• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you hate copycats?

kmom2014

I have no idea if this is a "thing" or if it's just me but I HATE copycats. Like, with a passion. When someone copies my style or a tattoo I have or someone else has or my hair color or even sharing something I myself wrote or posted on Facebook (ok that's more of a privacy thing) but I have always hated it and it gets me upset and stressed out. I've had a girl copy the placement of a tattoo and then try to dye her hair purple. The placement on a girl isn't common either.

As a tween and teen I always got pissed when someone jacked my style unless I wanted them to dress like me because I thought it was cool (tall spice girl shoes, men's ties WAY before Avril Lavigne (?) did it, etc). Idk it just pisses me off!

I never really cared for other people that much so their appearance basically doesn't bother me as much, even if it's similar to mine.

What irks me is that, if you dress a certain way and people copy that style, they might tarnish your own reputation because people mistake him/her for you.

As for being original; by now I've seen enough to not feel amazed when I see something else. I always felt that everyone has to get their ideas somewhere. Some just tend to make better use of the resources they're given to look good and some lack imagination to think beyond the few basic items that make up a certain "look".

I don't give it a thought. But then I'd think such sentiments are impractical given that fashion is inherently contagious.

Nah, I'd take that as a compliment, shows that I got style. :p

See I have such a hard time with that! That's what people say, that it should flattering. But if I'm going to take time into something I do whether it's appearance based or even my disorders and people want to copy that I just find it annoying.

Ok here's another example. My step sister KNEW I wanted my lip pierced (this was years ago) and when I said my husband wouldn't like it she went and did it. And I have had my septum done for 3 year as well as my purple hair and like 6 months ago she got hers done and tried to get her hair purple.

Ok here's another example. My step sister KNEW I wanted my lip pierced (this was years ago) and when I said my husband wouldn't like it she went and did it. And I have had my septum done for 3 year as well as my purple hair and like 6 months ago she got hers done and tried to get her hair purple.

Well, I suppose you could always hint by asking them if they've ever seen the film, "Single White Female".

It wasn't very complimentary of a copy-cat. ;)

But seriously, yeah. Take it as a compliment if you're a real trend-setter. Reminds me of how many interests I picked up from my older brother. He took it as a compliment too...

Last edited:
Well, I suppose you could always hint by asking them if they've ever seen the film, "Single White Female".

It wasn't very complimentary of a copy-cat. ;)

But seriously, yeah. Take it as a compliment if you're a real trend-setter. Reminds me of how many interests I picked up from my older brother. He took it as a compliment too...

That would be quite the personality tweak if I could take it as a compliment lol. I like being myself and when people try to do the things I do it takes away from me just being me, it makes us like "twinsies" which I can't stand.

That would be quite the personality tweak if I could take it as a compliment lol. I like being myself and when people try to do the things I do it takes away from me just being me, it makes us like "twinsies" which I can't stand.

In a world of billions of people, is it reasonable to assume you have the capability of being unique in any and all things? Or perhaps more importantly, is it reasonable to pursue it?

I have intolerance for the positioning of objects relative to one another. However it's something I work on to keep within the scope of my own environment and not anyone elses. You won't see me rearranging people's furniture, or the direction of toilet paper hanging on a roller in their bathroom.

In our world, some things have an "off" switch and some don't. It's just a matter of exploring the possibilities...if they in fact exist.

Last edited:
In a world of billions of people, is it reasonable to assume you have the capability of being unique in any and all things? Or perhaps more importantly, is it reasonable to pursue it?

That's what I mean but in a world with so many people I find it hard to be unique because everyone can look the same. So when I decided to step out of that box it was to purposely not look like anyone I know. So to have people go and do the same thing irks me because it take away from the fact that I DON'T want to look like them. Come up with something yourself you know. I even do my own hair color! And have done all colors of the rainbow but purple sticks the longest. Out of all colors she chose purple and that's the same with the other girl I mentioned.

And on top of that when Aspergers was brought my mom was like, "nope, no way they're just trying to label him (my son) he doesn't have that." But the more I told her about how much he and I have the characteristics she now thinks half the family does and says when "we" do something Aspie-like rather than just "you or he". Like we couldn't just have a fricken disorder without it being taken as something the family has when it's not something you just throw around as if you can say oh yeah he has it she has it I have it etc. A counselor told us to get checked and a psych diagnosed my son. So it seems like it takes the seriousness away from it and she tends to do that.

Anyway it's just extremely frustrating.

That's what I mean but in a world with so many people I find it hard to be unique because everyone can look the same.

Well, from the perspective of a control issue I can relate. Not having control is frustrating. I get that. But then I also can rationalize that in a world of so many, that particular bias might be completely and forever outside my control.

So I attempt to mitigate my own frustration accordingly. It's just a suggestion. Of course as I said, some things we can accomplish, and others we can't. There's no uniformity or standardization to any of it...

Well, from the perspective of a control issue I can relate. Not having control is frustrating. I get that. But then I also can rationalize that in a world of so many, that particular bias might be completely and forever outside my control.

So I attempt to mitigate my own frustration accordingly. It's just a suggestion. Of course as I said, some things we can accomplish, and others we can't. There's no uniformity or standardization to any of it...

This sounds horrible but I have to say that my hair is cooler and my piercings looks 100x better so at least there is that it terms of who accomplished what better lol not that it matters ;)

The illness thing really bothers me. If someone has an illness you don't say oh I think I have that too just because you've read about it or have some of the traits. I find that rude and like I said if someone has seen a doc for it and someone else hasn't but just says they have it or diagnose themselves because they can relate to someone who has it, I just don't understand that.

The illness thing really bothers me. If someone has an illness you don't say oh I think I have that too just because you've read about it or have some of the traits. I find that rude and like I said if someone has seen a doc for it and someone else hasn't but just says they have it or diagnose themselves because they can relate to someone who has it, I just don't understand that.

Depends on what you mean by "relate to", and what they have actually done in pursuing a self-diagnosis. I take much stock in the experience of many here who thought they had it and eventually got a formal diagnosis to confirm their suspicions. But objectively, the only way to confirm such a thing technically is a formal diagnosis. Of course I don't see either side in an armed camp over it...certainly not here at least.

The thing I cannot understand would be someone feigning ASD like it was some kind of accessory. That just boggles my mind....but luckily it's not something I've heard about often.

The one loved one I confided my suspected autism to works in the health insurance industry. Somehow I expected a more sympathetic and knowledgeable uptake. Instead I got a similar rationalization that such traits are nothing other people don't experience. I tried to tell her," Yes, but Neurotypicals don't experience most or all such traits across a broad spectrum". It just didn't register to her either. Such prejudices alienate me from consideration of a formal diagnosis. Too bad, it shouldn't have to come to that.

Last edited:
I don't care if someone copies my look. However, if I develop a good idea, shortcut, or strategy and other people emulate me, I really want to be credited with the accomplishment.

Well, I have a problem about that. This Black Cat is ALWAYS terrified what people think for some reason, but when somebody steals my novel?! World War 3 Is about to start...

Depends on what you mean by "relate to", and what they have actually done in pursuing a self-diagnosis. I take much stock in the experience of many here who thought they had it and eventually got a formal diagnosis to confirm their suspicions. But objectively, the only way to confirm such a thing technically is a formal diagnosis. Of course I don't see either side in an armed camp over it...certainly not here at least.

The thing I cannot understand would be someone feigning ASD like it was some kind of accessory. That just boggles my mind....but luckily it's not something I've heard about often.

The one loved one I confided my suspected autism to works in the health insurance industry. Somehow I expected a more sympathetic and knowledgeable uptake. Instead I got a similar rationalization that such traits are nothing other people don't experience. I tried to tell her," Yes, but Neurotypicals don't experience most or all such traits across a broad spectrum". It just didn't register to her either. Such prejudices alienate me from consideration of a formal diagnosis. Too bad, it shouldn't have to come to that.

By relate to I just mean they have a few characteristics and assume because they do then they must have it but I don't mean relating to it A LOT. I relate to it a ton and don't say I have it until maybe I get diagnosed but when people think oh you think you might have this disorder or you do have this disorder well I do some of those things so I just have it too. That's annoying.

Well, I have a problem about that. This Black Cat is ALWAYS terrified what people think for some reason, but when somebody steals my novel?! World War 3 Is about to start...

I care a lot about what people think too and maybe that's where part if it comes from. I don't want people to think I am just some everyday person because I am not and even though I hate being the center of attention I do like to stand out from the crowd. If I'm going to be around other people like me I want it to be because they did their own thing before I met them, not like oh you did that and I think it's cool so I'm going to do it too and we BOTH can look like that/have that disorder/like the exact same things. It just takes away from the hard work of being myself and I don't want people thinking I copied that person or that I approve of, like I said, being "twinsies" with someone.

I don't care if someone copies my look. However, if I develop a good idea, shortcut, or strategy and other people emulate me, I really want to be credited with the accomplishment.

I can totally understand that. I dealt with that same thing in school or work, when my project idea was jacked from me or someone else took the credit because they were the team leader but it was MY idea. Ugh!

I am right there with you, girl! I have always hated it. In middle school I had a friend who it seemed like copied everything that I did. Like when I got a new phone, she got the same one. When I got a new purse, she got it too. I just like being completely different from everyone and if someone tries to copy me, my individuality feels threatened.

New Threads

Top Bottom