• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think it is ever right to get attacked on your appearance?

If you look very dead and don't identify as a vegan, yes.

night.gif

;)

I hated growing up and constantly being told to smile. For what friggen reason? Nobody told boys, oh you need to smile. That irritated me at a younger age. I practiced body positivity with my daughter. She wore exactly what she wanted to. There were no remarks on weight, her looks, etc. And l believed this worked.

Exhibits of Khoi people in museums and displays of monkey bums at zoo are extreme cases of abuse. I've never had issue with women and just tended to believe we battle with beauty standards...my stepmom was just exception, never helped with housework, car always full nice snack she couldn't share
I always felt I tried to help others, didn't cash in on greed Rally's but in the end we have new poster children for so called goodness.

My ex tipped his ash on my eye, it burnt has left a yellow patch, he was hurting my kids and trying to take custody...
When you fight back it's hostile

I hated growing up and constantly being told to smile. For what friggen reason? Nobody told boys, oh you need to smile. That irritated me at a younger age. I practiced body positivity with my daughter. She wore exactly what she wanted to. There were no remarks on weight, her looks, etc. And l believed this worked.
Boy's are instead told to not cry and toughen up. BE A MAN. Neither is a good example of how either a girl or boy should behave. Girls should be allowed to show when they are not happy. And boys should not be thought to only suffer in silence.
My children are allowed to show all emotions and as far as I`m aware I never force them to act in a way that is opposite of how they feel. They are allowed to show who they are. Within the boundaries of the situation.

Boy's are instead told to not cry and toughen up. BE A MAN. Neither is a good example of how either a girl or boy should behave. Girls should be allowed to show when they are not happy. And boys should not be thought to only suffer in silence.
My children are allowed to show all emotions and as far as I`m aware I never force them to act in a way that is opposite of how they feel. They are allowed to show who they are. Within the boundaries of the situation.
Things are backwards in this age, women are competitive and superficial and not tender-hearted and compassionate and men do not show women any compassion, grace or respect. It is both sexes fault. Femininity is a good thing but it is wrong when it becomes like woman are supposed to display the same amount of strength as a man and are the same as men. Sure both sexes are equal but each has a role to play.

This is pretty spot on to what I would say. I worry enough about not looking good as is, along with worrying about society standards. People attacking my appearance would probably just make me break down. I wish there were more kindness towards everyone's different bodies.
I am the same, it hurts as a woman to be attacked on it and jealousy hurts too.
And I really do believe being thin and attractive does not mean u are secure and confident.
And sometimes it is what people do not say either, never telling women they look nice, beautiful or pretty. The opposite of live can often be indifference.
Misconceptions can also hurt from women when they may a snap judgment on someone's appearance or life.
It is hard being a sensitive soul.

I’m gonna be honest, I always felt like nobody understood why I feel not pretty compared to other women. I used to get bullied severely in middle school for being considered ‘fat’ to my peers and it caused me to get deep rooted insecurities I still have to this day. I’ve always felt like the ugly/nerdy girl because I never had anyone ask me out or even have a crush on me. I know that appearances aren’t considered ‘everything’ but if someone isn’t pretty or conventionally attractive they can get judged just for something as simple as that

Sorry just wanted to vent that
Yes I'm so sorry, women can be horrible about appearance and it goes both ways where they can get jealous of a beautiful woman or make misconceptions that it is easy being beautiful or you have a great life because of it or wish they looked like that person or not say they are beautiful because they are secretly a bit jealous or think they will be bigheaded because they 'already know'. Or it is just not the right thing to compliment a beautiful woman but then they do not compliment not conventionally beautiful people either and it is nice to get a compliment from another woman sometimes if you go to quite a bit of effort to look good no matter what u look like.
Not many women actually tell other women they look good in this day and age.
And if you wore a nice outfit and got dressed up you should be told u are beautiful as well because u are beautiful just the way u are.
And that is what people can hopefully learn to believe that they are beautiful just the way they are but I know some people do struggle with insecurities but society makes it worse for women.

For the most part, physical aesthetics are more a cultural and personal phenomenon. What makes a person physically attractive or ugly, really is in eye of the beholder. I guess I am taking that from the hundreds, perhaps thousands of women I have worked with over these many years, listening to their conversations, seeing photos of their spouses, Facebook, Instagram, etc. There is quite a bit of diversity in what a woman perceives as physically attractive. The same could be said about men. I find myself taking a second look at other women who look similar to my wife. Why?

