• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have different kind of friends and how many friends?

I believe I have one friend, NT, I can trust - I've had a lot of trouble defining the concept of 'friend' in my own mind.. as the ASD advice says, "Not everyone who is nice to you is your friend"; I'm just gullible & usually find I'm taken advantage of in some way.
Also started texting a woman from a local Aspie group I went to recently, guess time'll see where that goes.

I believe I have one friend, NT, I can trust - I've had a lot of trouble defining the concept of 'friend' in my own mind.. as the ASD advice says, "Not everyone who is nice to you is your friend"; I'm just gullible & usually find I'm taken advantage of in some way.
Also started texting a woman from a local Aspie group I went to recently, guess time'll see where that goes.
Im very gullible too and want everyone to be my friend. I assume the best about everyone. Thanks for your saying/quote. Good luck with Aspie girl! :)

I get taken advantage of too because (I've been told) I "try too hard" to get everyone to like me! I have so much to learn!

I have no friends. Two men regard me as a friend but if they disappeared out of my life, I wouldn't even notice - just like the others who have faded into infinity. Family, friends, it doesn't matter. I have no interest in any of them. Never have! Never will! Stupid carbon-based O2 breathers.

I only have two people to visit with offline, one Aspie and one NT. I haven't made a new IRL friend in several years.

Most of my friends are male, and pretty much all of them are acquaintances - never quite got the hang of progressing past that stage!

I'd love to have close friends and best friends but no clue how to go about doing it. And I'd like to meet more new people, though it's a bit of a struggle..

I'd love to have close friends and best friends but no clue how to go about doing it. And I'd like to meet more new people, though it's a bit of a struggle..
I totally agree! I am going to get a new book called Living on the Spectrum - it has a large section about social skills which I copied before but then threw away because I thought I didn't need it. Now, accepting my AS, I see that I do! I'm so glad that we are so alike, all of us. But there are solutions!!! I will never have a million friends and I may be misunderstood a bunch, but I can grow, and you can too!

I have no friends - online or otherwise. I have my husband, sib-in-laws (who I'm not really that friendly with anyway), and my sister.. but that's more family, rather than an independent friendship I formed. There are a couple of girls who I exchange handwritten letters with, who I hope to call friends one day.. in time. :3

i have two friends. one of which im not sure shes a true friend. one of which ive been friends with since i was 14 (im almost 29) and thats a mystery to me lol

Personally, I tend to define a friend as someone I could call at 3 a.m. if I needed to. Not that that's some sort of universal yardstick for friendship, of course. But by my own standards, I have one friend - my SO.

In terms of people who mean a lot to me and to whom I have reason to suspect that I mean something, too, there are a few more. In precise numbers, there are four such people who aren't quite friends by my own definition, but who are definitely more than acquaintances. They're somewhere in-between, I suppose.

Acquaintances that I meet/catch up with every once in a blue moon if and when I feel up to it - sometimes only once a year or less - half a dozen, I suppose.

To the best of my knowledge, and also in my own opinion, every last one of them is NT. But, I have needed my entire life to date to assemble this ecclectic group of people for whom I don't cease to exist because I'm not a social butterfly. And I have no reason to expect that we, or some of us, won't eventually drift apart again.

I'm a bit surprised at the numbers now - so many people! But these particular people are so uniquely tolerant of my idiosyncrasies and my need for frequent downtime that it doesn't feel like such a large (to me) social circle (and I mean that in a positive sense). Otherwise I wouldn't be able to cope.

I have one longtime friend who lives over 400 miles away. And a handful of people I would call "acquaintances". Then there's my cousin, my brother and two dogs. And people I've met here.

Basically that's my whole world, socially speaking.

I have my partner of nine years and a friend I've known for over 30 years. These are the closest. I have a couple good friend that are related to my old friend (her mom and boyfriend). The rest are acquaintances but we've never gone out for coffee or anything like that. I want to grow a few of the acquaintances into friend but it is really hard.

I have a small group of people I would classify as friends. It takes me a long time to learn to be comfortable around a person also I have to like them but my friends are very different

Well, I guess like most others, I have acquaintances and it is only really, fairly recently ie like in the last 2 year's that I finally found a "friend" and lol since, I came to appreciate what is going on with me, I am recognizing traits in her too and so that is probably why we get on sooo well. But I have a couple of other friends now, and they are not aspie and one of them, is accepting that I am and trying to understand me.

New Threads

Top Bottom