1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Do you consider your Asperger's a blessing, curse or indifferent.

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by DocBee, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Blessing

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Curse

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Neutral

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Sometimes blessing, sometimes curse

51 vote(s)
    61.4%
  5. None of these apply

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. Kayn-Ishmael

Kayn-Ishmael The Purifier

What? I see that you completely misses the point once again, just to project your regurgitated speech about "blaming society". I never said i put my alleged autism in a special place in this matter, you just brought that up probably because that's your default argument agains't the self-aclaimed autistic people that you usually talk to.

What "autistic compatible" would even be? More imposed culture? The exactly thing i was criticizing? Can't you see how that's nonsensical in this context? Reading comprehension is important. I even speciafily said how *culture* isn't exactly to blame as well, but why would you pay any attention, right? You gotta be self-righteous; you have being conditioned for it, so it's not your fault.

I have no time for this, and i believe that's also true in your case. Let's not pollute this thread with petty misunderstandments. But, if you want to understand my initial point, just aks yourself this: Why don't hunter-gatherers need antidepressants?

2. Derp

Derp Member

.....Okay I'm sorry but can you elaborate a little more ? if you don't want to explain than what's the point of posting in this forum ?

To answer your question if people in hunter gatherer times had depression in the way we think of it (like a chemical imbalance) they would die and only leave the people without it. Heightened anxiety and depressive episodes are going to lead one to get eaten or killed I'm sure in modern isolated cultures if someone was born with some kid of mutation that showed signs of depression there not going to last long or reproduce witch is why its so less common.

3. Kayn-Ishmael

Kayn-Ishmael The Purifier

What is "chemical imbalance" even supposed to mean? Could you be a littler more specific? And maybe less ahistorical/arbitrary? I swear, a psychiatrist could take a perfectly fine chimpanzee away from its jungle, confine it in captivity, and when the chimp gets depressed, they would say, "This chimpanzee has a chemical imbalance. What? A direct correlation between enculturation and depression? But culture brings us meaning and beauty. Get out of my way, cavemanwannabe. I need to prescribe this chimp some Xanax".

4. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

So long before i got diagnosed with aspergers. I knew something was different. As far back as five years old i knew. Ill try to describe it. I was floating in my mind. With this otherness there with me. It was a part of me. That much i knew. But also different from me. A piece of my mind i couldn't control or acess. I didnt care it was a friend. A part of me. Together we traveled to new worlds. Fought bad guys. Lead our xwing into tie fighter swarms. Battled the sith as a jedi. It helped me see and experience these things. But it was never something i could explain to others. It was difficult enough to understand it myself. To unravel its mysterious. I learned much or thought i did. Its still a part of me now. I existed as a part of me for so long. Before i finally found out its name.

• Like Like x 1