• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you consider your Asperger's a blessing, curse or indifferent.

How do you view your Asperger's

• Blessing

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Curse

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • Sometimes blessing, sometimes curse

Votes: 57 57.6%
  • None of these apply

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
The world is flawed but there are ways to better yourself instead of blaming all of society. What do you want everyone to sit there and watch you have a meltdown or let you go on and on about some random subject or bend over backwards to make the world "Autistic compatible"
What? I see that you completely misses the point once again, just to project your regurgitated speech about "blaming society". I never said i put my alleged autism in a special place in this matter, you just brought that up probably because that's your default argument agains't the self-aclaimed autistic people that you usually talk to.

What "autistic compatible" would even be? More imposed culture? The exactly thing i was criticizing? Can't you see how that's nonsensical in this context? Reading comprehension is important. I even speciafily said how *culture* isn't exactly to blame as well, but why would you pay any attention, right? You gotta be self-righteous; you have being conditioned for it, so it's not your fault.

I have no time for this, and i believe that's also true in your case. Let's not pollute this thread with petty misunderstandments. But, if you want to understand my initial point, just aks yourself this: Why don't hunter-gatherers need antidepressants?

What? I see that you completely misses the point once again, just to project your regurgitated speech about "blaming society". I never said i put my alleged autism in a special place in this matter, you just brought that up probably because that's your default argument agains't the self-aclaimed autistic people that you usually talk to.

What "autistic compatible" would even be? More imposed culture? The exactly thing i was criticizing? Can't you see how that's nonsensical in this context? Reading comprehension is important. I even speciafily said how *culture* isn't exactly to blame as well, but why would you pay any attention, right? You gotta be self-righteous; you have being conditioned for it, so it's not your fault.

I have no time for this, and i believe that's also true in your case. Let's not pollute this thread with petty misunderstandments. But, if you want to understand my initial point, just aks yourself this: Why don't hunter-gatherers need antidepressants?

.....Okay I'm sorry but can you elaborate a little more ? if you don't want to explain than what's the point of posting in this forum ?

To answer your question if people in hunter gatherer times had depression in the way we think of it (like a chemical imbalance) they would die and only leave the people without it. Heightened anxiety and depressive episodes are going to lead one to get eaten or killed I'm sure in modern isolated cultures if someone was born with some kid of mutation that showed signs of depression there not going to last long or reproduce witch is why its so less common.

.....Okay I'm sorry but can you elaborate a little more ? if you don't want to explain than what's the point of posting in this forum ?

To answer your question if people in hunter gatherer times had depression in the way we think of it (like a chemical imbalance) they would die and only leave the people without it. Heightened anxiety and depressive episodes are going to lead one to get eaten or killed I'm sure in modern isolated cultures if someone was born with some kid of mutation that showed signs of depression there not going to last long or reproduce witch is why its so less common.
What is "chemical imbalance" even supposed to mean? Could you be a littler more specific? And maybe less ahistorical/arbitrary? I swear, a psychiatrist could take a perfectly fine chimpanzee away from its jungle, confine it in captivity, and when the chimp gets depressed, they would say, "This chimpanzee has a chemical imbalance. What? A direct correlation between enculturation and depression? But culture brings us meaning and beauty. Get out of my way, cavemanwannabe. I need to prescribe this chimp some Xanax".

So long before i got diagnosed with aspergers. I knew something was different. As far back as five years old i knew. Ill try to describe it. I was floating in my mind. With this otherness there with me. It was a part of me. That much i knew. But also different from me. A piece of my mind i couldn't control or acess. I didnt care it was a friend. A part of me. Together we traveled to new worlds. Fought bad guys. Lead our xwing into tie fighter swarms. Battled the sith as a jedi. It helped me see and experience these things. But it was never something i could explain to others. It was difficult enough to understand it myself. To unravel its mysterious. I learned much or thought i did. Its still a part of me now. I existed as a part of me for so long. Before i finally found out its name.

Hello all. I am new to your forum. I was diagnosed with Asperger's about 3 years ago. I had about a 17 year job history where I was technically proficient but lost job after job due to either meltdowns or poor social interactions. After my diagnosis, through research and practice I was able to change a lot of behaviors that got me into trouble and improve my social skills.

Here's the thing. I look at this as a curse. It's not an unmanageable one . It's not overwhelming like it was in the past but it's still a negative in my eyes. I view it like I lost a hand at birth. A definite disadvantage but can be overcome with planning and effort. Maybe that will change but that's how I view it now.

I feel I live in a world that was built around people not like myself. I find myself at a disadvantage at social communication others take for granted. I wish I was born differently but accept the cards I was dealt.

I was on an unrelated forum and two people stated they'd never heard of a person with ASD who considered their syndrome a curse. Am I the only one? How do you see it?
see people who are not autistic as the curse.

REMINDER
This is a support forum, and as such tolerate no bashing, even in a general way,
of any neurology, gender, nationality, religion, etc.

and their oppression of those who are tells the entire story !
Its too simple to say my Aspergers is a curse some of it for some people it is very good , sadly I keep reading reports of NTs being abusive or violent to autistic people !so I cant change my view that I think Aspergers is beneficial

There is a lot of mistreatment of people by many *groups* of people.

I stumble along, female, fellow aspie, spirtual being, all rolled up into a walking contradiction. It's assumed because l am female l am looking for someone to take care of me -Not! Because l am on the spectrum, l look like a easy pushover-Not , because l have empathy, l am seen as overly emotional-Not (well maybe sometimes).

Sometimes to me is a curse and other times is neutral just having an degree of a thing that don't even have done anything with and knowing a lot of things but nothing that can make yourself live or even make from that a life and live from it just cause me frustration besides that some people treat me different and although they don't realize that I notice I really notice what are they trying to say with their actions, also I have studied around 3 to 4 different things but all I leave it because always fail in a class or thing so just is so frustrating.

The only thing that could say that I made a very good friend that helped me to know that I had autism spectrum and although we are 6000 miles area we been together by over 14 years.

I'm with the majority of advocates in thinking that rather than autism awareness events we should be promoting autism acceptance.

Autistic Pride is something separate which, for now at least, is something the world outside our community isn't ready for yet IMO.

Regarding "autism acceptance", it means for the society/NT to accept autistic people, right? How about the opposite, does autistic people accept other people (NT, society, etc) as well?

Regarding "autism acceptance", it means for the society/NT to accept autistic people, right? How about the opposite, does autistic people accept other people (NT, society, etc) as well?

Speaking for myself and the many other active advocates with whom I have discussed variants of this question, the "acceptance" we strive for has never been one sided. "Equality" is the concept at the centre of all our efforts.
Autistic people are already forced to accept majority culture and fit in with it as much as we are capable by masking. Accepting that the majority think and process differently than us is not a choice, it's a necessity of survival. The intention of advocates is to shift that one-sided situation towards a more balanced one wherein the majority understand that their behaviour and communication towards us could be better too, rather than pushing us out of the conversation because we don't "fit in" with their expectations.
I always talk about "meeting halfway" which entails compromise on BOTH sides. At the moment the autistic side of the communication equation is usually doing all the bending to accommodate the customs and communication preferences of the NT majority. Acceptance would comprise of the other side bending as well so that we find common ground in which we could all communicate and prosper together far more effectively.
"Awareness" is just knowing we exist. People now know that there are autistic people all around them. They have a little basic knowledge of what autism might be, but that knowledge is incomplete, often prejudicial and tainted by the multi-billion dollar cure/therapy industry to whom we are nothing but a resource to exploit.
Acceptance entails a process of enhancing awareness to a level where autistic experiences, understanding and opinions about our lives and futures are valued as much, if not more than those of non-autistic observers. Doing so will enable us to put that awareness to use so that we all work together on as equal a footing as possible.

There is no doubt that just like there are NT dogmatists who want things all their own way, there are also autistics who don't believe they should have to accommodate the quirks of the neural majority too. They are the supremacists, separatists and the cure-fetishists who do little more than attempt to tear down the bridges others are building.
Social change is slow and may not demonstrate it's full benefit until future generations. Those who have little patience or who care more for their own needs than others may seek more radical paths. Thankfully such people are a minority though like all dogmatists and bigots, they sometimes shout very loud.

Anyone else here think that their ASD really messes with their life and wishes it was gone but doesn't think a cure is possible and does not want to join movements that search for one?

I can't help but feel a little alone with this stance since I haven't heard anyone else say something like this.

Last edited:
Hello all. I am new to your forum. I was diagnosed with Asperger's about 3 years ago. I had about a 17 year job history where I was technically proficient but lost job after job due to either meltdowns or poor social interactions. After my diagnosis, through research and practice I was able to change a lot of behaviors that got me into trouble and improve my social skills.

Here's the thing. I look at this as a curse. It's not an unmanageable one . It's not overwhelming like it was in the past but it's still a negative in my eyes. I view it like I lost a hand at birth. A definite disadvantage but can be overcome with planning and effort. Maybe that will change but that's how I view it now.

I feel I live in a world that was built around people not like myself. I find myself at a disadvantage at social communication others take for granted. I wish I was born differently but accept the cards I was dealt.

I was on an unrelated forum and two people stated they'd never heard of a person with ASD who considered their syndrome a curse. Am I the only one? How do you see it?

I definitely look at mine as both. There are days when I feel cursed and alone and frustrated, but honestly I remind myself that what we have makes us special and we see the world different than other people and it makes us unique

Anyone else here think that their ASD really messes with their life and wishes it was gone but doesn't think a cure is possible and does not want to join movements that search for me?

There's a significant number who feel that way & I meet them every day online. Those of us who are engaged in the act of trying to change things are working hard for those who feel just like you do. If the world is better educated to meet us halfway, the lives of yourself and everyone who feels like you will be measurably better. Not perfect but better.

There's a significant number who feel that way & I meet them every day online.
Lol lead me to wherever those people are.

It feels so black and white sometimes. It's either you think that autism isn't an a disorder and an amazing thing and you hate the idea of a cure or you think it's a curse and would drink bleach if you thought it would cure you.

I feel like the only person on the middle ground and it's frustrating.

New Threads

Top Bottom