• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you like or dislike horror movies?

My wife and I went to see the "Blair Witch Project" in a theater, when it first came out. This movie really upset me, because I actually spent money to see this really bad movie. My wife thought it was scary, I thought it was stupid.

My wife and I went to see the "Blair Witch Project" in a theater, when it first came out. This movie really upset me, because I actually spent money to see this really bad movie. My wife thought it was scary, I thought it was stupid.

I was thrilled when I saw it.

Thrilled that I didn't pay an admission price to see it on television. :p

They missed the mark in concentrating on Jack's character given that it was his son Danny who could "shine".

In the book, the emphasis was on the young boy being able to 'see' and understand certain aspects of the hotel that were paranormal. The ghosts were the horror aspect, not so much Nicholson as caretaker. Steven King has indicated more than once that they displaced and obfuscated the original plot. After that, he made certain he had more control over the plots of the movies.

Enjoyed reading the books for, the Stand, Firestarter, Salem's Lot, the Dark Tower series, Green Mile, Tommyknockers, Thinner, Dolores Claiborne and Misery. And then the movies that came later.

In the book, the emphasis was on the young boy being able to 'see' and understand certain aspects of the hotel that were paranormal. The ghosts were the horror aspect, not so much Nicholson as caretaker. Steven King has indicated more than once that they displaced and obfuscated the original plot. After that, he made certain he had more control over the plots of the movies.

Enjoyed reading the books for, the Stand, Firestarter, Salem's Lot, the Dark Tower series, Green Mile, Tommyknockers, Thinner, Dolores Claiborne and Misery. And then the movies that came later.

Very lucrative for well-known authors to turn over their stories to well-known directors and producers. But at what cost when they so cavalierly deviate from a book?

Yeah, Stanley Kubrick made a mess of "The Shining" and likely didn't bat an eye about it. As I recall, Stephen King did have some choice words for Stanley Kubrick in "Eli Roth's History of Horror". Of course Kubrick isn't around to have heard them.

As for myself, I honestly can't say there's a Stephen King story I didn't like.

...but I think that's where the subjective angle of horror comes in. The idea of losing my marbles disturbs me more than most concepts ...

I’d agree.
Shutter Island and A Brilliant Mind did something similar for me.

The main characters being absolutely certain of a reality that wasn’t considered a norm’

Immersed in madness/sickness without realising.

As for myself, I honestly can't say there's a Stephen King story I didn't like.

It, was a true terror for me personally, a co-worker had read the book, and periodically would tell me that there was a weird clown outside the building waiting at the corner. And I had to go and look, she was relentless and the idea kept me in a state of anxiety for some time. She actually bought balloons and attached them to a gargoyle on the buildings facade. Did eventually enact revenge and found out she liked to be pranked. So we continued on in that way, and are still friends to this day. :)

It, was a true terror for me personally, a co-worker had read the book, and periodically would tell me that there was a weird clown outside the building waiting at the corner. And I had to go and look, she was relentless and the idea kept me in a state of anxiety for some time. She actually bought balloons and attached them to a gargoyle on the buildings facade. Did eventually enact revenge and found out she liked to be pranked. So we continued on in that way, and are still friends to this day. :)

Until "It" and "Killer Klowns From Outer Space", I never really did consider any malevolent aspect to clowns in general. They were all just Emmett Kelly or J.P. Patches types. Harmless. Now I know better! j/k ;)

Actually I'm still a bit puzzled as to how that all got started. Perhaps "collateral damage" from the momentum of those seeking better lives for mistreated circus animals?

In Tombstone, memories of a famed clown who was sad, not ‘creepy’ | Arizona Sonora News Service

Last edited:
I’d agree.
Shutter Island and A Brilliant Mind did something similar for me.

The main characters being absolutely certain of a reality that wasn’t considered a norm’

Immersed in madness/sickness without realising.

I haven't actually seen "A Brilliant Mind" - but "Shutter Island" - Oh yes - very much indeed! That one actually took me quite by surprise towards the end. A masterful piece of entertainment that :)

ntil "It" and "Killer Klowns From Outer Space", I never really did consider any malevolent aspect to clowns in general. They were all just Emmett Kelly or J.P. Patches types. Harmless.

"Enter the young Charles Dickens. After Grimaldi died penniless and an alcoholic in 1837 (the coroner’s verdict: “Died by the visitation of God”), Dickens was charged with editing Grimaldi’s memoirs. Dickens had already hit upon the dissipated, drunken clown theme in his 1836 The Pickwick Papers. In the serialized novel, he describes an off-duty clown—reportedly inspired by Grimaldi’s son—whose inebriation and ghastly, wasted body contrasted with his white face paint and clown costume. Unsurprisingly, Dickens’ version of Grimadli’s life was, well, Dickensian, and, Stott says, imposed a “strict economy”: For every laugh he wrought from his audiences, Grimaldi suffered commensurate pain.

Stott credits Dickens with watering the seeds in popular imagination of the scary clown—he’d even go so far as to say Dickens invented the scary clown—by creating a figure who is literally destroying himself to make his audiences laugh. What Dickens did was to make it difficult to look at a clown without wondering what was going on underneath the make-up: Says Stott, “It becomes impossible to disassociate the character from the actor.” That Dickens’s version of Grimaldi’s memoirs was massively popular meant that this perception, of something dark and troubled masked by humor, would stick.
"

The History and Psychology of Clowns Being Scary | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian Fascinating article.

I have a cousin six years older than myself who is absolutely terrified of clowns
yet he is a writer of bloody psychopath crime stories.
I always thought the idea of clowns being so scary to a lot of people was
1. Maybe as a small child they were scared of the clowns they first saw in life at a circus, etc.
2. The what lurks behind the make-up, the disguise? The hidden unknown.

I think I must be the only person who liked Blair Witch Project xD I think the unknown scared me, the fact that you never got to see the monster. Was it real? Was it in their head? It's just left open for interpretation.

I hate when I can see actors reading off a script too, when you can tell they're remembering lines... I guess because Blair Witch was pretty much ad-libbed it helped connect with them more - though I do know parts were REALLY cheesy.

The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix was fantastic though, the actors did an incredible job so I was able to immerse myself. It was pretty scary... and very emotional too...

I think I must be the only person who liked Blair Witch Project xD I think the unknown scared me, the fact that you never got to see the monster. Was it real? Was it in their head? It's just left open for interpretation.
I liked Blair Witch. After seeing it in the theater I left not knowing how I felt - mostly confused and a bit nervous because it was like watching kids being terrified and they were not acting. It's not one I'd watch again but I was reading an article about it and I think it's terrible that they did set those kids up to scare the crap out of them just to make money.

You know, I don't know if it was because of this discussion but I had a nightmarish dream last night. I was noticing these spots on the floor - kind of looked like dandelion feathers. But if you kept watching them they would grow into this big protozoa looking things. But when they were so small they could get into your skin, then they would get big and eat you from the inside out. Discovered that they were attracted to music and they just started coming in swarms and I was trying to rescue people and at first they were not believing me.

I like some of those based on fictional/imaginary themes, like Sci-fi. I don't like realistic type stories for the same reason I avoid certain news - too disturbing. There has to be some quality and originality to the work for it to be interesting to me. Stuff that just depends on excessive gore, for instance is boring/unwatchable. I watch both old and new.

I have had a bad day. I mean REALLY crappy. If it weren't for the language standards on this forum, my description would be far more "colourful" for certain.
My other half has just gone up to bed and I can't switch my brain off. So I decided on my usual tactic that often works to shut me down and allow me to sleep. I'm watching what I call a "comfort movie". Something familiar and non threatening that I don't have to think about too much.
Which movie have I chosen?
The 1080p remaster of John Carpenter's "The Thing".

Last edited:
The 1080p remaster of John Carpenter's "The Thing".

Gotta love that scene when a very patient Mr. Garry asks that he be untied from the chair. :p

Absolutely one of my favorite sci-fi films. I even have the soundtrack apart from the DVD. :cool:

Gotta love those "Swedes". :p

"Se til helvete og kom dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje, det er en slags ting! Det imiterer en bikkje, det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, idioter!"

John Carpenter. I also have his soundtracks from "Escape From New York" and "Halloween" as well.

A brilliant musician as well as a director/producer. :cool:

Though Ennio Morricone certainly did justice in doing the soundtrack to "The Thing".

Guess I have to point out that the latest remake of "The Thing" was disappointment. Not surprising, just disappointing.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom