• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in a supreme being?

• Total voters
Evar, what sort of books do you read? Or do you look this stuff up? Have you studied philosophy or is it an area of special interest? I am about as much of a philosopher as Hawking, so I won't even try to talk philosophy at the same level as you do.

I had to look up Epistemology. First time you've stumped me with a word that I didn't know. :showoff:

Aha ^_^ , when I was a kid... I used to read all sorts of books, especially on zoology, biology, psychology, mathematics, physics, astronomy, religion, anthropology, culture (this was fun, since, like you, I've had the chance to see more than half the world myself, including the countries you've mentioned), and what not... and also romantic and tragic novels. But those were mostly just elementary books at the school library.

Most of my recollections of recorded historic events and stuff were acquired during that period. If I seem to remember details rather fiercely, that's pretty much what Asperger's does to me :angry:, besides a string of other pests such as bipolar disorder and OCD. I don't need to look things up in their sources anymore. I almost never have to do that. My memory bank greatly pains me already (there are a few things I don't want to know (or I want to stop knowing), but it's too late for that) :huh:.

Then I stopped reading books like about 7 years ago, because I was occupied with my own original ideas and all, and I did not want those books/authors to meddle with my independence and authenticity. I lived in multi-layered seclusion.

Nowadays, I sometimes read books again, but I don't take them 'seriously' anymore. I don't have to understand them. When there's a book before me, I refuse to read it progressively, just going through it by flipping the pages fast (like a mindless scanner) or reading the pages randomly, and that's that. It's purely recreational, like toilet reading. If you catch me speaking a little too much of philosophy (epistemology), don't take it seriously :lol: , since I can do it while idle.

Apart from all that, I do mathematics and theoretical physics at the University, or to be more specific, I do research on quantum gravity.

Trust me, there are other more brilliant physicists than just Hawking, but they are not so popular or simply refuse to be popular. They are really in love with science, they're married to what they do and spend so little time 'being promiscuous outdoors'. We have a mathematician colleague (also an Aspie, with some Bohemian traits) who refused to receive the Fields Medal (the equivalent of Nobel Prize in mathematics), laughing at it as just socially alienating luxury (he believes those people (both his fellow mathematicians and lay people) don't understand his work at all). My fellow Swede, Hannes Alfven, who did profound work on electrodynamics (magnetohydrodynamics) and its immediate application to the cosmos (giving birth to Plasma Cosmology), was mostly ignored by the Baron of the Elite (for his theory, like Hoyle's, was a pricking rival to the Big Bang Theory, especially on vast cosmological scales), though he did get the Prize he deserved (without him wanting it) at an idle, old age. (Don't read the Wikipedia account on this or that, it can be so very biased.)

The French existentialist Sartre also refused to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature, back in the 1970s, I think. And yet, there are people who seem to want that Prize by being nice and chatty with the media (I forgot if Hawking might be among them). We need more independent people who are more than just puppets of thriving mediocrity and post-modernism... bold minds like you ^_^.

I'm occasionally bored with routines, and, like I said earlier, my being here is mostly when I am not in the mood to work (think) at all. So thank you for being here, like this, and really listening to the idle me :).

Evar, what sort of books do you read? Or do you look this stuff up? Have you studied philosophy or is it an area of special interest? I am about as much of a philosopher as Hawking, so I won't even try to talk philosophy at the same level as you do.

I had to look up Epistemology. First time you've stumped me with a word that I didn't know. :showoff:

I was watching TV a couple of years ago and I saw an interview with "Professor Christopher Tinney". He looked familiar. Turns out it was the same guy who was a friend of mine in high school. He has become one of the world's leading authorities in the search for planets orbiting other stars, and he has held some high profile positions.

I guess that if I had known myself a little better when I was younger then I could have channelled my efforts into trying to achieve something meaningful. Quantum gravity sounds interesting. Do you think they will find anything interesting now that the LHC is being powered up again?

Hawking's great achievement was bringing the big ideas of physics to the masses. That is not something to be sneezed at.

The LHC and the rather severely isolated and theoretical quantum gravity are quite separate.

Someone doing quantum gravity just needs a rather unusual intellect, a pen, and many pieces of paper. Particle physicists need the LHC, especially the more experimental ones, but some others don't even need to know about it :lol:. Most physicists today are into experiment, and Nobel Prizes are won for observations and experiments (ready for industry), which is rather boring, not for theories (not even for Einstein's General Relativity in Einstein's time).

"Hawking's great achievement was bringing the big ideas of physics to the masses. That is not something to be sneezed at."

It's true, and that's nothing to be sneezed at in itself. But, if you understand the sociology of science correctly (the way Thomas Kuhn sees it), in this post-modern age, you'll see the triangulation of science, government, and industry (including media and, of course, politics). What the masses know, mostly just because what the authorities want them to know, does help create a dominant, if not the ONLY, paradigm, at the expense of 'other versions of Reality'.

Together, we shape our world this way (like cybernetically), but that doesn't mean the objective Truth is always presented as pure science wants it. For example, kids go around shouting "black holes" while, rigorously thinking, black holes have never been observed (only inferred). Even Einstein never accepted black holes as actually permitted by his General Relativity. Not that black holes don't or can't actually exist, but influencing the public to that extent (where beliefs are taken as Reality) is what is worrying. Kids are not that critical anymore, despite a lot of scientific influxes available to them nowadays.

People like Alfven have truly suffered in such circumstances, even doing research without funding at all (can you imagine this for a scientist? There have been great recent minds forced to commit suicide even, this way). To be fair, if the media are seriously involved, they'll have to laud not only favored paradigms (based on that interdependent triangular consensus) but also adequately inform the public about other profound scientific efforts, or the scientific competition among them.

There's serious crisis here, among scientists, that separates the authentically profound from the mere employees of the profession. It wasn't exactly like this in Einstein's time. The political industrialization of science at such a level started some time after WW2.

It's significant to read Derrida in our time. He pretty much has the analyses of Kuhn and Michel Foucault in himself.

I was watching TV a couple of years ago and I saw an interview with "Professor Christopher Tinney". He looked familiar. Turns out it was the same guy who was a friend of mine in high school. He has become one of the world's leading authorities in the search for planets orbiting other stars, and he has held some high profile positions.

I guess that if I had known myself a little better when I was younger then I could have channelled my efforts into trying to achieve something meaningful. Quantum gravity sounds interesting. Do you think they will find anything interesting now that the LHC is being powered up again?

Hawking's great achievement was bringing the big ideas of physics to the masses. That is not something to be sneezed at.

I don't see how I could be made from nothing.So yes I believe in a God. This forum is about God not religion! Besides no religion preaches bad. Its the people that label their own desires with religion thats the problem.

.....I don't believe in God or Allah or any sort kind of god in any matter....i do believe something is out there, but i don't believe in a god...
innocent.gif
oh and mind you that i am not religious....

LOL ok, but it doesn't take an Aspie or a Kazantzakis to say, "And oh mind you, I'm not religious." But, ehm, well ok, ok. OK :)

.....I don't believe in God or Allah or any sort kind of god in any matter....i do believe something is out there, but i don't believe in a god...
innocent.gif
oh and mind you that i am not religious....

IMO Christians were very uncreative with their names...
Bible(latin origin:book), God, disciple(latin origin:follower), etc.
At least Islam tried.
IDK, maybe they just did the same but with Arabian(that's a language right :D?) origins.
EMZ=]

Arabic is not a language, it is a flow of tones..... i hear it all day on my work and on the street
shiftyninja.gif
like something like harassandindjemek.....
whistle.gif
ow oops.... i write it in the way i hear it lolz
laugh.gif

LOL ok, but it doesn't take an Aspie or a Kazantzakis to say, "And oh mind you, I'm not religious." But, ehm, well ok, ok. OK :)

Yeah well Evar, people have always trying to push me here in Holland
dry.gif
People on the street like the moroccans where always saying like YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE or YOU NEED A RELIGION or WITHOUT RELIGION YOU CANNOT LIVE
dry.gif

how lame..... I always have something like you know what i believe? I believe....in myself..... they don't like the answer they get of off me....
mellow.gif
i wonder why
shifty.gif

Uhh, yes, I understand. Beliefs ("Believe, and you shall be saved!") are never what highly evolved organisms should rely on. The subtlest level of belief, if any, is the belief in inconsistency (as the only thing cosmically consistent with all beliefs).

As for something out there, it's interesting to note that the cosmos---silent, dark, sparse, occasionally electromagnetically windy---is like the human brain (when greatly magnified), with the synapses and neurons representing galaxies and galactic filaments.

Hmm, I bet there are a bunch of Mormons too down there. 'Holland' is a religion too right? Kidding ^_^. I was more referring to Ajax, Cruijff, and Litmanen. And Van Gogh (Don MacLean: "I wish I could have told you Vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.") I've been to Amsterdam a couple of times. And I spent like 2 weeks in Eindhoven, as a happy tramp around the fruit markets. Then I fled to Germany and went home. I shall return :).

Yeah well Evar, people have always trying to push me here in Holland
dry.gif
People on the street like the moroccans where always saying like YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE or YOU NEED A RELIGION or WITHOUT RELIGION YOU CANNOT LIVE
dry.gif

how lame..... I always have something like you know what i believe? I believe....in myself..... they don't like the answer they get of off me....
mellow.gif
i wonder why
shifty.gif

Arabic and Hebrew are 'psycho-genetic twins', like the Nabateans and the Israelites. But the scriptures, in their original languages, are quite another class. One must understand the (subtly hidden) root-voices, 'Adzkar', of the basic letters first (such as Kha, M, Ha, Qaf, Sh, D, Dh, Dz, 'Ayn, W) to fully appreciate them as 'easily mystical'. There are certain 'Prophetic numerical patterns' involved too. In this sense, the Arabic of the Koran (as opposed to the sociological Arabic) is even more mysterious and highly untranslatable into Occidental and (other) Oriental languages, that Goethe and Ivan Agueli instantly fell in love with it. That's partly why Muslims (like ultra-orthodox Jews) don't ever translate/distort the Koran (there are just explanations or pieces of exegesis ('tafsir') in a local language). It's not even of the East nor of the West. If one is not a native speaker, it takes a passionate, serious scholar to at least see it this way. Arabic poetry/ghazal (Arabic literature in general) can be just astounding if one understands it; the same with the derivative Persian and Urdu versions.

Arabic is not a language, it is a flow of tones..... i hear it all day on my work and on the street
shiftyninja.gif
like something like harassandindjemek.....
whistle.gif
ow oops.... i write it in the way i hear it lolz
laugh.gif

No I don't believe in any higher power or the paranormal. I used to believe in god in primary school because that's what we were taught but I changed my mind when I was 10.

I just made an interesting theory. Have you ever heard about a Greece philosopher named Epicurus? Not so famous as Socrates or Plato but he had very interesting theories about gods. He believed in gods but he also said that gods are not so powerful that they can create earth and all humans and they don`t want to affect on people`s lives and gods did`t tell how to live our lives and they did`t give us the morals we should obey.

This is my theory: I can`t prove to you that God does`t exist. But if He exists, its very likely He is like Epicurus said; He does`t give a ****. "What about Christianity?" Well, if God exists and does`t care what we do on this earth then he could`t have sent his only son Jesus here on earth like Bible says. Then what created Christianity? I say that we humans did. BUT! It could have also be Satan himself. "What? Why you say that!?!" Well, for example: Have you ever read the Bible? One of the Ten Commandments says "Thy Shall not Kill". If you have read Bible you can find a whole list of people we SHOULD kill. These people are for example gays, disobedient teenagers, girls who are not virgins when they get married and people who works on Sundays. Is`t that kinda contradictory that one of the Commandments says don`t kill but the Bible says kill? This is Satan`s trick. He tricked people. He had to make Christianity look as a god religion, because no one with common sense would join a religion that says "We support the right of killing anyone we want, inequality, injustice ans other bad things".

He made the Christians believe that they are serving God but in reality they are been tricked by Satan. And again, God does`t care. Same thing about Judaism and Islam. Satan just made them a bit different so they would have a reason to kill each other, go war against each other and make terrorist attacks to World Trade Center. I bet for anything that right now Satan is laughing at us saying: Humans sure are STUPID. And thats, unfortunately, true.

What ya think?

@Sipe
agreed! :wave:

Did it ever occur to anyone that god might be a little angry at us?
He hasnt talked to us in like ~2000 years....why? :blink:

f.

I used to be a deist for like a month and then went back to Atheism because I didn't see the point in deism. If there is a deity he's a complete sadistic asshole imo tbh.
EMZ=]

I used to be a deist for like a month and then went back to Atheism because I didn't see the point in deism. If there is a deity he's a complete sadistic asshole imo tbh.
EMZ=]

I take that as "I agree! Sipe, you are a genius!"

Well, thank you.

Ah no no no! Not at all! That was supposed to be manly a joke. But I also understood that as you agreed with me at least a little bit.
Yeah. I was saying that even if your theory is true(which seems to be deistic imo), I don't see the point in believing in someone who doesn't give a **** about any of us.
I can understand why he wouldn't give a ****, like when I had my ant farm I didn't give a **** because ant's are so inferior, but I also wouldn't give a **** if they even knew I existed...
Actually, interesting video I have about ant farms and god:
This took me like 10 minutes to dig up from my facebook page >_<. So watch it. LOL.(Jk, you don't have to).
EMZ=]

New Threads

Top Bottom