• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you try to hack your ASD/ADHD?

Do you try to improve your negative symptoms through hacks?

• Yes

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
CB005919-F35C-4EF1-ADDF-C8F7B74FBF21.jpeg
I’m not sure if it’s an aspie or ADHD thing, but this pic.

I’ve suffered from constipation since forever, but ever since I started taking two prunes each night, problem solved.

I suffered from IBS for a long time, but since I started taking apple cider vinegar every night, problem solved (2 spoons of apple cider vinegar, half a lime, two teaspoons of honey and warm water).

I didn’t know I was lactose intolerant for a long time and I suffered a lot because of that, until I connected the dots and stopped eating dairy. Problem solved.

I don’t know if it’s coincidence, but I’ve been eating only vegetables at night for a couple of months, and now I don’t have insomnia, nor do I wake up in the middle of the night.

I also take an omega 3 complex and a multivitamin every night, and take glucosamine chondroitin for joint pain in the morning.

I almost don’t eat sugar. I don’t eat red meat. I exercise every day.

What a lot of strange things people use the word "hack" for these days. I'm not broken, I don't need to be fixed. Especially by quack doctor "remedies" or whatever nonsense.

Im already on what I believe to be the right concoction or medication for me so now I aim more towards hacks in my thought and behaviour patterns.

I have ADHD and lately for some reason my impulse control has been fairly non-existent lately and the effects of that are really starting to bother me.

Step one of a mental hack, repeatedly having the thought that you need to find a way to change the action or behaviour. (consequences of crap impulse control act as a great reminder)

Step two, brainstorm creative ideas to interrupt the thought pattern during the times its running the thought script seemingly on autopilot. (Script? Is that the right terminology..? I'm not a total computer wiz)

My theory is the more ideas my mind can create when thinking of a solution, the more chances I have of success. I also seem to come up with a lot of great plans I class as brilliant/crazy lol

Okay thats about the current span of my concentration for now.

What a lot of strange things people use the word "hack" for these days. I'm not broken, I don't need to be fixed. Especially by quack doctor "remedies" or whatever nonsense.

Every single biological or electronic computer can be improved by small tweaks.

Even you.

These are called "hacks" as they are not officially recognised, and should be used and tested in individual scenarios.

I have one for open minded approach to life if you'd like to try it?

:)

Im already on what I believe to be the right concoction or medication for me so now I aim more towards hacks in my thought and behaviour patterns.

I have ADHD and lately for some reason my impulse control has been fairly non-existent lately and the effects of that are really starting to bother me.

Step one of a mental hack, repeatedly having the thought that you need to find a way to change the action or behaviour. (consequences of crap impulse control act as a great reminder)

Step two, brainstorm creative ideas to interrupt the thought pattern during the times its running the thought script seemingly on autopilot. (Script? Is that the right terminology..? I'm not a total computer wiz)

My theory is the more ideas my mind can create when thinking of a solution, the more chances I have of success. I also seem to come up with a lot of great plans I class as brilliant/crazy lol

Okay thats about the current span of my concentration for now.

Yes, script would be correct.

I completely agree, once the biology is in order, thought process changes make a huge difference.

I think it's like a diet, just choose your strategy or make one up and then stick to it until it works or fails, then do another.

Life is just a series of plateaus and you can't see more than one or two ahead, you just have to keep climbing.

Every level improves your view of what's possible and what you want.

Don't settle for any plataeu.

"There are no limit's on plateaus and you must not stay there" Bruse Lee.

That's demonstrably true - the universe is relative not absolute, and only the absolute can have absolute limits. We see dimishing returns, and plateaus and decide that they are limits.

That's my deep thinking for the day - over to you.

and keeps me stocked with neurotransmitters (I think we burn through these at a higher rate, simply by having more neurons AND being constantly stressed) along with therapeutic niacin for anxiety, which does wonders for me
I have just realized, having approached from the same direction, that I correctly identified phenotype in all these years of fumbling around.

I had always paid attention to the.. common dissuasion from using genotype to explain behaviours-- on ethical, as well as other grounds.
To my surprise: Having begun my first real audiobook, a well-renouned neuroscientist and post doc researcher-- finally alerted me that the culmination of my observations of self-- pointed to a very specific genotype-- particular SNP's and methylations.
I had spent years, and the ultimate result was a generalized collection of preferences and predilections. Which, I realized in some odd way, was a phenotype-- without actually using that terminology. Much of my self study was on aspects of mind.
I am astounded, at the predictive accuracy of phenotype, on genotype.
Now, I'll test
Geno-type, which I will now verify--- at least If someone could recommend a lab/vendor--
and it's ability to predict pheno-type.

This is a veritable "Rosetta Stone".

Ham and cheese omelettes worked best.

This.. is..

You just made me realize that this is the breakfast that I have quite unconsciously settled on.
I feel best after it. Them.

Witness "unconsciously":

My 3 BEST BREAKFASTS, for performance, concentration, wellbeing, etc, etc, :

1- Ham and cheese omelet, with garlic(which slows serotonin reuptake- mine is gobbled up.)

2- "Pizza" (mozz. pepperoni, saus.) Omelette

and,

3- Sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit or muffin
(preferably home-made).

Astounding..

I'm an improver.

I'm also a bit obsessed with fixing and making better, and I see ASD and ADHD as hackable.

Obviously, there are genetic aspects, but even genetics can be hacked.

I'm interested in how many others do this, and if you don't, why don't you?

I'm defining a hack as attempting to "fix" one or more symptoms using herbs, supplements, diet, drugs, meditation or anything else really.

I choose a symptom, explore cause then test fixes until I find what works.

So far I've successfully hacked methylation cycle, gene defects, anxiety, depression, energy.

They all need more work though, but I've made a huge difference so far.

I have been able to reverse Type 2 Diabetes, Polyneuropathy, and Psoriasis through diet, supplements, and exercise. I helped an uncle who is autistic reverse psoriasis which he had.suffered with for over 40 years. The most problematic gene mutations that I have are homozygous C677T, Homozygous MTR, homozygous MTRR, COMT, and Vitamin D Receptor gene mutations.

The main problems that I am still bothered with are dwpreasion, anxiety, and insomnia.

homozygous C677T, Homozygous MTR, homozygous MTRR, COMT, and Vitamin D Receptor gene mutations.

This is entirely unfamiliar to me.

Could you recommend some literature--
preferably a natural progression of concepts?

I could not take methylB12 so use hydroxycb. Zero gluten for me too and recently no dairy - that is a big one as I am addicted. I only use distilled water. Thyroid Hashimotos. I did well on a grain free diet although I had only been eating whole grains previously. Now I am back on grains but will have to cut them right back.

I was concerned to find there are no long term studies on high fat though some on kids with seizures. What I read led me to think that high fat is not good. My fats come from seeds and nuts, avocados.

I had to download my raw data again, on MTHFRSupport this time. Some of these did not come up on my original source.

MTHFR A*372C G GT +/-
rs1801131 MTHFR A1298C G GT +/-
rs17367504 MTHFR A1572G G AA -/-
rs3737964 MTHFR A4117C T CT +/-
rs13306561 MTHFR A4598G A AA +/+
rs13306560 MTHFR C-137T T CC -/-
rs17037390 MTHFR C10318T G GG +/+
rs4846048 MTHFR C24909T G AG +/-
rs1801133 MTHFR C677T A AG +/-
rs17037396 MTHFR C841T T CC -/-
rs12121543 MTHFR G16490T A AC +/-
rs2274976 MTHFR G1793A (R594Q) T CC -/-
rs1476413 MTHFR G18861A T CT +/-
CBS A360A A AA +/+
rs706209 CBS C*351T A AA +/+

I have many of the same gene mutations, but cannot take hydroxyl B12. I have to compromise and take Methyl B12 for psoriasis. This just.confirms.what l thought, that autism and many chronic diseases are caused by gene mutations that affect the methylation cycle.

I have just realized, having approached from the same direction, that I correctly identified phenotype in all these years of fumbling around.

I had always paid attention to the.. common dissuasion from using genotype to explain behaviours-- on ethical, as well as other grounds.
To my surprise: Having begun my first real audiobook, a well-renouned neuroscientist and post doc researcher-- finally alerted me that the culmination of my observations of self-- pointed to a very specific genotype-- particular SNP's and methylations.
I had spent years, and the ultimate result was a generalized collection of preferences and predilections. Which, I realized in some odd way, was a phenotype-- without actually using that terminology. Much of my self study was on aspects of mind.
I am astounded, at the predictive accuracy of phenotype, on genotype.
Now, I'll test
Geno-type, which I will now verify--- at least If someone could recommend a lab/vendor--
and it's ability to predict pheno-type.

This is a veritable "Rosetta Stone".

Specifically, @WereBear , I discovered that I have the long version of MAOA, and, due to childhood trauma, I have an extremely strong predilection against violence-- in my own experience, physical and mental/verbal violence.

The long version of this gene causes higher enzymatic activity, which is the mechanism of serotonin and dopamine reuptake.

Some of my neurotransmitters seem to "evaporate", as well...

I identified those exact deficiencies, prior to my discovery of the genomic causes..

I became aware of the methylation cycle and these gene mutations in 2017 when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and I read everything I could get my hands on to learn how to reverse diabetes. Initially, I gave up dairy products and most grains, except for Daves Killer Bread which is very high in fiber. I also tried to eliminate carbs from my diet, and added fruit and green leafy vegetables. I eliminated all meat except for pork, chicken, and fish. For snacks I have assorted nuts, and no chips. This diet is a Paleo diet with some elements of the Keto diet, and is very high in B vitamins.

