• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk to animals?

For pet owners: Do you talk to your pet?

• Total voters

Sparticus

Jewish man kissing a Catholic woman....
Lately when no human is looking, I talk to squirrels [I make a squirrel noise and often they stop to look at me] and birds. Have been experimenting with bird sounds and gotten a few down. Besides it's fun to "talk" to a Mocking bird! They answer your call! I've been known to talk to dogs and cats...and several people have called me an Animal Whisperer.

What about you? Moderators I hope I put this in the right section. I have an obsession with nature and some of the critters. Love to watch a school of fish in a pond...and reflect on them plus life.

Today learned the sound Doves make. But need to practice it; there's lots of doves in my area. Sometimes when I call out to a bird who is close to me in a tree, about to dee dee [fly away] he/she stops, looks at me...and stays for awhile. They might climb up some branches getting ready to sky [fly] but many stop...hiding behind the tree trunk and sometimes with head bent to an angle, they eye me...

Makes me feel connected to the Universe! Mitakuye Oyasin

I talk to all kinds of animals I encounter, but I don't mimic their sounds. Instead I talk to them in a friendly, soothing kind of way intended to show I'm no threat, and comment on what they're doing, what they may be thinking of me, what I think of them, etc. More than once people have thought I'm absolutely nuts for doing it, especially when it's a lizard or something small like that.

I've always mimicked animals, particularly cats and dogs. When I was a kid I would even bark just for fun, to the point that I'd fool others into thinking there was an actual dog around. I like to copy cats even now.
I talk to all kinds of animals I encounter, but I don't mimic their sounds. Instead I talk to them in a friendly, soothing kind of way intended to show I'm no threat, and comment on what they're doing, what they may be thinking of me, what I think of them, etc. More than once people have thought I'm absolutely nuts for doing it, especially when it's a lizard or something small like that.
I do this too. I also have a habit of "narrating" animals, kind of like captioning what they're doing or how they seem to be reacting to a situation or a person, in the way I think they might say it. It's weird, I guess I watched too many talking animal movies growing up. :p I could never get a good read on what people seem to think of that kind of thing though I don't notice too many others doing it. I do it so automatically that sometimes I get embarrassed.

I love talking to animals and yes I do it a lot. Many a deep discussion I've had with Ros and she's been there for me through thick and thin. Of course, she never answers but I can read her eyes like a book so I reply anyway.

My family have often got caught out when I "meow" to our cat; thinking it's an intruder cat. I can do a pretty convincing bark too and love seeing our dogs' reactions. To sum it up, I'm rather feral :)

I often talk to my cat as if she was simply another human being. She's one of the few creatures out there that actually listens to what I have to say, not sure about the comprehension problem though. :)

They talk to me, so it's rude not to talk back....

I live by a canal and feed a bunch of ducks, and we've got to know each other very well. I do quack at them, and there is definitely a duckie vocabulary they use. I've no problem doing this - its more than just sounds, its body language and eye contact too! I have always communicated with animals better (far better!) than humans. Dogs and cats (Im more of a dog person), horses, cows (I love talking to cows!), the list goes on!

Funny how I can look a duck in the eye and quack, yet people are a mystery to me! :)

They talk to me, so it's rude not to talk back....

I live by a canal and feed a bunch of ducks, and we've got to know each other very well. I do quack at them, and there is definitely a duckie vocabulary they use. I've no problem doing this - its more than just sounds, its body language and eye contact too! I have always communicated with animals better (far better!) than humans. Dogs and cats (Im more of a dog person), horses, cows (I love talking to cows!), the list goes on!

Funny how I can look a duck in the eye and quack, yet people are a mystery to me! :)

The last girl I dated did that. We both liked taking our kids to feed ducks. First time I thought it was funny, she just started quacking like crazy. But it worked, they came over. So later on my daughter and I were following these ducks up and down the town shoreline, at different docks and parks trying to feed them and they just kept swimming away. Finally after 2 hours and darkness approaching we thought of her and started quacking and sure enough they came right over.

I talk to animals as much as I talk to humans probably, maybe more. I talk to most as if they can comprehend english often trying to reassure them. A few I try to copy and talk in their language, emu took a while to master. With my young border collie pup I've taken to saying what I think he would say. Everyone has always thought I'm weird & I've been in many arguments over there term people. When I say people I am talking about humans and not humans. I always said I have a human family & the Important Family which consists of my children most of them are pythons. Speaking of snakes I have always talked to snakes and they're deaf, no ears.

I talk to my horse, and I have always talked to animals I ussally like them better than people because they made more sense to me. They tend to be friendly as , ong as you are they wont stab you in the back and their love is unconditional.

I talk to my dog as if we're carrying on conversation. When it comes to wild animals, though, most of them I have nothing nice to say, as the ones I encounter most frequently are pests--deer who eat our flowers, squirrels who eat all the birdseed; it's usually a volley of curses for them. :p

I talk to the insects a lot, though. Those conversations tend to be a lot more existential.

For some reason, I feel like I have this special connection with most animals. I just feel more animal-like than human-like. I meow at all cats, talk to squirrels and rabbits (I won't like sit there and have a conversation, but I'll try to get their attention and make friends). When I go to the zoo, I pretty much go nuts with talking to the animals. For some reason I just think that they can understand me, which I know in reality they can't. Once, when I was at the zoo, I made this really deep connection with an orangutan. He and I were just sitting there staring at each other with only the glass to seperate us. We looked into each other's eyes and I just felt like we understood each other. He began like kissing the glass and putting his hands up as I told him that I was going to leave, which was extremely difficult.

So yeah, I probably sound extremely crazy right now, but hey, oh well :)

Lately when no human is looking, I talk to squirrels [I make a squirrel noise and often they stop to look at me] and birds. Have been experimenting with bird sounds and gotten a few down. Besides it's fun to "talk" to a Mocking bird! They answer your call! I've been known to talk to dogs and cats...and several people have called me an Animal Whisperer.

What about you? Moderators I hope I put this in the right section. I have an obsession with nature and some of the critters. Love to watch a school of fish in a pond...and reflect on them plus life.
Yes. I seem to have a connection with them that even I don't understand. Birds land on me. Peoples shy cats come and rub all over me. Dogs always want to come by me and even chipmunks watch me and run over my feet. I do not go out of my way for animals. We have a mutual respect for each other. I don't bother them and for the most part, they don't bother me either. Many people comment about this, and my kids were always amazed.

Yes. I seem to have a connection with them that even I don't understand.

But the animals themselves understand. Quite often I think we as a species totally underestimate them. In some circumstances animals just "seem to know". I like that.

Last edited:
I also tend to talk to animals, dogs, cats, ducks, seagulls, birds, horses, squirrels, mice! (at work) anything. I love my mice and take as good care of them as I can. I try to hold back and not bark at the neighbours annoying little dog that barks at you whenever you are outside. They might thing I am nuts! Which of course I am, but that should be no matter to them. They also tend to like me as I remain calm and respect them and their space. I once had a bee land on me, explore the area and then fly off elsewhere. Unlike most people I did not jump and try to hit it. I just let it do it's thing.

Today I saw a large male squirrel who ran over a fence into a tree; when I called out to him [squirrel noises] he stopped between 2 tree trunks and stayed there as I talked to him. I felt so elated...later on I talked to a few Starlings [birds.]

Sometimes I say mean things to my dog, but in a happy voice so that she wags her tail.

Ha I did that when I had a cat too. He would rub on me and meow and be all happy because he thought I was praising him.

New Threads

Top Bottom