• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you get depressed when you don't have a special interest?

I've had the same special interests since I was a kid, basically, and I am not sure what it would be like to not have interests.

Reading through these, glad I didn't read them earlier today. I don't admit easily to being down. We've just had a lot going on. But I went to the bookstore & bought a number of books from which I may find good supplemental reading material for a course I am designing. It was the first time in a couple of days I felt excited about anything. I miss my work. And I miss sharing what I'm working on with peers and colleagues. And I miss working on a professinal project with them. I am living right now without a special interest and home life is too upsetting to get into anything for any length of time (and a little too touchy for me to be saying 'please stop interrupting me').

I know I answered this thread earlier, but time gives perspective & so I'm standing by the assertion that loss of the ability to pursue a special interest leads to depression but want to add to it that being depressed prevents finding the routine for something to replace what can no longer be done. However, I was encouraged a tiny bit tonight in considering a new way to go forward. It involves a return to my writing. It's not a long-term solution but it may distract me sufficiently from the present chaos to reintroduce a certain level of stability back into my life, which would mean that my happiness is activity-dependent rather than my activities being happiness-dependent, which is what I think the OP was trying to determine. My concern is, I've learned not to live in that headspace and, when I write full-time (outside of the real-world job), I end up living there full-time. It's not exactly the healthiest place to be. (Neither is spending the day watching the windows brighten and then dim again.) But if I do this, then I am committing to certain end goals that must be achieved. It's the only way I see where I can legitimatize re-occupying headspace that I once learned to live outside of. Besides, it's possible I might be able to put some of this ennui to work for me in it. (I am so mercenary of this present mental state.)

For me, it’s more like depression is my base state, and obsessions can temporarily overpower it. I have ongoing themes, but I tend to become hyperfixated on much more specific things. I have stretches where nothing really holds my interest and I end up spending most of my time playing mindless games on my iPad just as something to do. I look around in my usual areas of interest and have to just wait until something sticks, or I might latch onto something completely random. Sometimes I’m satisfied with something more broad, others the depression is too strong for that. It really feels like when I light on something specific, it lifts me out of my usual hole in the ground. When it starts to fade, back down I go.

Not being interested in anything is a sign of depression. I don't look for interests particularly, they find me. They just happen, usually with some kind of random trigger.
Same with me. Although my oldest special interests (electronics, radio, and physics) have never faded.

From the ages of 11 to 24 I had obsessions with certain people but I'd spend my whole time worrying that they were going to disappear and I wouldn't have anyone to be obsessed with. I could only be obsessed if the people somehow existed in my life even though they weren't exactly friends of mine.
For example if I got an obsession with a school teacher I would panic in case they'd leave, and I needed the teacher to be present in my life in some way otherwise the obsession would die out and I was afraid of that happening. I don't know why I needed obsessions like that but I did.

But since I met my husband at 24 I haven't really been obsessed with anyone any more and haven't felt the need for it. I don't feel depressed though. I feel free lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom