• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you Need to Decontaminate After Socializing?

I don't feel contaminated physically, but mentally - I feel kind of strange/surreal for a while. Especially when I go to someone else's house. I need a while to reset - usually ok the next day.

How being around other people, especially in their house, is exactly what gives me that strange/surreal
feeling. Also, the big box stores as they are called give that sort of sensation.
I have to get away and be to myself. Rest, curl up in bed or my favourite chair, get a night's sleep.
It goes away.
There are definitely different feelings of energy in the air, depending where you are at.

But, no, I don't feel physically dirty or contaminated to the point I feel I need to get home, wash the
clothes I was wearing and take a shower.
It's just a natural thing for me to start pulling the clothes off when I get home.
That's how I'm comfortable!

Kind of. I feel physically ill after directly interacting with people for a while. So I have to do a recovery similar to what I would do if I was sick: rest, drink water, etc.

I wonder if the need to change my clothes when I get home is similar to the "decontamination" concept? I wear comfortable things when I go out, but when I get home I still feel the need to change into different clothes.

What about socks? Do you change your socks before going to bed or is that being picky? Asking for a friend (lol). ;)

I wash my feet! Since I live on a boat we can't shower evety day, but just washing up at the sink with soap and wash cloth is a must every night before bed and I must wash my feet most of all.

Ok this is a weird question: but I am curious if there are others that feel they need to "decontaminate" (shower) after being around other people? My son and I are both that way. If we go to someone's house or to a BBQ or hang out for a short period of time with others, even if we don't do anything to get dirty, we both feel we need to "wash off other people". Neither one of us can relax until we do

Anyone else do this???
That is so interesting. I do not feel the need to decontaminate. But I have noticed that after work, which is full of social interactions, the best thing I can do for myself is to shower immediately when I come home. It's like a reset button or something, or maybe a sensory filled transition? Otherwise I don't actually transition, I stay in this weird limbo state where I am doing all kinds of things to distract myself from the lingering feelings of overwhelm - just zoning out and away.

I wash my feet! Since I live on a boat we can't shower evety day, but just washing up at the sink with soap and wash cloth is a must every night before bed and I must wash my feet most of all.
Wow, living on a boat sounds cool.

Just reminds me of the old basic training in-processing instruction "Nut to butt"

"Personal space, what's that?"
Ha...I just had to ask my husband what this meant, "nut to butt" during basic training. He started laughing. That's an interesting way to phrase it.:laughing:

Wow, living on a boat sounds cool.

It is actually my greatest challenge on many levels. There are a lot if practical considerations like limited storage, power and water. But bigger personal challenges too. I will post a new thread about it in off topic section if you are interested.

It is actually my greatest challenge on many levels. There are a lot if practical considerations like limited storage, power and water. But bigger personal challenges too. I will post a new thread about it in off topic section if you are interested.
I'd be interested in hearing more about it - especially how you decided to live in a boat. That sounds unusual.

Live on a boat?? I wanna go sailing!

A basin of water, some soap, and a washcloth are more than enough for all the cleanliness any healthy human needs.

Modern humans take cleanliness to an absurd level. You shouldn't stink or have visible dirt or lanky, oily hair but that's a social thing, not a medical need. Your skin is designed to produce oil to stay moist, sweat to keep you cool, and have a layer of dead skin cells on the surface for protection.

I'm interested.

New Threads

Top Bottom