• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk like an Aspie?

Bay, I also throw around $50 words like that. I do not see what the problem is because that word is precisely what I need at that moment. I have an alternate persona that comes out I call 'the professor'. I use words that are precise, and, employ logic and reasoning when I am arguing with someone. I know it can seem 'uppity', but, that's what happens. When I argue and am hyper I usually disdain emotion and can seem very cold. Cannot STAND sloppiness in argumentation.

I feel that my speech is also a little 'dramatic' when I'm in public. This is because my voice is naturally flat, but I became aware of the need for 'animated' speech during story time at infant school. I'd sit and study her speech patterns, pitch, inflection etc...
I hated shool productions, I was often given the parts requiring the majority of the dialogue...e.g (lead role)
I was good at recalling the script, primarily because I loved the written word. One year in particular a boy in my class was given the part of Aladdin. However he was unable to attend the 2nd rehearsal, and the teacher asked me to step in. Afterward she suddenly decided to recast Ian elsewhere in the production ...giving me his part. I silently seethed because I wanted to be Princess Jazmine.
I wasn't very popular with my peers during school productions. Little did they know I wasn't having fun at all.

Hmmm. Not quite sure what "talk like an Aspie" really means. Constant use of "one-way verbosity"? Monotone voice? Both?

Verbally I'm very different compared to how I communicate online. I'm not comfortable speaking with people I don't know so I'm far more apt to say very little...and gradually open up as my comfort level grows- if at all. But yes, I tend to speak in a monotone voice...get occasionally accused of "mumbling". Worse if my accent floats in and out.

"Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?" :p

I can bore the crap out of people by saying too much online. In person, just not saying enough. Ouch.

I am a teacher. I now own my own home based preschool, but back in my student teaching in public schools days, all of my observation reports would say that I sounded bored, tired or otherwise unenthused. One teacher even said, "you should hear yourself, you sound either full of Valium or half dead" and that was after I really tried to pep myself up. I am pretty good with acting out stories/read alouds, though.

I tend to use larger words and be less animated with adults than when I am speaking to children. People who speak over the top irritate me. They grate on my nerves and hurt my ears. Calm down.

Last edited:
Unless I'm talking with someone I know well and am comfortable with, I tend to be very monotone. I've been told quite a few times that I always sound stoned when I talk.

Different Aspies have various ways of talking, I think. I tend to do a lot of gesticulating, and verbally I stumble a lot, repeating some words before I find the suitable one to say next. I used to be very quiet, but I've noticed that lately I tend to lean towards the loud side, depending on what emotions I am feeling at the time.

I suppose I can be either too loud or too mumbling. It doesn't seem like there is much of an in between. I have seen others say they talk different than how they type. I think even neurotypicals can relate with that, but I understand what you mean, because I am the same. I use words that seem to surprise people. I blame that on the fact that I don't stereotypically "look" as smart as I actually am, to be completely blunt. I don't do it on purpose, but even my boyfriend was off-put when I used the word "cavalier" in reference to my attitude about something I really wasn't interested in, for example.
As far as the stare is concerned, I have been told I can look mad or very deep in thought. Or look completely brainless at times.

I have always either been accused of mumbling, or of talking to loudly. Frequently as a child and teen I was told to keep my voice down. I also recall that I struggled in speech and drama lessons with putting the stress on the correct syllables. I sound fairly monotone to me when speaking, especially if it is on a subject I am well studied in, where I will sort of drone on a bit, as if giving a lecture. I struggle to express emotion in my voice, as much as in my facial expressions.

I have difficulty with the correct volume of voice. Usually I talk softly, but once in a while too loud. Especially when saying something that someone in a nearby room shouldn't hear lol. I have the loudest whispers around!
I also, from what others have told me, have always had my own "accent", sounding as if I'm from some other place.
Strangely enough though, I am in a group that meets to read a book out loud. When I'm the one reading it out loud, apparently I'm really good at it, better than the others.

i currently work doing surveys over the phone and over and over again people ask me, "Are you human or a machine?" which drives me out of my mind.

