• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you try to hack your ASD/ADHD?

Do you try to improve your negative symptoms through hacks?

• Yes

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
To answer your question: wow, do I ever!

Diet - low carb, lots of protein and fat, trying for ketogenic: this does wonders for me with energy, immune system, and mood

Supplements: concentrating on pregnenolone, which supplies my missing hormones (endometriosis since puberty, now complicated by menopause) and keeps me stocked with neurotransmitters (I think we burn through these at a higher rate, simply by having more neurons AND being constantly stressed) along with therapeutic niacin for anxiety, which does wonders for me

Sleep hygiene: going to bed early with a sleep mask and weighted lap blanket, getting lots of natural light through the day as I can

Looking for the signs of over-input and getting to a low-input space right away also helps a lot.

Im going to try ketogenic again I think. I wanted to go vegetarian , but it's not working for me health wise.

I tried to order pregnenalone, but couldn't find a website that would ship it to Australia.

I take DHEA for adrenal fatigue, and I think pregnenalone might fix that as it's an upstream donor of stress hormones.

I have my doctor looking into it.

I love the way @Full Steam emphasized how we have to hack our way through this jungle with the angle that we have to learn what works for us on an individual basis.

For instance, I can’t eat vegan or even vegetarian, because my body doesn’t make the enzymes that lets me get enough protein that way. I wind up fat and sick and exhausted.

My husband doesn’t do well with fat of any kind, while I could practically live on it!

Others seem to do well with exercise regimens, but these wear me out and I have gone to a mini trampoline and long walks.

Keep track of your body feedback. Learn to listen to what it is saying.

Do you know what enzymes you are lacking?

I've dropped protein and meat a lot, and I think it's affected my energy also.

Confused here. Who is the other kay or am I having a serious memory issue?????
O, I see that it's not me that said that but it's what I have been trying! There is a name for it? Hmm.... didn't realize that. Well I will read some more about it then. It did go ok yesterday until my cold got in the way and I ran out of zip.

Wow, this hacking is new to me. In fact, it feels like I'm way out of my depth with the extent that you all seem to know yourselves so well. I've spent years just plodding along, not fitting in and trying to get by as best as I can.

Being new to this forum following recent diagnosis, I really, really, really need to overhaul my diet as by the sound of things this should help me with brain fog/fuzzy head/rubbish sleep quality.

So, could you advise if I need to start a new thread about diet and the positive impact this will have on the above issues?

I've been hacking for decades, but it's been in the dark for most of that time. I only found the light switch about 2 years ago, when I discovered the methylation cycle and started B12 and foliate.

I found asd 18 months ago, and got diagnosed a year ago.

One you start it can easily become a new special interest.

Suddenly its all I want to talk about! That and autism.

O, I see that it's not me that said that but it's what I have been trying! There is a name for it? Hmm.... didn't realize that. Well I will read some more about it then. It did go ok yesterday until my cold got in the way and I ran out of zip.

The link I posted broke the quote box!

I had to remove the quote to get it to display right.

Read up about it, I think you'll like it..

The link I posted broke the quote box!

I had to remove the quote to get it to display right.

Read up about it, I think you'll like it..
I am already reading and noticing that there is a lovely apple timer in the accompanying photo just like the one I inherited but took to the thrift store. I guess I should keep everything. Feel silly anyway for having missed such a simple but obvious idea. ( edit!) - It's a tomato in the picture, not an apple.

Wow, this hacking is new to me. In fact, it feels like I'm way out of my depth with the extent that you all seem to know yourselves so well. I've spent years just plodding along, not fitting in and trying to get by as best as I can.

Being new to this forum following recent diagnosis, I really, really, really need to overhaul my diet as by the sound of things this should help me with brain fog/fuzzy head/rubbish sleep quality.

So, could you advise if I need to start a new thread about diet and the positive impact this will have on the above issues?

Hi. A lot of folk are having success with various health problems like cancer, obesity and diabetes, but also people who don't have serious issues, with the whole food plant based diet. If you look for some of the gurus on YouTube you cantc help but be impressed as they look so healthy. It is basically eating healthy vegan food that has not been processed. You can do it simply at first till you get used to it, but the main benefit us in giving up sugar salt and oils which dramatically changes the way we look at food which is for most people, about addictions and cravings.

The keto and paleo diets that are popular ATM, have one big drawback in that they dont have science behind them like the plant based one, for long term safety. Read the China Study.

I have been on various diets like the macrobiotic one, and prefer this one. It has revolutionised my relationship with food.

Last edited:
I guess I should keep everything. .

An asd hack if ever I heard one.

I still regret the fact my mum gave my star wars figures away when I left home.

The ideal would be a storage container where no longer needed items could be placed.

Then go and sit in it once in a while.

