• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you like or dislike horror movies?

Yeah I felt the same way. Rob Bottin's practical make up & effects in the original 80s version were amazing.i've seen a couple of YT videos about how they made the reboot with practical effects but the distributors insisted on overlaying them with CGI. Baaaaaad decision.
Ooh, I'm just watching the autopsy of the "dog" - very apt :)

Yeah I felt the same way. Rob Bottin's practical make up & effects in the original 80s version were amazing.i've seen a couple of YT videos about how they made the reboot with practical effects but the distributors insisted on overlaying them with CGI. Baaaaaad decision.
Ooh, I'm just watching the autopsy of the "dog" - very apt :)

Yeah, the reboot's special effects were "uneven" at best. But what really stood out to me was the complete lack of character development. Something the 1982 version excelled at, IMO.

Last edited:
Can't disagree with you there, but I do think the effects might have made the difference between "passable" and "disappointing".

Can't disagree with you there, but I do think the effects might have made the difference between "passable" and "disappointing".

Well, I think most anyone doing a sci-fi film in this day and age is competing with the best of CGI. A "make-or-break" consideration and comparison that's pretty hard to ignore. Though back in 1982 I thought Rob Bottin's work on "The Thing" was incredible. :cool:

I can't stand the genre purely for blood and guts. But I love the movies that leave you thinking. Yes I think Blair Witch is a great one, also The Shining, The Ring, the original Amityville.....

I guess for me it's how you define horror. If you are talking about senseless over the top gore and jump scares then the answer would be no. I am not scared by any movie but I do like a good horror movie. John Carpenter's version of The Thing is one of my favorites. I also like many of the "B" horror movies especially with Bruce Campbell (i.e. Bubba Ho-Tep and My name is Bruce) as he adds an air of humor to them. Solace is also a really good movie but it's more a psychological thriller. I can't stand zombie movies at all nor can I watch shaky cam movies as they make me dizzy.

The stories I write often revolve around the psychology of the characters in them. Mental health, perception of reality, also fantasy and/or science fiction elements are common. I remember a story that I wrote when I was nine, which featured gore but that wasn't the main focus. Nor was it the true horror of the story. The part which made it jarring was the revelation itself that this gore caused one of the characters.

It featured a one sided relationship. The Lord of the house is a selfish man, and oblivious to how his servant feels about him. Whilst she is hurt by being ignored, the servant is still enamoured with this man. One day a demon whispers to her, with instructions to go outside at night in the forest. Later on the same creature calls for the man, just after he notices that his servant is missing. Foolishly, both characters comply. He walks into a clearing, and finds what looks like a lake. The demonic voice tells him to go for a swim. So he did. He is enjoying it, until all of a sudden it is revealed to be a hallucination caused by the demon. The man finds himself in a puddle of blood next to the dead corpse of his servant. He is brought to tears because he never realised how much he took her for granted until this moment. "Now it's too late" he mourned.

Hmm. Perhaps that's more of a tragedy? It certainly has elements of horror in though. "Wait, you wrote that when you were nine?" you may be asking in disbelief. Yes. I was strange child. Anyway, I tend to prefer horror stories that are more on the mystery, psychological, and sometimes science fiction or fantasy side of things. I like mythical creatures/monsters. However, I don't like gore that's added just for the shock value. I especially hate jump scares. :eek:

I've watched so many horror films in my life and I'm not scared anymore. Maybe that's because it's kinda predictable.

Likely why I don't watch them. How do you feel about horror movies?
I hate horror or too intense movies — sad drama can seriously make me feel super sad for days. I just feel too much. This is why I spent years watching just romantic comedies. But even those can be pretty intense when things start to roll in wrong direction before katharsis.

Not really a fan, main thing that put me off was I saw Jaws when I was about 5, just before a family Holiday, and it put me off going in the Sea for fear of Shark attacks, till Mum told me there's no Sharks in British waters, apart from Basking Sharks and they never attack anybody.

Not really a fan, main thing that put me off was I saw Jaws when I was about 5, just before a family Holiday, and it put me off going in the Sea for fear of Shark attacks, till Mum told me there's no Sharks in British waters, apart from Basking Sharks and they never attack anybody.

I too haven't been in salt water ever since I saw "Jaws".

Though the last time I was in the ocean and inadvertently got caught in a riptide, a mouthful of Southern California sea water was just as traumatic to me as the thought of being bitten by a shark. Not to mention the water temperature of Northern California waters. Too cold with or without Great White sharks.

But then a "Jaws 5" might scare me the most at this point of my life. With each sequel being worse than the last. :eek:

i avoided them for a while because i'm a damn *****, but after watching a few of them i gotta say i came to love the genre. it has the unique quality where when its good its good but even when its bad its a 50 50 situation where it still has an enternainment value to it

to those who are scared to start them, i suggestion going to watch some of the older ones since their special effects are so cheap and dated that there is no way you can get spooked, while also adding a campy athosphere and letting you enjoy the story with more ease

as for personal tastes, i mostly get a laugh out of gorier stuff

Not a fan,I don’t usually like overly bloody and violent movies and find most horror films are just violent for the sake of violence,my oldest brother use to hire a lot of really violent horror movies when I was a kid and I swear some of them contributed to the night terrors I got.

I dislike. Not because I consider them frightening or I'm scared of them, but because they are stupid fictional works that, at least for me, are worthless.
Fact is, I know the world is a f*cked up place, then why whould I disturb my mind watching stupid fictions full of violence, gore and despair for the sake of violence? I prefer to divert my mind to more healthy activities, like instrumental music and good movies without promiscuity, drugs or evil.

I like horror movies, but I'm picky about them. I don't like ones that confuse shocking the audience with ridiculous amounts of violence and gore with actually being scary. I like the ones that make you think a bit, and ones that stick with you long after the movie is over.

New Threads

Top Bottom