Then I stumbled upon some articles online regarding MTHFR gene mutations and the methylation cycle. DNA testing was already a strong interest and I have tested my DNA extensively. Additionally, in 2017 I ordered a medical DNA test which identified many gene mutations including the ones I mentioned. I also downloaded my raw dna data from Ancestry.com to the Nutrahacker site and learned about specific supplements that would help conditions caused by these gene mutations.

I am 61 years old and self diagnosed as ASD1, but the gene hacking I described were to deal with type 2 diabetes, polyneuropathy, psoriasis, and kidney stone disease. It is possible that these genes in combination with other gene mutations play a part in autism. However, you are not likely to find a medical doctor anywhere who will take this serious because the official position taken by the CDC is that there is insufficient data to conclude MTHFR genes are associated with any of these chronic diseases. In my case I began taking supplements, changed my diet, and joined a fitness center, and within 18 months had lost 80 pounds, reversed diabetes, and took myself off Metformin.

I became aware of the methylation cycle and these gene mutations in 2017 when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and I read everything I could get my hands on to learn how to reverse diabetes. Initially, I gave up dairy products and most grains, except for Daves Killer Bread which is very high in fiber. I also tried to eliminate carbs from my diet, and added fruit and green leafy vegetables. I eliminates all meat except for pork, chicken, and fish. For snacks I have assorted nuts, and no chips. This diet is a Paleo diet with some elements of the Keto diet, and is very high in B vitamins.

Then I stumbled upon some articles online regarding MTHFR gene mutations and the methylation cycle. DNA testing was already a strong interest and I have tested my DNA extensively. Additionally, in 2017 I ordered a medical DNA test which identified many gene mutations including the ones I mentioned. I also downloaded my raw dna data from Ancestry.com to the Nutrahacker site and learned about specific supplements that would help conditions caused by these gene mutations.

I am 61 years old and self diagnosed as ASD1, but the gene hacking I described were to deal with type 2 diabetes, polyneuropathy, psoriasis, and kidney stone disease. It is possible that these genes in combination with other gene mutations play a part in autism. However, you are not likely to find a medical doctor anywhere who will take this serious because the official position taken by the CDC is that there is insufficient data to conclude MTHFR genes are associated with any of these chronic diseases. In my case I began taking supplements, changed my diet, and joined a fitness center, and within 18 months had lost 80 pounds, reversed diabetes, and took myself off Metformin.
This is all very new to me.

I'm extremely intuitive, in some ways.

I identified that anything but spring or well water
--- tasted like ammonia.
Chlorine degrades to ammonia.
Been chronically dehydrated most of my life--can't drink it.(Buying a Pur, immediately)

Settled roughly on a paleodiet-- health, wellbeing, mental attitude all improve.

-- I don't wish to use Ancestry.com.
Any other recommendations?

Edit:
I would use 23andme.
Is it comprehensive?

I will try to post links to some articles. There is also a book by a Dr. Ben Lunch titled "Dirty Genes" that has some information. The problem with Ben Lynch's work is that it has not all been supported by medical research, and the CDC and medical profession doesn't take it serious. So you are left to your own resources and trial and error to see what works.

I'm seeing in a kind of zen, right now.

I need the research that shows how the methylation cycle and snp's switch different effects and behaviors on-- without prejudice, if possible.
I wish to draw my own conclusions..

As far as what "mainstream" professionals believe...

Again, I'll draw my own conclusions.
;)

This is all very new to me.

I'm extremely intuitive, in some ways.

I identified that anything but spring or well water
--- tasted like ammonia.
Chlorine degrades to ammonia.
Been chronically dehydrated most of my life--can't drink it.(Buying a Pur, immediately)

Settled roughly on a paleodiet-- health, wellbeing, mental attitude all improve.

-- I don't wish to use Ancestry.com.
Any other recommendations?

Edit:
I would use 23andme.
Is it comprehensive?

I think 23 & Me would work. Check nutrahacker.com or the geneticgenie we sites to see what dna services they are able to work with.

Here is one article on nutrition if you have MTHFR mutations. Of equal importance are MTR, MTRR and COMT, and Nutrahacker can help with those.

MTHFR Diet | MTHFR Mutation Diet - MTHFRdoctors.com

I'm seeing in a kind of zen, right now.

I need the research that shows how the methylation cycle and snp's switch different effects and behaviors on-- without prejudice, if possible.
I wish to draw my own conclusions..

I would advise doing your own homework and drawing your own conclusions. In general what I read made sense to me because I was treated for anemia when I was.aix years old and has many food intolerances. The diet I adopted is basically the same one I had growing up to deal with food issues. However, what worked for me might not work for you or anyone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom