• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you Need to Decontaminate After Socializing?

Amy Stone

V.I.P Member
Ok this is a weird question: but I am curious if there are others that feel they need to "decontaminate" (shower) after being around other people? My son and I are both that way. If we go to someone's house or to a BBQ or hang out for a short period of time with others, even if we don't do anything to get dirty, we both feel we need to "wash off other people". Neither one of us can relax until we do

Anyone else do this???

I do it, but physically.

Hand washing, full shower, lots of shampoo.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. Being around others for any period of time (except immediate family) just feels "gross" somehow. The way most people act and the things they do really doesnt help.

Though I do find it far easier to simply refuse to do most social things, because screw it, I'm an adult, the family cant force it anymore.

Found it helped after work, definitely felt dirty after being around people. It's the contagion of thought.

Ok this is a weird question: but I am curious if there are others that feel they need to "decontaminate" (shower) after being around other people? My son and I are both that way. If we go to someone's house or to a BBQ or hang out for a short period of time with others, even if we don't do anything to get dirty, we both feel we need to "wash off other people". Neither one of us can relax until we do

Anyone else do this???

Yes. my wife and I both do this.
Gets rid of smells of other people/places too.

I take a shower before and after work. But for me it's not about cleanliness it's a dividing line between the my time and the time I've sold to my company

So old and farty like a crusty barnacle (me) that l want to decontaminate the people before l go into the store. Now that masks are off in my state, personal boundaries are a pipe dream.

So old and farty like a crusty barnacle (me) that l want to decontaminate the people before l go into the store. Now that masks are off in my state, personal boundaries are a pipe dream.
Just reminds me of the old basic training in-processing instruction "Nut to butt"

"Personal space, what's that?"

I don't feel contaminated physically, but mentally - I feel kind of strange/surreal for a while. Especially when I go to someone else's house. I need a while to reset - usually ok the next day.

What strikes me more is that there are some places I go where the feel and atmosphere of the place is great, this may include the people that are there to an extent. Some people's homes may feel like that, I don't mix enough to know of many, like a comfortable place of familiarity and warmth and creativity, perhaps.

And places I have been for interesting residential trainings or events, the lovely feel of the place, early in the morning, perhaps a garden or grounds, one place we could swim or row in the morning, and all the rooms were comfortable and unique.

Good point @Thinx
the atmosphere does make a big difference. I've been to graveyards, religious sites, and a concentration camp(Creepy) near Grafenwohr (Bavaria, Germany) I don't remember the name of the camp it was back in 2009
Each had a distinct feeling.

Anyone else do this???

Sounds like a bit of OCD. I don't think it is "an autism thing" per se, even though many people with autism do have varying degrees of OCD.

It’s a sensory thing with me so yes. Where I’m from people hug you all the time, and I like that part okay but most like those body sprays or the men with their aftershave, most smells send me into some kind of neurological spell that has me sweating and sometimes actually falling and hitting the ground. That isn’t ocd at all, it’s just that smells, esp strong smells have that effect.

I love to go to church, this is a problem because lots of people wear scented things and like it. Always had to take a bath after everyone hugs you at church because of all the different smells it made me so sick, literally vomiting.

Sounds normal to me! :)

Edited to say; this is due to a wacked out hypothalamus whereas my body is concerned and it’s my understanding it cannot be fixed - hope I didn’t sound sarcastic. Sometimes I come across like that and don’t mean it at all.

Last edited:
Nah, I don't need to shower after visiting people. Other human beings aren't germs, that we would be somehow superior. It's kind of creepy to think like that.

But, I do feel very, very tired and sensitive after socialization. So, usually I go home and I get into bed and play some computer games or I just lie there with my eyes closed to get over the overwhelmingness.

Nah, I don't need to shower after visiting people. Other human beings aren't germs, that we would be somehow superior. It's kind of creepy to think like that.

But, I do feel very, very tired and sensitive after socialization. So, usually I go home and I get into bed and play some computer games or I just lie there with my eyes closed to get over the overwhelmingness.

What about socks? Do you change your socks before going to bed or is that being picky? Asking for a friend (lol). ;)

I usually feel like a need to "recharge" after socialization, in the sense that it robs me of energy.

Though oddly enough as much as my OCD can "tax" me, I'm not a germaphobe. Those sort of things never really bothered me. Reminds me of when I used to help my girlfriend take care of her daughter. Realized that parenting young kids can be quite messy on occasion. Glad this is one thing that doesn't slow me down.

Being a parent of five kids, I came in contact with a lot of poop, pee and puke. Being around other people does not make feel dirty, after experiencing what comes out of little kids. I do not like being around other people, but it is not because they make me feel dirty.

You might think that I do not like being a parent, but becoming a husband and father is the best thing that I have ever done. My family makes me very, very happy.

What about socks? Do you change your socks before going to bed or is that being picky? Asking for a friend (lol). ;)
One ought to remove them without replacement and toss them in the laundry. Why would one wear socks to bed? That sounds unhygienic. Feet need to air out so they don't remain moist and vulnerable to athlete's foot.

One ought to remove them without replacement and toss them in the laundry. Why would one wear socks to bed? That sounds unhygienic. Feet need to air out so they don't remain moist and vulnerable to athlete's foot.

Lol people are so different. I’d never sleep with no socks, my feet are too cold! They do not sweat, no moisture I have to actually put moisture on them they are so dry and the skin on my feet is paper thin. If you clean your feet daily and then do this it’s not unhygienic at all but protection for little old lady feet. If your skin is prone to tearing then to clean and cover it is best.

For some people this may be a bad idea, would depend on the person and the lifestyle I guess. I’ll keep my clean socks on thank you :D

New Threads

Top Bottom