Given my sense of humour I'd likely answer " I prefer the term Artificial Intelligence. I'm a sentient software application with a wide database of information and am programmed in multiple techniques. "
Perhaps then talk about my cat Spot. :D:p

My voice is unusual (at times). It can go off key, sound overly nasal, childlike (teenage-like), sound mushy and unclear. Other times my accent gets stronger and sometimes (very rarely) my voice can just go flat. I have no idea if ASD influences this or not or it's the result of some type of anxiety. I seem to be able to speak more normally when I'm the most comfortable.

I'll try to do a recording? What would you like me to say??

Different Aspies have various ways of talking, I think. I tend to do a lot of gesticulating, and verbally I stumble a lot, repeating some words before I find the suitable one to say next. I used to be very quiet, but I've noticed that lately I tend to lean towards the loud side, depending on what emotions I am feeling at the time.

This made me smile. One of my friends had remarked that when I speak, I make "air origami." One time someone grabbed my hand and I couldn't talk; I felt as if I'd been slapped.

As far as the stare is concerned, I have been told I can look mad or very deep in thought. Or look completely brainless at times.

I definitely have a "1000-yard stare." I've learned to say, semi-automatically, "still thinking" so that people don't think I've checked out entirely.

I have difficulty with the correct volume of voice. Usually I talk softly, but once in a while too loud. Especially when saying something that someone in a nearby room shouldn't hear lol. I have the loudest whispers around!
...Strangely enough though, I am in a group that meets to read a book out loud. When I'm the one reading it out loud, apparently I'm really good at it, better than the others.

I've been told that our hearing actually sharpens to pick up things trying to avoid being heard. Evolutionary thing--what doesn't want to be heard is trying to get you, or trying to get away from you.

I too read in public, and that is a very spiritual thing for me. Sometimes I am aware of something else reading with me. In the context, this is very useful to the audience members that are similarly sensitive.

My voice used to be very monotone, but I have taken on a more sing-song quality. I still get accused of "using big words" on occasion and am told to dumb down my vocabulary. Funny enough, I don't even realize I'm being excessively verbose in these instances.

Like some others here I have been told that I have an accent. More specifically, other people from my region would ask me where I came from, despite my having lived in the same city my whole life. They would always site the way I spoke as evidence for my foreignness.

I also have a stutter (once chronic) which emerges periodically.

I guess so, I speak well and have a pretty extensive vocabulary.

What I find is that if I like a word, I cannot help but build it in the conversation and my husband is often saying: Where did that word come from?

Sadly though, in an argument I am dreadful. Can't get my words out; go bright red and stutter and spit, which makes me even more angry.

My spelling is not great and so often, have to think of another word to replace it.

I am told by my husband, I can come across and cold and condescending, which surprises me.

I do not have a monotone voice and am very expressive.

I have a “child-like” voice that is a common trait of autistic women.

My husband says I sound like "Queen Mab" from this Merlin short series.

I sound like an Aspie, I suppose. My voice tone does not change much (It does at times). Also, I have been asked multiple times if I am from England. I say "No, I am from Ohio." and I ask the person why they think I am from England; They say because of my "accent". I was not aware I had an accent such as that of an Englishman but I take it as a compliment because I adore all things British.

OK

In the book "Look Me In The Eye" by John Elder Robison it discusses Aspie speech. (Page 285). He did his own audio for the audio book version and his editor said he sounded or had the same speech patterns as Temple Grandin.

In the other thread we discussed the Aspie "Stare". But do you have the Aspie speech? Feel free to post links to sound clips. I have sort of a flat monotone voice myself. What have others said about your speech?

Bill

Last edited:
I sound like and Aspie, I suppose. My voice tone does not change much (It does at times). Also, I have been asked multiple times if I am from England. I say "No, I am from Ohio." and I ask the person why they think I am from England; They say because of my "accent". I was not aware I had an accent such as that of an Englishman but I take it as a compliment because I adore all things British.

Well I am from Australia and I people ask me if I am from New Zealand ( now I understand being flattered having an English accent but who in their right mind would want the NZ accent!) anyway it is because I must have a bit of a funny accent - the phyc who assessed me asked if people comment on my speech

Last edited by a moderator:

New Threads

Top Bottom