares up with animal fats.

My diet is built through taking theoretical problem stuff away, then adding back after a few weeks to assess reaction.

I cut sulphites (I don't process sulphur and ammonia well, but I think fixing methylation might fix that) - causes anxietty, depression, fatugue in huge amounts. That's been the biggest gain.
Zero gluten - second biggest positive here. I think it damaged my gut, but also affects my brain. I can now tell if I have a gluten beer within the first bottle as I get brain foggy.
Very low sugar, low simple carbs - helps a lot, and I know simple carbs can deplete zinc, B6, b12 (I think), which I'm low in anyway. I get blood sugar swings so not good for me.
Zero tap water. Contains chlorine which reacts with tissue to create chlorammines (ammonia). We are on tank water now which is great.
Zero bottled water - same as tap. Some is ok, but never sure.
Lowish dairy, and only good stuff.
Very controlled glutamines. Very low nuts (grrr). Got to watch all forms of glutamine, no yeasts, no MSG. Any packet that says "no added MSG" means they got the MSG in by adding MSG containing ingredients like yeast.
Cheap or bad eggs - had a bad reaction to eggs last week and I think it was crap fed the chooks.
Zero nitrates - nitrates don't cause cancer (food industry claim which is true). The do react with animal proteins and your body to create nitrosamines which and proven to cause cancer.

Good stuff at the moment;

Good eggs - I have chickens and their eggs are great (lazy though and don't lay enough!), and one known good producer.
Lots of veggies.
Coconut oil.
Herbal teas - Gingko, Jaiogulan, Muira Puama, Liquorice - all boost dopamine.

Going to treat myself in a minute...

Coleslaw wrapped in lettuce leaves!

How decadent!

Now this is the kind of thing I like to see. Learning the workings and taking control of one's body.

If I didn't have bigger bodily issues which I'm hacking, I might be working on this too.

I don't like the idea of taking medication that changes the chemistry of the brain. The idea of that sounds scary.

Maybe if things were really, really bad, it might be necessary, but as things stand now, I'd rather put up with the difficulties I have than take something that would turn me into someone I'm not.

I don't like the idea of taking medication that changes the chemistry of the brain. The idea of that sounds scary.

Maybe if things were really, really bad, it might be necessary, but as things stand now, I'd rather put up with the difficulties I have than take something that would turn me into someone I'm not.

Fair enough, but you do that every day simply by choosing what food you eat.

Changing your body doesn't change you.

For anxiety at the moment I’m going for mind over matter with a trust that when I practice it enough my brain chemistry will change anyway, albeit slightly but effective enough to use as a foundation on which to build.

It’s early days but I’m after progress not perfection.
Getting some consistent results.

When my anxiety gets bad, I make uplifting and empowering playlists to play on my headphones so I have less trouble leaving the house.
I have trouble just going for a walk, I need a purpose when I go outside. When I feel at risk for another depression, I install Pokémon GO on my phone, so I have a reason to go outside and walk for extended periods of time. Now, instead of lurking in the dark, overeating and feeling miserable, I’m walking up to 100 km a week and developing a nice tan as a bonus ;)

My idea of hacks may be different. Some good. Some, definitely not good. I didn’t know about the spectrum and have used drugs in ways that altered my mind and personality.

Alcohol was definitely a bad choice. Not entirely without benefit, but never the outcome I desired. Marijuana helped me in many ways to reduce my intensity and make more room for others. Then there are always psychedelics. I don’t like pharmaceutical drugs, and wouldn’t take them.

Meditation is a great hack. The biggest challenge there is maintaining the practice.

There is no hack better then the feedback of a good friend to help you look at yourself and see how the world is relating to you. When I realized I am autistic, such feedback I had already received made it easier to perceive my ASD traits.

I could not take methylB12 so use hydroxycb. Zero gluten for me too and recently no dairy - that is a big one as I am addicted. I only use distilled water. Thyroid Hashimotos. I did well on a grain free diet although I had only been eating whole grains previously. Now I am back on grains but will have to cut them right back.

I was concerned to find there are no long term studies on high fat though some on kids with seizures. What I read led me to think that high fat is not good. My fats come from seeds and nuts, avocados.

I had to download my raw data again, on MTHFRSupport this time. Some of these did not come up on my original source.

MTHFR A*372C G GT +/-
rs1801131 MTHFR A1298C G GT +/-
rs17367504 MTHFR A1572G G AA -/-
rs3737964 MTHFR A4117C T CT +/-
rs13306561 MTHFR A4598G A AA +/+
rs13306560 MTHFR C-137T T CC -/-
rs17037390 MTHFR C10318T G GG +/+
rs4846048 MTHFR C24909T G AG +/-
rs1801133 MTHFR C677T A AG +/-
rs17037396 MTHFR C841T T CC -/-
rs12121543 MTHFR G16490T A AC +/-
rs2274976 MTHFR G1793A (R594Q) T CC -/-
rs1476413 MTHFR G18861A T CT +/-
CBS A360A A AA +/+
rs706209 CBS C*351T A AA +/+

Yes, because I used to take antidepressants, and have taken herbal teas such as camomile, or valerian or St. John's Wort in the past, to deal with depression and anxiety.

Yeah. I try to walk the same path as Full Steam(sometimes I am even successful!;). It is a life-long long process of learning and always trying to cope better. For us, it is not superfluous. We need every hack and advantage we can get to live in, be successful, and become happy as possible in this NT world. I'm up for it.

I do time restricted fasting(eat nothing after 4, then eat breakfast 14 hours later, at 6). Sleep became much better. workouts and power-lifting recovery categorically better and my Reflux/GERD went away completely(after being on proton pump inhibitors for 15 years). I cut out sugar as completely as possible. I do sauna 3-6 days a week(20 minutes each session). I eat as little omega 6 fatty acids as possible-and take Krill oil and vitamin D. I limit my consumption of wheat products. I regularly eat things like garbanzo beans, kidney beans and paleo grains like barely to feed my gut bacteria. I sometimes take probiotics but the research is not 100% on their efficacy and they are expensive. My IBS has not been an issue for 15 years.

I learned and mastered progressive muscle Relaxation techniques, behavioral sleep management, autogenic training, breathing techniques and have been practicing meditation/mindfulness for over 30 years.(I even worked as a biofeedback therapist at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago and taught all of these things to chronic pain patients before began working as a nurse). I use these actively in my life--every day. I also actively use cognitive-behavioral techniques actively all the time. Like Bolletje, music makes me feel so much better. I have certain songs that can stop my path to a melt-down.

I do many of the things on Full Steam's list as well. I do eat nuts( I may have to reconsider that)

Since my awareness of my AS, I have been adding to my arsenal. For example, now when I am in the locker-room and someone uses the hairdryer, I just plug my ears until it turns off. I have been a spinner my entire life, But after my AS awareness, I realized that spinning around counter clockwise usually makes me feel better(I reserve that one for home).

I really recommend Dr Rhonda Patrick at Found my Fitness. She is A PhD researcher and has many excellent videos on these things. She has many videos on the excellent research on how sauna improves the sensitivity of Endorphin receptors and the sweet spot for vitamin D etc. She is the Hack-Queen. I love her. I strongly believe that the cutting edge research that Dr S Panda is doing at the Saulk institute on time restricted fasting will significantly help the AS population. Dr Patrick has an interview with him on YouTube. I recommend that one strongly as well.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom