• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think there is a higher meaning behind your being autistic?

I do not believe in an almighty god, which means I do not believe in a divine plan. I think monotheistic religions are wrong in their very foundation, because they model their one god around being human and then reverse them. Placing humans at the top of an illusionary hierarchy that is at odds with nature. It is thinking, and faith, like this, that has tried to, and sadly somehow succeeded with, destroying polytheistic and pluralistic societies and religions through the last couple of thousands of years. Without this attempt to place this invented "final authority" outside of ourselves, we can move freely as spiritual, physical and human beings.

So if I was to add some answer to the question, based on this, I would say yes, there is some higher meaning to everything in nature, because nature is infinitely wise, infinitely imaginative. Therefore I can only find out what this "higher", I would prefer to say real, meaning, or at least part of it, is, if I surrender to nature. The nature of being me and all of nature surrounding me. And the answers that come out of that are very nuanced, very experiental, often wordless, very sensual and sexual and it often leaves me in awe of being alive, as being nature. A feeling of being cyclical. A feeling of being at home. And, lately, of being in love.

The higher meaning behind me being autistic?

My higher understanding is this:

Life is a genetic lottery, based on a series of chance that took place long before I was able to take any affective action.

Understanding this, I was forced to realize that there are also other chance events (such as social status, economic status, skin color, religious background, birth country, etc. on and on forever).

Realizing this, it became clear that there ain't nobody special, just some people more lucky than others.

This was a deeply meaningful discovery. And spiritual, in a really materialistic way.

Do you assign a higher meaning behind your autism?

No. It is what it is, and I am what I am. If there is any further 'meaning', then only G^D Himself can tell me what it is.

Do you think your autism influence your religious beliefs, or lack thereof?

No. My religious beliefs developed over time, and continue to evolve, due to personal study and outside influence.

A higher meaning? Yes, I have had thoughts on that subject.

I believe in the one soul, true self, with incarnations for various experiences.
We may have had a different dimensional incarnation before this current dimension
where existence and how we experience sentiency is totally different to Earth.
That could certainly explain why I've never understood a lot of the ways of humans and their instinctual desires.
Some souls may have had multiple incarnations here, while others have had
multiple interdimensional lives.

Autism has not influenced my religion in the least. No one or nothing has.
I was raised in a Christian family belief system, but formed my own philosophies
and beliefs for myself from non-religious knowledge and life experiences.

I believe that the Lord knit me together in my mother’s womb. If I am beautiful, homely, brilliant, challenged, NT or ND, it’s because God made me that way. I also believe that God, like Jason Bourne, doesn’t do random; he does what he does for a reason.

So I have to ask, ‘a higher meaning than what?’ His purposes in making me autistic are like many things he does; beyond my understanding. So, if ‘higher meaning’ means not random and with a purpose, I’m certain of it.

My autism, I like to think, does not affect my religious beliefs, which, I like to think, are determined by the Bible. I go to great lengths to ensure that, though no doubt there is some leakage.

My autism has, however, had a dramatic effect on how I practice my faith. For instance, I don’t see anything in the Bible about going to church and participating strictly as an observer; in fact, I see specific instruction to the contrary. Whether for others it is a matter of ignorance or faith or discipline or obedience, I can’t live my religion as a spectator sport, no matter how much the pastor wants everyone to sit down and listen to them, because that model is specifically countermanded by Scripture. I suspect that my autism lends energy to this leaning of mine, and it has worked to the benefit of many. So again, I see a higher purpose in my life of acute social distress.

I do have a theory that God uses autistic people in a specific way. It is like He created them (Us) different for a specific reason known unto Himself.
I was wondering if autistic people hear from God better than allistic people? But I am not quite sure? Any thoughts?

I do have a theory that God uses autistic people in a specific way. It is like He created them (Us) different for a specific reason known unto Himself.
I was wondering if autistic people hear from God better than allistic people? But I am not quite sure? Any thoughts?
I have read a few things over the years like Autistic children have a special connection with God. William Stillman has a couple of books on that subject. I seem to have come away with this idea that Autistic people can make good intercessors for the Holy Spirit falling on them, some are very sensitive already.
These two studies suggest that Autistic people can experience some unique sensory experiences and are more likely to than their peers.

Me myself, I am very sensitive, I score moderate (Level 2) on that in Autism for hypersensitivity. I am a Christian and have one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit that involves me using my senses. What I cannot answer is if this works in the same way in someone who is not autistic and has the same gift. Perhaps things could be a bit enhanced for me. I've not properly answered that question for myself. But it is like light has been brought to it for me. The Autism is being used but how different this is all is quite difficult to say. I may have other gifts as well, that seem to have unfolded through my life but I don't really use them in church anymore, so try and make sense of it now. Although, put worship music on that I really feel and I can feel the Holy Spirit quite easily and can become quite trance like at times. I spoke about this with a rector at my current church and she at least told me that was the Holy Spirit, so that was useful to know. I have also had other experiences, Knowing this and seeing some footage on Youtube makes me think that some Autistic are good candidates for Spirit filled work.

My experiences with my faith are in my signature.

Last edited:
I have read a few things over the years like Autistic children have a special connection with God. William Stillman has a couple of books on that subject. I seem to have come away with this idea that Autistic people can make good intercessors for the Holy Spirit falling on them, some are very sensitive already.
These two studies suggest that Autistic people can experience some unique sensory experiences and are more likely to than their peers.

