• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Feel Like An Alien?

Meh... I don't even have some kind of connection with animals. It's not that I hate them, but I just don't really like animals in general either. To me, it's probably along the same lines of why I feel I'm being alienated by people in a way... animals don't talk back either, and that's what to me kinda helps in being less alienated, having decent convo's. Connecting through language... but that might just as well be just me.

I WISH I could connect with people through language but I feel more often than not, they look at me like "...what?" Or they politely dismiss me with "Oh...interesting..." and go back to their conversational topic of choice.

One of the newer episodes of Family Guy oddly enough hit home with how I'm viewed - when Brian And Stewie travel back to an earlier episode and they see Stewie through the window going ballistic with huge words at Lois.
Brian: Jeez, what did you carry a Thesaurus around with you?

My boyfriend immediately pointed it out lol I actually do have a habit of making index cards from the Thesaurus and studying them.

That's probably why in my current situation I'm having regular contact with 2 people in my life (and some folks from AC and such on skype, but that's not on a daily basis) And those are pretty much on the same boat as me. Either autistic or somewhere very near that spectrum. I only engage in conversations with them about topics I know they, as well as me, actually care for... that's the reason for them being in my life (and vice versa)

Thus, people that dismiss my conversation as "Oh... interesting" in general don't care for it... I kinda get it, and it's one of the reasons, that while I still live with my mom & dad, I exchange aprox. 10 words a day with them. It goes a bit with mutual disinterest. They don't care for my social connection in a weird way, and I don't care for theirs. I kinda feel it's not even family I'm living with... more because I just need place to live and they're not sticking their noses in my business.

I always feel like the odd man out, there could be a person with fluorescent skin and red glowing eyes in the same room with me and a bunch of other people but i'll still feel like the outsider.

It's quite anxiety-inducing, to be the alien.
Especially when you're in a house full of very normal people who laugh and talk and do things un-planned, speak about things simply for the sake of speaking.

That to me isn't even that I can't do it... the "laugh" and "speak for the sake of speaking"... it doesn't add up in my mind. Yes, I'll talk to such people and tell them to shut the F up because there is no point in talking about the stuff. Probably I'm a bit more "agressive" in making my point clear about how I feel about action X or Y. But most of the time, I'm sleeping during the day anyway, I'll get up at night, my parents are usually halfway sleeping in front of the tv, so I don't get bothered by it that much. But that's just the home situation.

But, to be honest... I've recently met up with a girl and I did feel more connected with her. Having a conversation with her didn't feel as "weird" as I usually does, though I think I might chip in the fact that we have a lot of shared interests, which is something I can't say for most people I talk to. And that doesn't even include my parents.

I'm aggressive about it as well. I don't give a crap about the crap they talk about and I don't have the empathetic capacity to care if I make the other person feel awkward.

Well... the last time I had an argument with people talking I was like; "well you're not polite, because I actually think you should talk about something that is of interest of all of us"... that kinda shut some people up. Sure, if you do not have any common interests, then you don't belong to be around them (at least for social interaction), but then I don't even care that I'm "weird" or "alien"... I'm probably not missing out on anything.

Yes i do feel like an alien. I cannot rationalise people's actions i.e. gossiping, idolizing, gambling etc... I also cannot seems to blend in with friends' pursuit for status, glamor, brands and etc... Dont understand how they can perform with substandard expectations. Many NTs just use their mouth to inflate their work and life expectations. Oh yes, many are excellent in preaching things with total conviction without meaning it at all. It is close to impossible to understand how NT function. I have alot of difficulties blending in with people. Sometimes, I think that they are aliens instead of me.

And one more thing, I see I'm still the last poster. Lately I feel more and more alienated. But it's always been pretty much ...should I say logical... The more open I am the more alienated I feel, the more superficial the less alienated I feel, isn't it weird? :) not sure if I want to think of it, no sure if I care enough to figure it out... That's just the way it is, I have an unusual mind, something I've always treasured and never dreamed of giving up, feeling alienated comes with the prize, so to speak :) Yeah...

I've become more and more aware lately of how alien I feel, especially when I'm forced to be social.
Guess what? I don't care about your nephews first birthday nor does he, as he won't remember it.
Guess what else? I don't care to sit at a table full of people for religious reasons every Friday night.
Know why? IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

I'd say I feel more like an intelligent animal, able to understand a lot of it if I think about it but unable to communicate with them.

I've become more and more aware lately of how alien I feel, especially when I'm forced to be social.
Guess what? I don't care about your nephews first birthday nor does he, as he won't remember it.
Guess what else? I don't care to sit at a table full of people for religious reasons every Friday night.
Know why? IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

I could not have said it better myself.

I've always, always felt somewhat alien to everyone else. My entire life, I've felt like i have to act, to pretend I'm human and can behave just like everyone else.

I felt like an alien throughout my childhood years. Now though, I have learned to adapt, blend in with everyone else and picked up a few social skills along the way to help me. I don't feel much of an alien anymore (a bit strong of a word) but I do still feel like an outsider.

I felt like an alien throughout my childhood years. Now though, I have learned to adapt, blend in with everyone else and picked up a few social skills along the way to help me. I don't feel much of an alien anymore (a bit strong of a word) but I do still feel like an outsider.
That's exactly it. I have always felt like an outsider. Like standing on the outside, looking in. I often don't understand what I am observing (and often don't much care, either), but what I have come to understand recently is that I am still a part of the scenario whether I like it or not. I have also learned to adapt, appear to function well, and have even managed to find a partner who loves me just as I am, mostly : ).

New Threads

Top Bottom