• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you prefer Night? Darkness?

kg4fxg

I have not researched into this to know if it is me or an Aspie trait in general. Meaning, do others prefer night? Yes, it is an Aspie trait to have obsessions but there often might be no common ground here.

Night

I love the night, if I had my way I would be up at night and sleep during the day. I love it when I get out of work and it is dark like in December. I prefer to drive at night. Maybe I should wear sunglasses all the time? I even thought about putting black construction paper on all the windows at home so it is night all the time.

I love the city at night, all the skyscrapers. I love movies that have lots of night scenes, especially fog at night. Shows like millennium, mysteries, night stalker, X-files. Anything usually filmed at night.

Bright sun gives me migraines. I hate being warm, love to keep the room at 67-68 degrees.

Anyone else like this?

Bill

Yes, I'm a night person, and with me not being employed (and probably will have a hard time getting employed) I can sustain this lifestyle fine.

My creative part works best @ night. My computer is next to a window, so I open up the window at night, have fresh air come in and hear a passing car every once in 2 hours or so. The "natural" quiet works for me. During the day I'm way to occupied with drowning out sounds with loud music, which I don't have the urge to do during night. Also, bright lights (and especially the sun) give me a headache as well, so if I have to get out during the day, I wear shades. I don't care how shades look "weird" in the winter. However, shades are also a comfort thing. During the day I have headphones on and shades on. A while ago when I was at a job center I kept my shades on because of the light, but also because a sensory overload over chatting people in the background and not being able to keep my headphones in (cause I was talking to someone). There's only so much sensory stimuli I can handle I guess. However, in general I prefer to not wear shades to talk to people... unless I feel uncomfy with them (or the business I have with them)

Most people usually have winterdepression cause of the early darkness in december, but that's the times my creativy works best because at least I'm not having to deal with the overwhelming lights. The best I can handle in terms of lights is probably the an hour of dawn or dusk before darkness sets in. The low light is nice.

In general yes, I like big cities in the dark. But that might also come with people not droning around like zombies off to work, lol. In general people out in the evening have other things to care for, and that kinda puts a more "leisure" feel to it as well. I'm in general fine with going out to a club every now and then, which is pretty much the same thing. I remember when I went out as a teen and it still was kinda light-ish in the summer @ 9 or 10 pm... it always felt "weird" to me.

Also, there's a lot of things I do in the dark, because I either can or just because I feel like it.

I can relax best if I take a shower @ night with the lights out. That's one of the ways how I can relax and chill out a bit. I walk the stairs in the house in darkness, recently I don't even bother switching on lights in the living room @ night. Oh, and even my bedroom.. it doesn't have any normal lights. Just a a few neons, and they're not on a lot either.

I like everything, each time of the day has it's own purpose, energy and charm. I love night because it's quiet, not because it's dark. In my 20s I lived in a big city and I loved the lights and sounds of cars at night, it was very soothing. But I do like bright sun light as well, even though nowadays it can cause headaches sometimes. But I do enjoy sunny days with bright blue skies mostly in spring and fall though. To be honest I like different times of day just for themselves for their beauty but if I start thinking when I can function better, it would be early morning or late evening (after midnight but before about 3 am). Staying focused during the day is more challenging. The problem with nights nowadays, is tiredness. I'm more tired now than I've ever been in my life (ok maybe I was tired when I had thyroid disease as well :) but I think, it was different, not sure). Unfortunately I feel tired most of the time, I might have a few moments of "freshness" in the early morning but that's it.... I need to get my energy back :) As for the night when drowsiness wears off after midnight, sometimes I get sort of, recharged and can go on for a few hours with no issues.

And, we keep all the curtains closed most of the time (on the 1st floor) for security reasons, but if it wasn't for that I would keep all the windows open. And I also like bright fluorescent lights :)

I have not researched into this to know if it is me or an Aspie trait in general. Meaning, do others prefer night? Yes, it is an Aspie trait to have obsessions but there often might be no common ground here.

Night

I love the night, if I had my way I would be up at night and sleep during the day. I love it when I get out of work and it is dark like in December. I prefer to drive at night. Maybe I should wear sunglasses all the time? I even thought about putting black construction paper on all the windows at home so it is night all the time.

I love the city at night, all the skyscrapers. I love movies that have lots of night scenes, especially fog at night. Shows like millennium, mysteries, night stalker, X-files. Anything usually filmed at night.

Bright sun gives me migraines. I hate being warm, love to keep the room at 67-68 degrees.

Anyone else like this?

Bill

I love the night. I hide during the day.

I do not like Spring/Summer. I do not like the sun or heat. I am a Fall/Winter person. I abhor bright sunshine.

I'm as pale as a ghost and move like one in the night.

Last edited:
The thing I dislike most about the daytime is the rush and hustle of a typical workday. There is also the fact that other people are awake and active and they distract me. I also cannot stand bright lights and that includes sunlight. During the night, I can work efficiently and concentrate on whether task I am doing at the moment because it is quiet and everyone else is asleep. I'm sure that programmers and artists can identify with that...

As for seasons, I loved all four seasons when I lived in a place with a milder climate with a significant number of overcast days. I especially loved the summer days when sunset is around 9 PM. Here in New York, I like fall and spring. Winter is okay, too, but the lack of leaves is kind of depressing. Summer here is too hot and ridiculously humid.

