• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think in pictures?

Do you think in pictures or words?

• I think in Words!

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • I think in Pictures!

Votes: 142 70.3%
  • I have no idea what you mean! (This means you should post a reply to the thread)

Votes: 23 11.4%

• Total voters
The most notable 'picture' I have in my head happens when I am listening
to another person talk. I hear-see a color. It's not about the tone of their
voice. It isn't like listening to music.

If I hear-see the color when a person is talking, the color is the
emotional state of that person.

It doesn't happen every time I hear a voice. Not every person is in the
midst of an emotional state. The color-reception happens with written
material, too. I am not describing colored letters.

Some of the colors I don't understand. It can take me months to
figure out. Next time I encounter the same color, though, I can
recognize the situation.

My parents didn't want me to talk about things this way.
I think it scared them. They said I was only trying to get
attention.

Other people have been more receptive. People who
consider themselves my friends sometimes ask whether
they are a color.

Guilty as charged. Especially the part about thinking/assuming that everyone did.

When I was a website designer for a software entertainment company I used to quickly get visions of a metaphorical website interface indicative of a particular game as the producers would explain to me what the new product was all about. And realizing how much trouble it always was for them to understand my concepts only verbally. Where inevitably in exasperation someone would usually say, "Well, make a comp of your idea and get back to us".

You know, this continues to be a particularly profound thing to me. Realizing that most people don't have my thought process or sensitivities. That I'm practically an "alien life-form" compared to most of the carbon units wandering all around me! :eek:

@Judge

Try hear-seeing and talking about that, and see
how far it gets you, as far as a membership in
the "We all do that" club.

You lost me. Are you being sarcastic? Could you explain?

I responded to the original version of your post, before you added the
part about 'sarcasm.' Just saw that. No, I am not being sarcastic.
I was referring to you mentioning feeling unique (aka alien life-form)

See Post #101.

Incidentally, I am not describing "seeing auras" either.

TLDR =
I register the emotional state of a person speaking to me as a color, in my head.
I have yet for another person to say "Hey yeah. That. Sure, I do that."
I assume there are other people who do.

See Post #101.

Incidentally, I am not describing "seeing auras" either.

TLDR =
I register the emotional state of a person speaking to me as a color, in my head.

Mentally when I get an idea that pops into my head I actually can see it great detail. Though perhaps when I attempt to verbalize what I see, something gets lost in translation.

Are you conveying that this process is as "foreign" to NTs as is your seeing peoples' emotional states as a color?

Mentally when I get an idea that pops into my head I actually can see it great detail. Though perhaps when I attempt to verbalize what I see, something gets lost in translation.

Are you conveying that this process is as "foreign" to NTs as is your seeing peoples' emotional states as a color?

Exactly so.

I generally don't mention it at all.

People manage to believe that other people can hold images in their minds.
Or make movies.
Or at least snapshots.

The best I can do is refer them to the fact that dogs can smell cancer or
oncoming seizures. If they can acknowledge that, then it is not such a
stretch to realize that people may be encountering other people in ways
that differ slightly from their own.

All of my thinking is sensory-based: pictures, objects, sounds, smells, colors, tactile...yes, I can rotate objects in my mind, manipulate images, create video sequences, visualize characters, remember faces and more. Yes, I'm now aware that not everyone thinks like this either. I'm not going to make any claims or assumptions about how others think, NT or otherwise. They're free to add their input here if they wish.

I also don't have an intuitive grasp of language (or social language at least, verbal or non-verbal); had noticeable delays as an infant which led to my initial diagnosis. Somehow, I had to learn it as a means of communication and for translation of my thoughts. I think I'm doing a better job of it now than I did then.

All of my thinking is sensory-based: pictures, objects, sounds, smells, colors, tactile...

This is definitely more how my thinking and memory work.. sensory things. I don't see images in my mind at all, and when I think of words I don't visualize them, I just think them...like a voice in my head. And as for memory, I remember most things by touch, smell and sound. Like I may not remember how someone looks (if you ask me to visualize someone...even someone I've known for a long time, I can't visualize them in my mind), but I'll remember the way they smelled or the sound of their voice for the rest of my life.

So, are you saying that you see movies in your mind, or what?

Snapshot scenes?

Or was this just a joke? I can't tell.

Okay - to explain.

I have photographic memory and so in that form, I see pictures, for example, my knowledge of music charts, someone can name a song and I can say almost always the correct year, label, chart position (UK) and sometimes even the producer.

What I am seeing may be a chart list that I have seen online, say at retrocharts, or it may even be something from Record Mirror thirty years ago, either way my memory can recall it.

In the same way I can recite pretty much word for word any episode of Fawlty Towers or any song by The Smiths.

A geeky and useful talent sure but won't hold me down a job or make me millions.

That picture I posted I created and can be an example. It is part of a radio sketch show I listened to at around 3am. When I woke up hours later, I had remembered those lines and found some nice notepaper online, used Photoscape to copy and paste the words and font, hey presto. To my annoyance, I can see that I spell three t's in otter one time, well, we will all produce typo's.

Hope this answers your question.

i think in pure imagery,and it takes my brain a while to convert it to words,i think this is partly why i was non verbal for so long [28 years],i was also severely language impaired until around 10,so i lived in a world of just noise and no language until then.
i struggle even more to convert words to imagery which helps me make more sense of what im processing.

This is interesting. Everyone's opinions as well as the way they view things.

For me, I mostly see in pictures. It was a lot more clear when I was younger. Kind of like photographic memory I think. I could visually walk through a store I had been in and anything I looked at I could zoom in on. I would read a chapter for something in school and look back in my mind and reread the answer to the questions at the end. I still can do this mostly, but sometimes it's not as clear or easily recognizable since I've went through some major depression for too many years. I'm getting back to 'myself' more now and so it's easier.

If you say something like what was written above 'ketchup bottle' my mind would immediately conjure up as many ketchup bottles I have seen personally at home, other's houses, the store, on commercials and such as well as the word/s. I see books as movies and can picture it all in my head so when a movie gets made off of a book I've read I like to see how my mind stacks up to what they chose as the characters, settings and such.

Now, when I was in eighth grade, my teacher jokingly said a long word for an extra point on the test. I didn't know what it was, what it meant, had never heard it before so instead of seeing it as a picture or meaning I saw it as letters as I sounded it out and coincidentally only missed it by one letter. It was antidisestablishmentarianism.

I have a pretty good memory and can still remember things from as early as three years old. Maybe it was certain things that stood out to me, I'm not sure. It's almost like hitting the replay button on my life and all of the sudden I'm like literally back in that moment re-experiencing all of the sights, sounds, feelings and all once again.

I haven't been diagnosed. My mom just thought I was 'difficult and weird' growing up. My son has. So, I wouldn't say my point of view is a non typical one, but I can't for sure say that it's asd either.

rainfall

>> this is an interesting topic! yup - I too think visually; not necessarily in actual pictures, though - or fixed images or imagined metaphors. I find this an interesting insight, that some of you - I read about it in posts a few pages back - use exact visual metaphors or thought-contense defined imagery; such as mighty king from ancient greece for justice. cool idea!

> personally, I am strong visual thinker in more abstract terms. I do think straighforward visulizations, images, pictures [of course, all that I remember from my visually], metaphors as well.

>> yet the real thing I'd call visual thinking for myself personally, is a sort large infinite space or room without boundary in my mind.

> it is pitch black dark and there is nothing in it; it is nothingness itsself so to say. this endless space has an imagined centre and this centre is somehow located more or less in the centre of my head; or centre of my self. in a way, right behind my forehead.

> here, out of the nothingness, I let all kinds of imaginations play as theatre-play / drama, film, acting, real-life-simulation..etc. also, here I have a strong synaesthetic connection - for example, so that sounds become colors and colors become words [and sound again]; or that feeling and sense of my body is depicted as all sorts of meaningless or meaningful shapes, lights, light-flashes / as movement of shapes / sometimes as definde imagery of flowing things. while communication between me and others, and the feelings that come with it, may present itsself as visually depicted forces / beams / streams of light or fluid matter - working logical weights, and moving levers and mechanical gearwheels in this or that direction; depeding on the information that is communicated and / or thought / felt / imagined etc.

> also, I like to think with information as such [which isn't anything actually, that can be imagined]. yet, I imagine information as clouds of hundreds of billions of tiny glittering particles, infinitely small but still there, moving through complex system making things become other things, moving, influencing, changing things. I imagine virtual information to be my thought, a mental form of information; it is virtual since it has not yet become something real. then, when I perceive that my thought / my sensory-input / my actions actually affect something real, I like to think that my virtual thought-force as turned real - making reality [flowing / expressing interior to exterior]; while reality becomes virtual thought-force in the other direction [flowin
g / impressing exterior to interior]

again a way of imagining a sort of force that holds an instruction of effect; and by this I can easily think through difficult informational interaction, large informational systems like the internet and interhuman interaction as interaction of informational clouds organized as informational system... it is kinda powerful, I think =) it does magic sometimes.. =P

>> as for visual thinking in a generalized view: I've read that thinking with visuals of any kind is rather common in general - but then, this seems obvious since we remember what we see with our eyes: and that's visual. however, I think imagining a simple image or picture isn't what's meant by visual thinking... I mean anybody can imagine an image, for sure. I guess what makes it real visual thinking is the way / if at all / how one works with the thought-imagery - whatever it may be. by my understanding the thouht-imagery is then the main and central concept of solving problems of any kind in the mind.

>> I guess, thinking with all kinds of sensory inputs and their mental reimagination must be rather common as such [sounds, visual eye-sight images, sense of touch and taste, especially smell [which somehow evokes powerful memories with me], with words written or said aloud in thought, feelings/emotions, movement... then, I also think it is again the way, the efficiency and power of thought that makes a specific concept. more so, I guess that combining these different styles of sensory-input / memory-output / reimagination / fantasy in a unique and useful way - a way which everyone can individually train / choose / design to one's personal needs and thinking-abilities / styles - can produce an unique thinking-concept... I'm trying to do this, that's why I'm mentioning this here: it really has a lot of potential to improve well-being and one's thinking-power if one gets to know one's personal and natural configuration of mind, which can then be carved, optimized, focues etc. in a specific personalized structure. plus; it's a lot of fun to explore your own thinking by experiment, trial and error, empirical observation etc. [at least it is a lot of fun for me, especially because of the quite apparent improvement I've made over some months] ! =)

Last edited:
When one of my neighbors speaks to me, her voice reminds me of a leather book cover thats worn and cracked. So i always think of books when talking to this lady... ! Never understood why i do this, or why the lady is a worn leather book cover..! The mind is truly fascinating. ...!

I usually do think only in images.

Having a very good memory myself, I can remember the smallest details from my past, and sometimes I believe I can see the future.

New Threads

Top Bottom