Working on the methylation cycle does not always help if one has a lot of deficiencies as l had. In fact you can get into big trouble. It also costs a lot and takes up a lot of time.

I feel that the best way is to provide the body with good nutrition in the natural way first through a nutrient dense diet, and keto and paleo are missing loads of phyto nutrients, and you then have a much better basis to start tweaking things.

Hi. A of of folk are having success with various health problems like cancer, obesity and diabetes, but also people who don't have serious issues, with the whole food plant based diet. If you look for some of the gurus on YouTube you cantc help but be impressed as they look so healthy. It is basically eating healthy vegan food that has not been processed. You can do it simply at first till you get used to it, but the main benefit us in giving up sugar salt and oils which dramatically changes the way we look at food which is for most people, about addictions and cravings.

The keto and paleo diets that are popular ATM, have one big drawback in that they dont have science behind them like the plant based one, for long term safety. Read the China Study.

I have been on various diets like the macrobiotic one, and prefer this one. It has revolutionised my relationship with food.

I think they have plenty of science behind them, but they don't want to talk about longevity studies, the China Study, or the Blue Zone study.

Protein definitely impacts long term health, although you can mitigate some of the damage.

The trouble with most vegans and vegetarian diets is that people keep eating junk food, and for it to be healthy you need to make it about vegetables.

I think the healthiest diet is in the middle of Paleo/primal and vegan.

Small amounts of dairy, and meat as a special occasion and as a condiment. It useful in very small doses.

Most Blue zone diets are like that, and the authors recommend eating low down the food chain.

Oysters, sardines etc are good for you and are sustainable with low mercury.

Yes l agree that the best diets are about vegetables and that animal products can be used in small amounts, though studies have shown increased longevity without them. Seeing vegan body builders gets rid of the idea that vegans must be deficient in protein. You can always add vegan protein powders if you worry about that.

Do you know what enzymes you are lacking?

I've dropped protein and meat a lot, and I think it's affected my energy also.

I was so low on production of body needs I couldn't digest much of anything, so I did a course of Betaine HCL to retrain my stomach. Works great. That might help.

When I mentioned "enzymes" I was talking about what my body produces naturally, which is genetic and described in the excellent book, Death by Food Pyramid. In my case, I do well with red meat, fish and seafood, high-fat pastured dairy, greens, and berries. Which makes sense: most of my ancestors lived in a cold climate with access to the ocean, herding animals, and a short growing season.

I'm gluten free and low fiber. I follow the advice on GutSense.org and it has all worked for me.

I was so low on production of body needs I couldn't digest much of anything, so I did a course of Betaine HCL to retrain my stomach. Works great. That might help.

When I mentioned "enzymes" I was talking about what my body produces naturally, which is genetic and described in the excellent book, Death by Food Pyramid. In my case, I do well with red meat, fish and seafood, high-fat pastured dairy, greens, and berries. Which makes sense: most of my ancestors lived in a cold climate with access to the ocean, herding animals, and a short growing season.

I'm gluten free and low fiber. I follow the advice on GutSense.org and it has all worked for me.

I did the Betaine thing also which helped a lot, also a gluten digest enzyme helps dpp-IV. If I put it in a gluten beer I get no gluten effect. I still try to stay away completely though. Corona is gluten free.

Shame it's also a bit rubbish.

I do think B12 had a place there too, but I needed hydroxycobalamin, the others were no good.

Maybe you're the same?

Were Bear did you try protein powders in smoothies?

Sure did. Dr. Jack Kruse did wonders for me, and I was doing his hormone reset, with 50 grams of protein/fat first thing in the morning. Worked great, but pea or hemp protein gave me all kinds of bad reactions, like nausea, even with the Betaine HCL. Whey protein worked much better, but started to trigger blood sugar issues. Ham and cheese omelettes worked best.

I do think B12 had a place there too, but I needed hydroxycobalamin, the others were no good.

Maybe you're the same?

I was tested for the MTHFR gene mutations. Don’t have any, but NT husband does, so I am familiar.

Also doing some 24 hour fasts, re Dr Fung of diabetes treatment fame, for regenerative purposes.

Sure did. Dr. Jack Kruse did wonders for me, and I was doing his hormone reset, with 50 grams of protein/fat first thing in the morning. Worked great, but pea or hemp protein gave me all kinds of bad reactions, like nausea, even with the Betaine HCL. Whey protein worked much better, but started to trigger blood sugar issues. Ham and cheese omelettes worked best.

I was tested for the MTHFR gene mutations. Don’t have any, but NT husband does, so I am familiar.

Also doing some 24 hour fasts, re Dr Fung of diabetes treatment fame, for regenerative purposes.
Im not MTHFR either, but I am COMT and mtr, which means I need supplemental B12, but don't handle methyl groups well.

Did you get a full gene test done, or just mthfr?

New Threads

Top Bottom