• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you know how to be a blogger that does not involve instagram or youtube?

It's really not that hard. First you need to rent a bit of space on the net, currently one of the cheapest, fastest and most reliable hosts is Hostinger.

You also need to buy a unique domain name and have it pointed at your site, that's usually best done through whatever host you decide to use because they will then set it up for you.

Then you either use the Wordpress site builder that comes with most hosts, or if you're like me and prefer a lot more freedom of design you start writing your own HTML.

I make video blogs (vlogs) quite regularly but I don't always share them on here. Contrary to what it may seem, my day to day life during the work week is pretty lackluster and some people would probably find some of my videos boring.

I don't have Instagram, Tiktok, Facebook, or anything like that and I don't post my videos on Youtube. I do use Vimeo and Vidyard, but no one can see my videos unless they have a link.

Blogs definitely were a real thing when I was younger but I don't know if people still use them, or if they've mostly migrated over to Instagram now.

This question is kind of adorable to me. Being a blogger used to literally mean writing for a weblog.
It is sad, did you or any of you ever do live journal?
I think web bloggers need to come back where you can have a journal and do diys.
If anyone has a site where you can do blogs and then then link them all up so you can add others webpages kind of like social media but only cooler so.you could go to your friends blogs
If someone steals it oh well...
Maybe one day.I would still be credit for the idea

I make video blogs (vlogs) quite regularly but I don't always share them on here. Contrary to what it may seem, my day to day life during the work week is pretty lackluster and some people would probably find some of my videos boring.

I don't have Instagram, Tiktok, Facebook, or anything like that and I don't post my videos on Youtube. I do use Vimeo and Vidyard, but no one can see my videos unless they have a link.

Blogs definitely were a real thing when I was younger but I don't know if people still use them, or if they've mostly migrated over to Instagram now.
Yes I do not like tiktok, Facebook and Instagram
But I did do both Facebook and Instagram but they were both bad for me
Did you ever do MySpace?.
Tom everyone's first friend is a travel photographer now...long gone

Yes I do not like tiktok, Facebook and Instagram
But I did do both Facebook and Instagram but they were both bad for me
Did you ever do MySpace?.
Tom everyone's first friend is a travel photographer now...long gone
Nope, never had myspace, although I was a teenager when it was popular. I had very limited access to the internet until I was in college.

I have started a blog a couple of times but I really couldn't get the hang of it, not could I keep up at it. I was surprised, being so I've spent the last 13 years talking about myself on internet forums like this. But I just treat this like a blog-like thing and I'll stick to it.

It is sad, did you or any of you ever do live journal?
Yes, I used to have a livejournal as a teen.
MySpace after that. But livejournal was peak
angsty journaling time. We were collectively lonely and misunderstood, haha.
I had a blog on blogspot too (until I had a moment of clarity and realized I didn’t feel my life was interesting enough to share with the world).

Yes, I used to have a livejournal as a teen.
MySpace after that. But livejournal was peak
angsty journaling time. We were collectively lonely and misunderstood, haha.
I had a blog on blogspot too (until I had a moment of clarity and realized I didn’t feel my life was interesting enough to share with the world).
Yes I did live journal but never had any friends on it but just did from time to time.
I did myspace and made a few friends that were cool, I loved how you could put music on your profile.

What does blogging have to do with instagram or youtube?
So people have sort of blogs on YouTube where they update on their life, their channel has life updates and diys
And Instagram kind of the same but you cannot blog that much, they do it through photos or link it to their YouTube channels.
I like old fashioned blogging better

Like could you create your own webpage and how you would do it?
WordPress, Medium, and Substack are all good sites for blogging. You can try to monetize your site or you can do it just for the enjoyment of online journaling. I have work on all three. Autistic Forums has a blogging section but I don't want to just blog for people on the forum. I like writing things and getting compliments from the general public.

I had LiveJournal to keep up with friends while it was basically pre-MySpace social media. I left it when most people jumped on other platforms.

WordPress is a popular blogging platform, but it's criticized by people who design websites from it for not always being intuitive to work with. If you want to do something else, I'd recommend Squarespace.

I had LiveJournal to keep up with friends while it was basically pre-MySpace social media. I left it when most people jumped on other platforms.

WordPress is a popular blogging platform, but it's criticized by people who design websites from it for not always being intuitive to work with. If you want to do something else, I'd recommend Squarespace.
I've never tried Squarespace. Is it really a blogging platform? I think WordPress offers more options for layout than most blogging platforms. Right, center, and left alignment for text and photos. Resize images in the editor. Slide shows and galleries. Wordwrap around photos. Colored text. Different fonts. You can make it look nicer if you have a lot of images.

AFAIR, Every ISP I've used to get an email address also bundled in some web page hosting with a useful amount of traffic allowed before fees kick in. Ze Frank once posted a video for friends that went viral on his, and owed $30k in two days.

I've never tried Squarespace. Is it really a blogging platform? I think WordPress offers more options for layout than most blogging platforms. Right, center, and left alignment for text and photos. Resize images in the editor. Slide shows and galleries. Wordwrap around photos. Colored text. Different fonts. You can make it look nicer if you have a lot of images.
Yes, I agree, I really should have phrased my post better. Squarespace is like WordPress in that you can use it for both blogging and creating a website. My thought process was trying to throw out another option for the OP if the bigger platforms like WP or Medium didn't suit them. There's a tradeoff of less customization/features than WordPress, but SS might do the job as something that can be less complicated, if that's what they want.

Don't forget about Blogger and Google Sites! A lot of the older places still exist, and while they may seem lackluster in today's world, they still function the same as they used to which can be somewhat beneficial if you're mostly just sharing them with a select group of people.

Unfortunately for blogging-enthusiasts, Instagram and Youtube have really taken off. But there are a few ways to get creative with mixing mediums; meaning, potentially reading your blogs as a script with a basic video overlay, using strictly unlisted privacy options (as @Luca pointed out), or even using Youtube's Community feature (most people don't even know this exists!) to do most of your blogging-related stuff.

(Most of my YT video uploads these days are unlisted, too, because you don't always want to broadcast everything to everyone [or even all of your followers])

Oh, and if you have followers or people who would want to be a part of something, options like Patreon exist and you can even offer free memberships for them, if that's your thing. This allows for pretty extensive spaces for blogging / writing to your members which can essentially take the place of blogging in today's world!

There's nothing wrong with doing something in a niche category like this, either. Because as we all can guess, it'll inevitably become 'cool' again to the younger generations and then you'll be way ahead of the curve. The internet loves niches, too, so even creating a following around blogging isn't crazy to consider in today's world!

Last edited:
Don't forget about Blogger and Google Sites! A lot of the older places still exist, and while they may seem lackluster in today's world, they still function the same as they used to which can be somewhat beneficial if you're mostly just sharing them with a select group of people.

Unfortunately for blogging-enthusiasts, Instagram and Youtube have really taken off. But there are a few ways to get creative with mixing mediums; meaning, potentially reading your blogs as a script with a basic video overlay, using strictly unlisted privacy options (as @Luca pointed out), or even using Youtube's Community feature (most people don't even know this exists!) to do most of your blogging-related stuff.

(Most of my YT video uploads these days are unlisted, too, because you don't always want to broadcast everything to everyone [or even all of your followers])

Oh, and if you have followers or people who would want to be a part of something, options like Patreon exist and you can even offer free memberships for them, if that's your thing. This allows for pretty extensive spaces for blogging / writing to your members which can essentially take the place of blogging in today's world!

There's nothing wrong with doing something in a niche category like this, either. Because as we all can guess, it'll inevitably become 'cool' again to the younger generations and then you'll be way ahead of the curve. The internet loves niches, too, so even creating a following around blogging isn't crazy to consider in today's world!
WordPress
Medium
Substack

Side note -- I just started up a Patreon and it feels a lot like blogging. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't just 'the new way to blog' ™ because everyone has better internets these days and it's sometimes easier to follow someone talking rather than written word, especially when dealing with complicated topics.

Would recommend, even though I don't have a following there yet myself. It's got that spontaneous feel to it.

Also it seems like it's a little harder to monetize the written word, but people (on a general level) will typically pay a few bucks to be part of a 'club' where they can get whatever your blog (written or vlogging) about. Even if it's not about the money for you (which, same here honestly), it's cool to know people want to support what you've got going on.

New Threads

Top Bottom