• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello there and you have done better than me, for introducing yourself. I always get a blankness come over me.

Anyway, to answer: yes, I do feel the NEED to know everything, but wear myself out trying and so, I get to know when it is needed.

Not much in my childhood, from what I remember. I believe it was a case of survival and so that is how I lived my life, but as an adult, it tended to shift and it was when we got our first chicken. In fact, the chicken had fallen off a lorry and we saved her. Had absolutely no idea about how to raise chickens and so, I thought: why not use the internet to see if I can find out anything? I was not hugely into the internet at that time; still preferred my books and that is where I got all my information and in fact, it was history that appealed to me at that time.

I go from knowing nothing about a given subject, to be very well informed, but what goes along with this, is frustration, because people just do not seem to care!

Welcome! I'm not good at not knowing things. I'm somewhat of a compulsive Googler, you could say. I'm so predictable that my boyfriend can tell when I try to suppress immediately grabbing my phone to find out something.
Yes, me too! If it's not finding out something I don't know it's verifying something I think is right but I have to be 100% sure and also find out more! I'm a huge word nerd...I collect them and remember them and usually can use them correctly in conversation without even remembering where or when I learned them, especially when it comes to tools and architecture...all the home renovations my parents did when I was little and endless watching of "This Old House" has Bob Villa on my brain computer popping in the proper names for things I didn't think I knew...odd but satisfying!

At some level though, don't you think using Google is cheating?
It could be. I use it because I want to learn more, not show off.

I love being able to reproduce random facts I have retained after googling them at some point in my life. My favorite pub trivia partner is a compulsive Googler just like me. Pub trivia, one of the few places where those random facts come in handy.

Hi there.... I have an Aspie partner.... And a middle son aspie...(not related)
What you have just described is massive..... I am NT but... And this is a relatively new thing... I feel that I have so many things in common with what you have just said.... Any way ... Welcome..!!
Okay Ladybug, I really want to know more! Very curious!

At some level though, don't you think using Google is cheating?

All those books I read,stuff I knew that no-one else did..

Nobody asks me what a palimpsest is anymore.
I don't think it's cheating, but I do reminisce about the old days of research in real books and web searching before Google. It wasn't common to be 18, on vacation, staying inside researching Filles du roi...or so everyone told me! Meanwhile, I remember both the vacation and the information so no harm!

Yes. If you don't understand how something works it will likely create problems in the future. Or cause harm out of ignorance.

But then sometimes when you simply bring something up to inform an NT on why something is bad you become the hated one and "know-it-all".
It's kind of funny when you think about it. Isn't everyone a know it all to the person who doesn't do (and never does) any research or any studying? :p

Yes! To me information is useful and neutral- It's hard to have to imagine how each individual in hearing distance (or across the globe via the net!) will take it, and judge motivations...just hear it and use it or don't!

Yes, me too! If it's not finding out something I don't know it's verifying something I think is right but I have to be 100% sure and also find out more! I'm a huge word nerd...I collect them and remember them and usually can use them correctly in conversation without even remembering where or when I learned them, especially when it comes to tools and architecture...all the home renovations my parents did when I was little and endless watching of "This Old House" has Bob Villa on my brain computer popping in the proper names for things I didn't think I knew...odd but satisfying!

Sequipedalionist

New Threads

Top Bottom