• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk like an Aspie?

Well,

Back in the 80's the economy was much better or at least prior to the 80's. Prior to 81 I worked as a teen janitor. Great money and night work. Companies like Honeywell, Borg Warner, Federal Building. I also worked many years downtown where West State dead ends and the street becomes a mall. It was a drug store called Osco's. My grandmother lived a few blocks away in what was called Luther High Rise looking at the river. I graduated but did not attend my HS in 1981.

My grandmother lived prior to that on School Street. OK, now here is where it gets dicy so please no one take offense. The church we attended was Saint Patricks which had a school and convent but it is closed today. The whole west side turned black. It was very unsafe and went down hill fast. It turned into a slum. I remember the transition well but I did not understand it growing up. I took trips every other week to get my haircut with my Dad at a barber shop downtown that was across from the Metro Center. Back then it was not there. I saw the beautiful two story houses where my grandmother lived change to having garbage on the large front porches. I was not allowed to walk anymore to the parks and play.

We have good friends in Loves Park and I recall that was nice as was the new mall called Machesney? (Excuse spelling).

As I recall industry was bad, lots of factories shut down and it was hard to find work as a blue collar worker. My parents moved to Florida after spending time out west in Arizona. They just wanted a place that was warm. My father worked his whole life at the post office after WWII. My mother stayed home so I guess you could call our family much like Leave it to Beaver?

After I graduated in 1981 I spent 2 years at Rock Valley College. Then on to Lewis University in Romeoville near Chicago. I came home some but not much. So after I graduate in 1986 from Lewis I went on to Grad School and really never came back to Rockford. I went to Seminary to study to be a Catholic Priest. Spent three years in Seminary one in Baltimore and one in Indiana. I studied for the Atlanta Archdiocese which is how I landed here. I did not finish but I really enjoyed the study of philosophy. Went to work in accounting.

Please don't hesitate to ask more questions. BTW, houses and cost of living is real cheap here. A few years ago I checked and that tiny three bedroom ranch home had property taxes of $4,000. I have a 2,400 square foot two story house and pay half that here. Much cheaper to live here but I still miss the snow.

B

@kg4fxg

Thanks for the information, it's kinda sad what's happened to the town...but well... and, maybe we should move down south? :) And my son goes to school at St Patrick's, there's a charter school now.

I though I would send a few pictures (I took them in 2008 but still) :)

View attachment 2468

View attachment 2469

View attachment 2470

ok, I should have reduce the size 1st, they're pretty bit, but well.... :)

Thanks for the pictures, I still miss Rockford and it will always be home. I have adapted pretty well here. Does your son show any issues on the Spectrum? I recall seeing a Dr. Carol Dubois when I was there in Middle School. But I did not like all the meds. The pictures are really gorgeous. I remember the bike path along the river. I used to ride all the time.
B

Thanks for the pictures, I still miss Rockford and it will always be home. I have adapted pretty well here. Does your son show any issues on the Spectrum? I recall seeing a Dr. Carol Dubois when I was there in Middle School. But I did not like all the meds. The pictures are really gorgeous. I remember the bike path along the river. I used to ride all the time.
B

I have 2 kids, my younger son has been diagnosed with ASD, he's in special Ed class in preschool (basically Autism class), my older son hasn't been diagnosed during last assessment but is getting another one now... kinda long story, he's definitely got issues but luckily his teacher's just had experience with another kid with Asperger's so she usually knows what to do. It's not too bad actually, and I hope I would never have to give them any kinds of meds, unless they're proven to improve cognitive functions. You know, despite of all the issues in Rockford, this place has support for people with disabilities, some places don't have that. The only problem - not enough doctors and therapists. I think this thread slowly becoming a Rockford related thread :D I think if I have more questions or you have questions we should PM instead :)

Hope you don't mind my steering the conversation back to speaking like an Aspie, although I love to talk about the Midwest myself having lived some relatively happy years in Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I think that I am on the monotonous-sounding side ordinarily, but not noticeably so. However when I am upset or very anxious I become more monotonous. Worse, I become very hyperlexic and, without meaning to, start throwing around the $50 words and speaking in a very stiff and formal manner. It can work to my advantage when in a dispute because it sounds as though I know what I am talking about. But when in an argument with someone I care about it can work against me because it can be intimidating, I'm told. I would rather settle an argument than win it.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind my steering the conversation back to speaking like an Aspie, although I love to talk about the Midwest myself having lived some relatively happy years in Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

I think that I am on the monotonous-sounding side ordinarily, but not noticeably so.