Me myself, I am very sensitive, I score moderate (Level 2) on that in Autism for hypersensitivity. I am a Christian and have one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit that involves me using my senses. What I cannot answer is if this works in the same way in someone who is not autistic and has the same gift. Perhaps things could be a bit enhanced for me. I've not properly answered that question for myself. But it is like light has been brought to it for me. The Autism is being used but how different this is all is quite difficult to say. I may have other gifts as well, that seem to have unfolded through my life but I don't really use them in church anymore, so try and make sense of it now. Although, put worship music on that I really feel and I can feel the Holy Spirit quite easily and can become quite trance like at times. I spoke about this with a rector at my current church and she at least told me that was the Holy Spirit, so that was useful to know. I have also had other experiences, Knowing this and seeing some footage on Youtube makes me think that some Autistic are good candidates for Spirit filled work.

If I may try to answer some of that from the Bible…

Every Christian has the indwelling Holy Spirit and has been given at least one spiritual gift. I read that we’re given all we need to exercise our gift(s); therefore, autistic or not, every Christian is specially and fully equipped to operate in their gifting.

As to whether any gift operates in one person the same way it does in another, it’s possible. But Paul went to great lengths to relate the variability of the overall scheme of gifts operating concurrently in the church; different gifts operating in different people in different ways and to different effects. Plus, he makes clear that there is always the potential to receive additional gifts, which I suspect will likely modify the operation of the original gift(s).

To your overall question…
I have an ongoing discussion about this with myself. I don’t think of myself as any more special to the Lord than any other child, but it has always seemed to me that I hear more clearly than most others. Often, the meaning or importance of something is very clearly before me, while others see nothing. (This has about the same feel as when an IQ disparity becomes apparent, but over the years I became convinced that, about church business, it was a matter of revelation and not comprehension; just as the things of the Spirit in general are not visible to those to whom they haven’t been revealed.) So it seemed to fall to me to relate these things to others. From that perspective, it makes sense that God will have some among his children who are more sensitive than others. And, there again, some extra sensitive to the written word, some more sensitive in the moment…

Read what you wrote in the link. You are rare.
Not many Christians know much about the spiritual side. You are one of the few who do.

If I may try to answer some of that from the Bible…

Every Christian has the indwelling Holy Spirit and has been given at least one spiritual gift. I read that we’re given all we need to exercise our gift(s); therefore, autistic or not, every Christian is specially and fully equipped to operate in their gifting.

As to whether any gift operates in one person the same way it does in another, it’s possible. But Paul went to great lengths to relate the variability of the overall scheme of gifts operating concurrently in the church; different gifts operating in different people in different ways and to different effects. Plus, he makes clear that there is always the potential to receive additional gifts, which I suspect will likely modify the operation of the original gift(s).

To your overall question…
I have an ongoing discussion about this with myself. I don’t think of myself as any more special to the Lord than any other child, but it has always seemed to me that I hear more clearly than most others. Often, the meaning or importance of something is very clearly before me, while others see nothing. (This has about the same feel as when an IQ disparity becomes apparent, but over the years I became convinced that, about church business, it was a matter of revelation and not comprehension; just as the things of the Spirit in general are not visible to those to whom they haven’t been revealed.) So it seemed to fall to me to relate these things to others. From that perspective, it makes sense that God will have some among his children who are more sensitive than others. And, there again, some extra sensitive to the written word, some more sensitive in the moment…
Thank you, I was just reading over Paul's work a few days ago. He was very passionate for sure. I can understand your experiences, thank you for posting.

My understanding of the universe is that from fundamental axioms required for existence stems comparison (something is not nothing) and from these comparisons flow all natural numbers and calculation, and a need for properties without which the calculations cannot balance, and from these calculations and properties flow the complexity of existence. I understand the universe as tractable, but that any singular calculation is only performed when witnessing requires it to be so. We create reality by witnessing the results of calculation, certainty taming the froth of probability as we interact. Our numbers do not exist until counted, futures do not become reality until witnessed. Falling trees in a forest remain an uncalculated calculation. I understand that if the universe is tractable through a Turing machine, then our universe is that machine, and the entirety of existence is one giant Diophantine equation which is processed as the terms interact and touch. Like cracks across a pain of glass the calculation spreads, until all is calculated.

In that scheme, autism is of no relevance.

It's the luck of the draw. If you have an autistic mother or father or both, there you are. If l was religious, then that doctrine dictates that we are all chosen, no exclusivity except on the basis is that your god is the only god to be worshipped. However, l do believe our struggle is real, and therefore, l am impressed with how many interesting souls are at this site.

I sometimes wonder about that. I think, if i did not have the social difficulties and the hard life experiences that come with autism, i would be a lot more vain person devoid of empathy for others' suffering.

I think that i have above average intelligence, and my experiences in life differ a lot from other people. I think that if i was a person with a high intelligence who also had high social intelligence, my life would somehow be empty. I would not have a good character, i would be a vain and thoughtless person.

So i believe me being autistic, and the suffering and hardships that come with it actually made me more empathetic, and have a good conscience. A person has to have both shortcomings and good sides, because no one is perfect.

I don't consider myself a religious person, the main religion where i live is Islam but i don't know much about it. But from what i researched, my experience and thoughts align with Islam's take on disabled people.

Just my scattered thoughts anyway.

For anyone interested in this topic, do you assign a higher meaning behind your autism?

Or, do you think your autism influence your religious beliefs, or lack thereof?
I think it's just a matter of luck really. Bad luck, to be honest. I have both autism and schizoaffective, so it's a double burden.

Nonetheless, there's no point wallowing in self-pity. We can all learn from our experiences and these differences from the norm can give a different or interesting perspective perhaps.

Look at the example of Greta Thunberg. Her autism seems to have made her very single minded and unwilling to accept the world as it is. She has made a big impact for a single person.

So while I don't see any higher meaning in having a condition like autism I do think it can have upsides. And I agree that one of those is, like you say, making you deeper, less superficial. Eckhart Tolle talks about that in relation to suffering - it drives you deeper, he says. And autism can definitely bring suffering.

New Threads

Top Bottom