• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you love yourself better or others?

Love for myself vs. others? Apples & oranges.

Love for myself amounts more to care & maintenance. I do not see myself as a recipient of my own enhanced love. I am certainly a recipient of God's love since He washed my sins away. (He loved me before that, but that stood in the way of my receiving it.)
My love for others includes their physical well-being, but it targets their souls.
My ability to offer such focused love depends on my depth of relationship with them.
I Am Loved, Bill Gaither Trio (1979)
What do you mean by you do not see yourself as,a recipient of your own enhanced love?
I have a deep love and care for others but do not often feel very loved and supported in my own life even though I know my family do love me.
I have not spent a life feeling very loved by others but still have loved others with my whole heart.
However I have always felt very loved by God hut others and their problems and sins and lack of faith has made me feel very bitter and cold and hurt my own relationship very severely.
The way people take advantage of the vulnerable and how they never want to talk about faith or God.

If you had to chose, do you love others more than yourself, be honest I will not judge
I consider everyone to be, disregarding genetic elements for a moment, the same fundamentally. So thus I love myself as much as I love everyone else. The question to me is whether I love humanity, and to that I'd generally say yes, although I have MANY problems with my society I live in. Whether someone is good or evil is pure chance. If you had the option to live a hundred different lives, chances are some of those lives would be evil. If I were to live an infinite amount of lives, then purely statistically speaking, it would be impossible that I would not commit something evil like murder in one of them. This is universal for everyone, even if they are uncomfortable with it.

Others. I don't really think of my own wellbeing much at all. Everything is for my loved ones.

What do you mean by you do not see yourself as,a recipient of your own enhanced love?
I understood your question to be:
Who do you love more, yourself or others?

I don't see them as being the same process.
  1. To me, self-love is just taking care of the minimum/basic needs of my body, soul & spirit.*
  2. Loving others is about being a blessing to them on all three fronts.
If I do not do #1, I will be unable to sustain #2.

It is a little like the emergency oxygen mask instructions given on an airplane where you are told to secure your own mask first before assisting your neighbor. If you pass out first, you will not be able to help anybody else.

*Not necessarily your extravagant wants.

Last edited:
I'm largely indiffernt - yet, I value consensus for both my own personal reasons, as well as considering others.

New Threads

Top Bottom