• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you love yourself?

Voltaic

Plaidhiker@youtube
I don't love, let alone like myself.
I wish I did.

Edit: Let me rephrase. Do you love, or hate yourself?

Last edited:
I'm incapable of of truly answering this question. I don't hate myself or love myself. I just exist and focus on other things.

In a way I like my honesty and willingness to help others, but often this has got me into more trouble than good in my life, E.g. it gets thrown back in my face, so in many ways I don't love myself.

I've always found that an odd phrase. 'Love', to me, requires an exchange of some sort. It doesn't hold much weight for me when people just say it. It is very easy for someone to say 'I love you' and then act in an entirely opposite manner. I love my sister, so I exchange my time, energy and money/gifts to show that. She is a seperate entity to me, so the exchange is between the two of us and (in her case) reciprocated. I can't really do that with myself. I could buy myself presents, but that would just be exchanging my own time and energy for my own benefit. I may as well not bother.

If you are asking if I believe other people in the world value me to a level that I am satisfied with, then I would have to make a guess based on only a small amount of people from the billions on the planet. I think I'm a useful person and will hopefully leave the bits of the universe I have influenced in a slightly better state than how I found them. That's my goal anyway. So while I don't 'love' myself, I'm fairly happy that I am making (at least) mediocre to good use of my time here.

My report card would probably read 'adequate; could try harder'.

Last edited:
I used to have problems with self-esteem, but now I feel like I really like myself most of the time. Though I do still tend to get down on myself when I'm upset.

Both and neither, I suppose, at different times.

I think everyone is worthy of love, myself included. But I have gone through times when I did not include myself, when I seriously questioned whether I was worthy of love.....very dark, very lonely times.

Nope, not a big fan myself. There's some cool stuff, but the bad head stuff overwhelms it huge.

Overall, I love myself. There are some aspects of myself I'm not too happy with, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Nope. When you're brought up with nothing but criticism, self esteem is generally hard to manage. And when people just dump you for no perceptible reason, it doesn't improve things.
However since I realized I'm Aspie I'm starting to like myself a little more and not beating myself up for things the way I used to. Maybe there's hope for me yet!

The best I can say is that I am cool with myself. Love, to my ear, sounds strange as applied to my self. Love seems to be more about connecting to others. Connecting to myself, by that standard, seems superfluous.

Answered from another angle, I am glad to be alive, and that God adopted me.

"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." John 1:12-13, NKJV
clap_orig.gif

Last edited:
I struggle with not loving myself,but I’m learning each day to be more kinder to myself and not beat myself up too much.

Simple question with a complicated answer. Either at "Yes, but..." or a "No, however..." depending on what aspect we are talking about.

New Threads

Top Bottom