• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think like me?

Jasonvl

Hi,
I am newly diagnosed after many years of wondering if I'm nuts or everyone else on the planet. Love to here from you :)

upload_2018-9-26_8-6-5.png

Welcome! Could you give an example of the way you think? That way it’s easier for me to know what to respond to ;) It’s too broad of a subject for me to respond to, if you know what I mean.

Do you ever feel like others just don't have a clue of what you are talking about even though its obvious to you? Sometimes I can explain something 2 or 3 different ways and they still don't get it.
I have gone back to study and am studying Medical Science. I find a lot of the academics have a real narrow way of thinking, like they are restricted in thinking in other ways. I find it so hard to except that some of the Profs and students agree and accept with 100% certainty that they are correct. Idea's and dogma is proven wrong often, which frustrates me when they make 'absolute' claims. Then disregard any obvious or other view points.
Also, when I have a discussion with them they think I am creating an argument, but I'm trying to help them see what I see.
Does this make sense?

Welcome! Could you give an example of the way you think? That way it’s easier for me to know what to respond to ;) It’s too broad of a subject for me to respond to, if you know what I mean.
Do you ever feel like others just don't have a clue of what you are talking about even though its obvious to you? Sometimes I can explain something 2 or 3 different ways and they still don't get it.
I have gone back to study and am studying Medical Science. I find a lot of the academics have a real narrow way of thinking, like they are restricted in thinking in other ways. I find it so hard to except that some of the Profs and students agree and accept with 100% certainty that they are correct. Idea's and dogma is proven wrong often, which frustrates me when they make 'absolute' claims. Then disregard any obvious or other view points.
Also, when I have a discussion with them they think I am creating an argument, but I'm trying to help them see what I see.
Does this make sense?

Does this make sense?
It makes sense 100% to me. I had so many discussions with my fellow students in med school and none of them seemed to understand my point of view no matter how often I tried to explain it. I often get in arguments with my boyfriend because we occasionally seem to speak completely different languages. Regularly we end up discovering that we actually meant the same, but couldn’t bring the point across to each other. It makes me feel very alien and strange when things like these happen.

It makes sense 100% to me. I had so many discussions with my fellow students in med school and none of them seemed to understand my point of view no matter how often I tried to explain it. I often get in arguments with my boyfriend because we occasionally seem to speak completely different languages. Regularly we end up discovering that we actually meant the same, but couldn’t bring the point across to each other. It makes me feel very alien and strange when things like these happen.
Wow. Yep thats me. Sometimes when I talk with my father and try to explain how I feel or more why I am frustrated he reacts very badly. Like I have offended him and I actually don't understand why he is now angry.
At times I don't feel like answering my phone or calling friends back and you can imagine after a while I don't have friends anymore. I can understand how that would piss people off. I think it would be like them saying I will meet you at 1:30pm and when the clock ticked 1:30pm I would start to get a little annoyed and each minute the time passed the more I though how much of a prick they were. A little hypocritical, but hey I can do that. Is that an Aspie thing; "My way or the Highway", or is that just me?

Hi,
I am newly diagnosed after many years of wondering if I'm nuts or everyone else on the planet. Love to here from you :)
Hi Jason! Welcome! You will find some understanding and supportive folks here. Congratulations on getting the answers that you sought. Each person has their relative strengths and weaknesses. I struggle with executive functioning as I have difficulty in meal preparation, planning, cleaning, and organization. I hate food shopping as well. They say one of the classic signs of being on the spectrum is being able to do extremely complex things yet struggling with some simple everyday activities. I've taught myself to be a Unix System Administrator yet I struggle to core and cut a tomato. It's just one of a few of life's disconnects for me; it is what it is. I was able to get by in better financial times because I could afford to have meals prepared for me and hire a housekeeper. In poverty, the struggle is very real, and at times, depressing.

Hi Jason! Welcome! You will find some understanding and supportive folks here. Congratulations on getting the answers that you sought. Each person has their relative strengths and weaknesses. I struggle with executive functioning as I have difficulty in meal preparation, planning, cleaning, and organization. I hate food shopping as well. They say one of the classic signs of being on the spectrum is being able to do extremely complex things yet struggling with some simple everyday activities. I've taught myself to be a Unix System Administrator yet I struggle to core and cut a tomato. It's just one of a few of life's disconnects for me; it is what it is. I was able to get by in better financial times because I could afford to have meals prepared for me and hire a housekeeper. In poverty, the struggle is very real, and at times, depressing.
Hey Matty,
Organising myself is hard, as I can be hyper focused on one thing for hours/days and neglect every thing else. Learning and trying to understand people and problems is my life/obsession and is usually the topic of my one way discussions. For me life is about questions and answers and people think I am pretty nutty for thinking like that. Sometime I get so exhausted, mentally, that I don't even want to start something as I will be so obsessed. It's like I have a for and against argument going on in my head that is constantly questioning, questioning and questioning. I enjoy it don't get me wrong, but heck it costs as well. Like if I do an assignment, I read everything about it, try to learn everything in detail and in the end I think whats the point to write the assignment if I can't find a real answer to the proposed problem. My obsession is what I can do, but I need others to help organise me and keep me on track. A question like: "Explain the pathology of small pox", I would need to know everything from the history to how the vaccine was created and if it is possible to even irradiate the virus. This could take weeks, then were do you start to put this into 1000 words. I guess you could say I struggle with limits and I go overboard all the time. So some positives and some negatives, but over all I wouldn't change a thing about me.

I think it would be like them saying I will meet you at 1:30pm and when the clock ticked 1:30pm I would start to get a little annoyed and each minute the time passed the more I though how much of a prick they were.
I’m usually very tranquil, but I can go ballistic over people being late without letting me know.

I don’t think tomatoes are cored are they? Apples are cored, but tomatoes are just washed and then sliced or chopped.
And now I just HAVE to look up smallpox...

If you want deer in the headlights, read Hegel and try to explain even one sentence to someone who asks........Umm, yeah.

But it's ok because I realize that everyone has their own thoughts. Everyone has REALLY complicated thoughts, not just Aspies.

They say one of the classic signs of being on the spectrum is being able to do extremely complex things yet struggling with some simple everyday activities.

Some things make more sense than other things.

Like I'm busy and rushed getting dressed in the morning, and I can't find socks that match each other and my outfit because I've been too tired from stress to do the laundry. YET I know if I wear such in public, I will be treated like someone who should be be taken away in restraints.

If I had the LUXURY of enough money to buy lots of clothes that aren't on sale, or even afford a place with a washer and dryer, this wouldn't be happening, which puts another angry edge on the situation.

Last edited:
Does this make sense?
It's strange you should talk about this, I was thinking ,how was thalidomide Rigorously tested in the 1960s ,when you hear a doctor say we wont to support this because it hasn't been rigorously tested or tetracycline .

Hi Jason.
Quite a bit of what you describe resonates with me as I'm sure it will with many others. I think you've come to the right place :)

New Threads

Top Bottom