• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you try to hack your ASD/ADHD?

Do you try to improve your negative symptoms through hacks?

• Yes

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
I could not take methylB12 so use hydroxycb. Zero gluten for me too and recently no dairy - that is a big one as I am addicted. I only use distilled water. Thyroid Hashimotos. I did well on a grain free diet although I had only been eating whole grains previously. Now I am back on grains but will have to cut them right back.

I was concerned to find there are no long term studies on high fat though some on kids with seizures. What I read led me to think that high fat is not good. My fats come from seeds and nuts, avocados.

I had to download my raw data again, on MTHFRSupport this time. Some of these did not come up on my original source.

MTHFR A*372C G GT +/-
rs1801131 MTHFR A1298C G GT +/-
rs17367504 MTHFR A1572G G AA -/-
rs3737964 MTHFR A4117C T CT +/-
rs13306561 MTHFR A4598G A AA +/+
rs13306560 MTHFR C-137T T CC -/-
rs17037390 MTHFR C10318T G GG +/+
rs4846048 MTHFR C24909T G AG +/-
rs1801133 MTHFR C677T A AG +/-
rs17037396 MTHFR C841T T CC -/-
rs12121543 MTHFR G16490T A AC +/-
rs2274976 MTHFR G1793A (R594Q) T CC -/-
rs1476413 MTHFR G18861A T CT +/-
CBS A360A A AA +/+
rs706209 CBS C*351T A AA +/+

Are they all your methylation cycle snp's?

Loads of MTHFR, but all good apart from Cbs.

I'll try to upload mine.

I go sugar and white carb free. This has been the greatest thing I ever did for myself and it helps my mental health, as well as energy levels, and weight loss. I also weaned myself off of seroquel, and Paxil anti depressants over several months.

I eat mostly vegetarian, without trying. I juice everyday using a Nutribullet and make savory vegetable rich “smoothies” as well as tasty sugar free delicious healthy sweet breakfast smoothies.” Diet is everything and those micro nutrients are so important. I shop at Asian and international grocery stores, so the produce is inexpensive, and choices are wide ranging. I also try to remember to take a high quality multi vitamin, melatonin, and a quality Multiple B supplement. Walking in nature and getting sunshine are also key for my anxieties and mental health as well as having my darling two cats, now one years old. Pets are oh so soothing!

Yes they are all the MTHFR. I am shocked at how many snps are on the Alzheimers gene :( Here are some more of the most known about:

MAOA A36902G G GG +/+
PAH A33429G C CC +/+
PAH C35625G G GG +/+
PAH C5594T A AA +/+
PAH G*187A T TT +/+
PAH T17864C G GG +/+
MTRR -11 A664A A AA +/+
MTRR C32295T T TT +/+
MTRR C524T T TT +/+
MTRR T*662A A AA +/+
DAO G8864A G GG +/+
DAO T887G T TT +/+
DAO T9891G T TT +/+
VDR C48293037A A AA +/+
VDR C65594A G GG +/+
VDR G48262964A G GG +/+
VDR G48287203A A AA +/+
VDR G48293716T G GG +/+
VDR G48293716T G GG +/+
VDR TAQ A AA +/+

Last edited:
"Walking in nature and getting sunshine are also key for my anxieties and mental health"

Mary Anne, sunshine is very important to me too. I sit in the mid day sun for vitamin D and ground with barefeet for about 20 mins. Which multis are you taking?

3 pills daily: High quality multi-vitamin for women over the age of 50; magnesium; and a B-multiple.

I like Vitamin Shoppe here in the US. But whatever is on sale at Target, Walgreens, etc is ok too. I do not go by price alone...not the cheapest.

Today I am trying the kitchen timer, a list, and tea breaks as a system to get more done. So far so good but don't know if it will be sustainable or it's just a once-in-while solution. Still looking for solutions to anxiety problems. Prozac was somewhat helpful but I recently have grown anxious about that and am looking for alternatives. CBT only does so much for it, my anxiety gets sneaky.

My hack isn't about vitamins. It is about meltdowns.

I noticed a long time ago that my meltdowns are rarely productive. If you have ever read a Hulk comic, he always seems to [smash] the bad guy* and save the good guy/girl in his anger. My outbursts seldom seem so selective.

Now, when I feel a knee-jerk reaction pushing me to the edge, I double-check the situation before I commit to the point-of-no-return. Often (in review), I will see the situation differently and realize that I overreacted. Other times, I will confirm my take on the matter, but (in my hesitation) adopt a more objective/tempered response.

I am not always successful in this tactic, but it helps when it works. ;)

*and not a few buildings...

I haven't really tried any "hacking", the idea of being an Aspie (self diagnosed so far) is a relatively new thing for me... And I have always kept myself relatively busy anyway with life... Some of you have probably known about your diagnosis for much longer, I'm still trying to figure it all out...

I like Vitamin Shoppe here in the US. But whatever is on sale at Target, Walgreens, etc is ok too. I do not go by price alone...not the cheapest.

Mary Anne, there are ingredients, that are not good for us. One example is folic acid which is the artificial form of folate vitamin b5. They put it in a lot in food in the US and because the body cannot deal with it for people with certain genetic defects, the ones that are common in asd, it builds in the system and can cause quite serious problems.

It is always best when wanting to use a multi, though taking single nutrients is best, to chose one that has been produced from natural sources and always by a reputable company, which sadly most are not. Of course this will cost more, but it is our health at stake. Some good multis can be recommended on raw foodist sites or sites that are for longevity.

To answer your question: wow, do I ever!

Diet - low carb, lots of protein and fat, trying for ketogenic: this does wonders for me with energy, immune system, and mood

Supplements: concentrating on pregnenolone, which supplies my missing hormones (endometriosis since puberty, now complicated by menopause) and keeps me stocked with neurotransmitters (I think we burn through these at a higher rate, simply by having more neurons AND being constantly stressed) along with therapeutic niacin for anxiety, which does wonders for me

Sleep hygiene: going to bed early with a sleep mask and weighted lap blanket, getting lots of natural light through the day as I can

Looking for the signs of over-input and getting to a low-input space right away also helps a lot.

I used to “hack” my awkwardness with drugs and alcohol. I’ve stopped doing this for health reasons, and because I found that my mood is more stable and better overall if I’m sober for an extended period of time.

I love the way @Full Steam emphasized how we have to hack our way through this jungle with the angle that we have to learn what works for us on an individual basis.

For instance, I can’t eat vegan or even vegetarian, because my body doesn’t make the enzymes that lets me get enough protein that way. I wind up fat and sick and exhausted.

My husband doesn’t do well with fat of any kind, while I could practically live on it!

Others seem to do well with exercise regimens, but these wear me out and I have gone to a mini trampoline and long walks.

Keep track of your body feedback. Learn to listen to what it is saying.

For me, learning to hack my ASD is the only useful application of a diagnosis. If it was going to be, "So you have this thing, and you're never going to get any better" - then why even tell me?

I used to wonder why everyone around me can stay up until 2am playing WoW or binge-watching shows, then come in, have a coffee, and get to work, but if I lose an hour of sleep, I'm almost non-functional. I thought I was just being lazy or whiny. Now, knowing that it's part of my ASD, I make more effort to go to bed early. That also means prioritizing other tasks in my day/evening so I can go to bed early. It's making a big difference.

My other hacks are mostly behavioral - changing my internal dialog, using lists or writing things down to break big tasks into smaller ones, focusing on clearer communication with others (since I apparently don't send/receive other social cues), etc.

For instance, I can’t eat vegan or even vegetarian, because my body doesn’t make the enzymes that lets me get enough protein that way. I wind up fat and sick and exhausted.

Hey WereBear, I thought the same for a long time but find out now that the problems was that I was not eating enough nuts and seeds or taking B12.

I take meds for my ADHD. I try to do activities that meet my sensory needs.

Beyond that, I try to hack my life and my environment, because those things are much easier to modify than the fundamental workings of my brain.

Wow, this hacking is new to me. In fact, it feels like I'm way out of my depth with the extent that you all seem to know yourselves so well. I've spent years just plodding along, not fitting in and trying to get by as best as I can.

Being new to this forum following recent diagnosis, I really, really, really need to overhaul my diet as by the sound of things this should help me with brain fog/fuzzy head/rubbish sleep quality.

So, could you advise if I need to start a new thread about diet and the positive impact this will have on the above issues?

New Threads

Top Bottom