Madison is nice, we've never lived there but been a few times (just recently actually)... not sure if I would want to live there but it seems like.... should I say... a very pleasant place :)
We've been to Milwaukee as well, I liked Madison more, but the lake front is pretty cool.

It seems that lots of folks on the spectrum (if not everyone :) ) have monotone voice and the thing is, I've never considered my voice as monotone but I have been told so many times that it's the case. If I wanted to make it... I don't know...more melodious or something (not sure if it's the right word to use in this case) ... I wouldn't even know what to do... and it would probably sound ridiculously unnatural.

If I wanted to make it... I don't know...more melodious or something (not sure if it's the right word to use in this case) ... I wouldn't even know what to do... and it would probably sound ridiculously unnatural.[/QUOTE said:
I have tried to make my voice sound more melodic (yah, I don't know what the correct word would be either) but inside my head it sounds childlike and a bit clownish so I dropped it.

I have no idea if I do, here are some videos (sorry about the quality) from when my little girl was a toddler (she was about 2 in the first and 3 in the second. )

I have no idea if I do, here are some videos (sorry about the quality) from when my little girl was a toddler (she was about 2 in the first and 3 in the second. )

It's hard to say just by watching the videos, you don't talk that much there :)
Nice videos btw. The way your daughter behaves reminds of my older son a little.

I'm wondering if our voices are so monotone maybe we could be good at hypnotizing people :)

It's hard to say just by watching the videos, you don't talk that much there :)
Nice videos btw. The way your daughter behaves reminds of my older son a little.

I'm wondering if our voices are so monotone maybe we could be good at hypnotizing people :)

Here's another where I'm talking a bit more, and getting pinched with some tongs(making me do a silly half laugh);

I hated that cooker within a few days, she would push the hob button over and over again, she loved the sound, but hated the kettle, she never played with that at all because of the noise.

Oh and this one was one of her favourite games;

and a more recent one, the rest of our vids are on tapes waiting to be uploaded;

She is a cutie.
Thank you :)

Does anybody else get a zen like tingle when listening to other Aspies speak? I know it sounds weird, but I've literally spent hours, over the past few days, just spacing off into the ramblings of my people. Interesting and in-depth topic points may, or may not, have something to do with it or maybe it just makes me feel less alone.

and as for the Thread topic- My first girlfriend ever used to constantly give me guff by the spoonful, because my voice never held any emotion in it when saying things like "I love you" which sent me thru a loop trying to do.

otherwise, I've been told I have a decent singing voice as long as I stay away from high-notes.

Can anybody else sing?

I believe that I have trained myself/been trained to have inflection in my voice. 7 years of talking to people over the phone for a career did it.
Last year I changed my major at school. Before I did, I had a class that was all about children's literature. We had to read aloud to other's in the class as well as the children in the child development center on campus. The teacher said to listen especially to me because the inflection in my voice made it sound like I was really telling it and could keep the children's interest. I was pleased that I could offer an example for those brave enough to want to be teachers, but I didn't want to be.
It was all due to 6 weeks of training in which the trainer constantly told us to an-nun-see-yate :p and to read those scripts as if we were speaking instead of reading. I wonder if that's like voice acting?
My son still has little inflection in his tone when he is speaking. Unless he is upset.

Last edited:
I've been told that I have the Aspie speech and stare. I didn't believe it until I watched a video of myself. =p

I don't know if I have this or not. I do tend to have a very childlike sound to my voice. Soft spoken though. I don't really know about the sound though as I think I sound normal so...hum I guess its a maybe for me.

I have the childlike look and the Aspie stare, but my voice sounds fairly deep enough that no one would notice. :(

I seem to have some emotion in my voice and a good cadance but often it has a slight bored or tired sound to it and a little on the soft side (I'm often told not to mumble), I recently heard a recording of my voice and to me I seem to have a slight English lilt to it (if such a thing is possible) or in other words I seem (to me) like someone from England who as nearly lost their accent to a Kiwi one. Warwick C would be the best judge as I have spoken to him more than most people over the last few months.

New Threads

Top Bottom