Then, there are the results of body modification, for example, tattoos, piercings, implants, plastic surgeries, etc. Every now and then, I just look at some of these people and think, "What were they thinking?" "Why would you go out of your way and pay someone to make you less attractive?"

Physical aesthetics, especially surrounding the topic of obesity, socially and culturally, appears a bit "schizophrenic" to me. One person encouraging an overweight person to express her/himself and show off their body in a bathing suit, that somehow they are "brave and beautiful". The next person is just plain nasty with their negative comments. The next person criticizing the cultural "acceptance" of what appears to be an unhealthy body. I try to stay out of the conversation, but it is interesting to step back and observe.

So, is it right to attack someone on the way they look? Context and perspective. If it's something you were born with and can't help, it is what it is, then NO. Then there are situations were, sometimes, a person's appearance simply isn't appropriate for the environment. I wouldn't be the one bold enough to attack someone in those situations, but there's a lot of people now-a-days that act out their emotions and will.
Yes a lot has to do with personal opinion as well, people do have different opinions but definitely people go crazy on appearance and I do believe in beauty is in the eye of the beholder too. Some people find different body shapes as well as different things beautiful. Some men love curves on a woman or a bigger body shape while some men just love thin and slender and/or athletic women.

I kinda like those onsies that look like animals. Like a all over body mask. On my bad days, l could just leave the house as a furry skunk and fart alot. Nobody could really say anything. Because skunks can fart and just be pesky and problematic which is where l head to on my bad days.

I am the same, it hurts as a woman to be attacked on it and jealousy hurts too.
And I really do believe being thin and attractive does not mean u are secure and confident.
And sometimes it is what people do not say either, never telling women they look nice, beautiful or pretty. The opposite of live can often be indifference.
Misconceptions can also hurt from women when they may a snap judgment on someone's appearance or life.
It is hard being a sensitive soul.
In nudist circles, "All bodies are good bodies" is almost burned into the psyche.

OTOH, complimenting anyone on their appearance is considered bad etiquette unless you already have a close relationship with them. If they've done something really exceptional, like extravagant tattoos or flaming red-orange-yellow hair, it's okay to compliment the hair or the tattoo but not go beyond that. A casual acquaintance complimenting another person for their looks (or vice versa) is considered super creepy. It sounds like a pickup line and female nudists are there to escape that.

Unfortunately, nudism is not 100% creep free. But we try.

In nudist circles, "All bodies are good bodies" is almost burned into the psyche.

OTOH, complimenting anyone on their appearance is considered bad etiquette unless you already have a close relationship with them. If they've done something really exceptional, like extravagant tattoos or flaming red-orange-yellow hair, it's okay to compliment the hair or the tattoo but not go beyond that. A casual acquaintance complimenting another person for their looks (or vice versa) is considered super creepy. It sounds like a pickup line and female nudists are there to escape that.

Unfortunately, nudism is not 100% creep free. But we try.
Temple Grandin won't give public speech without lights blocking public and is awareness for people to understand autistic people may be beyond shy.
Nudist camp for some of us is beyond comprehensible, for me I never changed in school bathrooms because nudity was just so personal, even if same sex.
Many many years ago, I loved a Guy but he was asexual. So he spent his life dealing with his issues and my destiny became to survive sexism in workplace, and defend myself as an autistic women.
To this day many men don't understand me, and I've become hardened, even a movie like dirty dancing assumes women are stupid and it's ok to show this and that a man comes along and (he steals others abilities and then blindly teaches her) sadly men think it's their job to defend even a broken women but I have no space for these insults in my life.
Autism is a spectrum, so not everyone identified as asexual and I'm accepting of others however I'm tired of having people try tell me about my happiness.
The guy I loved, his best words on my first boyfriend was you slut!! It hurt, he still may never understand how hard I fought and how many times I went hungry and without but I paid for my private bed, I protected my temple and was insulted by men's advances many times.

Temple Grandin won't give public speech without lights blocking public and is awareness for people to understand autistic people may be beyond shy.
Nudist camp for some of us is beyond comprehensible, for me I never changed in school bathrooms because nudity was just so personal, even if same sex.
Many many years ago, I loved a Guy but he was asexual. So he spent his life dealing with his issues and my destiny became to survive sexism in workplace, and defend myself as an autistic women.
To this day many men don't understand me, and I've become hardened, even a movie like dirty dancing assumes women are stupid and it's ok to show this and that a man comes along and (he steals others abilities and then blindly teaches her) sadly men think it's their job to defend even a broken women but I have no space for these insults in my life.
Autism is a spectrum, so not everyone identified as asexual and I'm accepting of others however I'm tired of having people try tell me about my happiness.
The guy I loved, his best words on my first boyfriend was you slut!! It hurt, he still may never understand how hard I fought and how many times I went hungry and without but I paid for my private bed, I protected my temple and was insulted by men's advances many times.
I think that is cool, I am asexual 2 and used to always cover up.
I used 2 to always be respectful around men but truly it is difficult if you experience sexuality different, a lot can feel like masking.
Like it is kind of hard if you feel ashamed if you wear something a tad revealing or short and cannot be yourself without feeling like u are tempting men.
Like honestly you should not not have to feel u have to lock ur beauty away as a woman. You have to really just try to think men will not come onto you and be led astray but ur beauty and just remain faithful to their wives, it is not easy thinking u have to hide it away and be less than yourself
And I am not even the type to wear super revealing clothes.
I hope moderators do not ban this, if U do I understand but it is hard because a lot of autistic people experience sexuality different or are part of lgbtqa etc

I kinda like those onsies that look like animals. Like a all over body mask. On my bad days, l could just leave the house as a furry skunk and fart alot. Nobody could really say anything. Because skunks can fart and just be pesky and problematic which is where l head to on my bad days.
Cool, I like onesies that look like animals too.

Please do not make the mistake the things you are experiencing are only experiences of women. Or people with a female body.
Females look just as much at males as they do the other way around.
When I was younger and had a verly good body, equal to that of men on men's health magazines I experiences the same. Mind you. I did not care the same way you do. But whenever I would wear something a little tight or without a shirt. Or pants that really showed my behind. I could really feel the eyes staring. And they would approach me a lot more than before I had that body. It never worked because they did not expect to deal with an autistic guy, but I was constantly approached.
I understand that men and women might experience the situations differently. But I would often also just wear loose clothing to prevent unwanted interaction.
Too often people think it is a onesided interaction. But I assure you from personal experience. It is not.

Please do not make the mistake the things you are experiencing are only experiences of women. Or people with a female body.
Females look just as much at males as they do the other way around.
When I was younger and had a verly good body, equal to that of men on men's health magazines I experiences the same. Mind you. I did not care the same way you do. But whenever I would wear something a little tight or without a shirt. Or pants that really showed my behind. I could really feel the eyes staring. And they would approach me a lot more than before I had that body. It never worked because they did not expect to deal with an autistic guy, but I was constantly approached.
I understand that men and women might experience the situations differently. But I would often also just wear loose clothing to prevent unwanted interaction.
Too often people think it is a onesided interaction. But I assure you from personal experience. It is not.
Yes that is from a whole other perceptive.
I feel the same way as woman autistic that I am not just a sex symbol and hate being perceived as one or getting excessive attention on my appearance by males or even females. I just like to be occasionally told I'm beautiful or look nice or even pretty perhaps. I hate excessive attention and admiration.
It is true this is a very large problem often in society where women or men think they can just essentially sexually harrass someone who is attractive. So wrong.
People need to realise those people may not enjoy it and are humans too.
And that is one of the down sides to being a very good looking person.

The answer is regardless of how you look it is not right. Beautiful and aesthetically attractive people have insecurities and can be just as insecure as a person society deems as ugly.
Beautiful people get put down too sometimes even more because of jealousy and misconceptions
It is just prejudice and plain wrong.
Especially with an autistic who may have visual sensitivity and sensory issues and struggle with body sense and body image and there is no shame in that
You have enough people to put you down in life without having to struggle with prejudice over the way you look.
And a woman and her body shape is important to her so it is downright rude and nasty for anyone to receive that.
And also it is plain wrong for women to be jealous of other women. The reality is each woman has her own struggles and that kind of behaviour needs changing in a person even if it is just in their hearts, they need a heart check.
Envy can really hurt a woman severely and I feel sorry so many women have to endure that in society.
I absolutely agree with your statement. Why would anyone want to be ostracized based on their appearance? I find it disrespectful and offensive.

New Threads

Top Bottom