It's so strange, I have noticed that lots of people on the spectrum love the dark and I love bright light :) For me it's like this - darkness is for sleeping, and on occasion, for staring at the moon and the stars :)

And I think most of us don't like heat, but, honestly, I've never met a person who does. I love climate in Ireland! I wouldn't mind living in that kind of climate. Yes, it's windy and rainy, but you can look at it differently - it's refreshing. Winter is very mild, spring and fall are beautiful (especially spring), and summer is nice and fresh, about 70 plus minus degrees. If talking about Midwest, for me Spring and Fall are definitely the best times of the year. Summer is Hell :)

Last edited:
darkness is for sleeping

That's why they invented those rollerblinds you can close on the outside of your windows ;)

Sometimes they don't open for weeks at my place, lol

And I think most of us don't like heat, but, honestly, I've never met a person who does.

To be honest, I think what gets me most with heat is sweating and being soaked. If the climate would be less humid over here, I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it. However, if we're talking heat... my body is kinda sensitive to heat either way, I can't take a really hot shower either, nor drink hot beverages that well. But for showering it's usually about 70 fahrenheit/20 celsius, that's really hot enough for me to not mess around with the temperature anymore.

Another thing I always considered making sense; I can dress to cold/low temperature, but I can't really dress to heat. I can take off only so much clothes.

Another thing I always considered making sense; I can dress to cold/low temperature, but I can't really dress to heat. I can take off only so much clothes.

for me it's both, sometimes it's hard to figure out what to wear in either weather, I think it's because it takes at least a few days or even weeks to adjust to certain weather, that's why I'm having troubles with climate here sometimes, too many unexpected changes. In Ireland weather seemed much more predictable.

Last edited:
Right here, I'm a total night person.

I despise mornings and I only like the day time if there is an overcast all day (no bright sun, but no rain, just clouds), it makes me feel more comfortable and if it is a school day, it makes the day go by faster.

I'm also a lot more active at night, I get my best ideas then probably because it's the only time I can really be away from people and I can think clearly!

Another night person!

We have blackout curtains on most of our windows so we can have as much or as little light as possible (in other words the curtains are never open and we have low watt bulbs).

I also can't stand extreme heat or cold, I love the months of April/May and September/October because the weather tends to be ideal, warm enough to go without a coat but cool enough so that if I want to wear a jacket I'm not going to overheat.

I also can't stand extreme heat or cold, I love the months of April/May and September/October because the weather tends to be ideal, warm enough to go without a coat but cool enough so that if I want to wear a jacket I'm not going to overheat.

That's why I like both spring and autumn pretty equal. Summer usually is way to hot, winter way to cold.

I prefer nighttime and darkness. I tend to get a hives out in the sun too long. I prefer to sleep during the day time and be up at night.

I too prefer the night and darkness. In fact, too get to sleep at all, I usually have to be in a pitch-black room with complete silence. I find that if you think about it, darkness is peaceful and soothing, with coherence and order, while light is chaotic and irritating, a barrage of different colors and sensations assaulting you all at once. I think that is why Aspies prefer the Night. It's why I do at least.

In fact, I'm on Spring Break right now and I've been staying up all night and sleeping during the day. My mom's been pissed at me about it because she says it'll make it impossible for me to get back onto a normal sleep schedule, which is completely untrue of course, but I just go along with it when she says it so that I don't upset her further.

By the way, I love the cold. I'm from Minneapolis, so obviously I like snow and winter. I can handle the cold, but any high heat environment will be too much for me. I'd literally die of heat stroke if I spent even a couple hours in 110 degree weather, but I actually wear shorts in the winter and am completely fine, in Minneapolis, I'll remind you, where the average temperature range is 20-0 degrees. Send me to Antartica and I'd be completely fine [its not actually that bad. Ernest Shackleton who crashed there and remained stuck for literally, a year and a half, survived, his crew suffering no casualties], but send me to the Sahara Desert and I'd die of Heat Stroke in minutes.

I don't mind the daytime but I definitely prefer the night. With regards. To artificial light, I hate overheads and despise fluorescents. I like to keep my house dimly lit...like a church or mausoleum. The only thing I like about the sunshine is that it is a good excuse to wear sunglasses. I find it much easier to deal with people when they can't see my eyes. I also prefer cool temperatures. Fall and winter are my favorite seasons. Summer is too hot and too bright and spring is to wet and ther is too much tree pollen.

Wow, there sure are a lot of night owls among us. I like both night and day. But I do not like winter when it gets dark at 4:30. I find it depressing and living in Minnesota the long winters can get to you.

night owl here! i've always been a night owl, even as a kid. i often get my days and nights mixed up and sleep from 7am to 7pm and i'm most creative and able to function better at night.

I much prefer the night- I think there are several reasons for this but for me I feel safer at night-its quieter and there is less glare and visual noise to deal with . The darkness provides respite from all the other sensory overloads that are so often synonymous with our condition. I love to be able to see the night sky and feel more in tune with it than I do the planet I live on. I do believe that many on the spectrum especially Aspergers also suffer from depression-many become night owls- I try not to do that as my body clock goes to pot and it screws up my medication-I try to maintain a balance- I like the sun but in moderation and welcome the onset of evening bringing a sence of peace and tranquility that I seldom feel or enjoy in daylight hours.

New Threads

Top Bottom