• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Believe In God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you familiar with Pascal's Wager? It's a nice example of consequence weighted risk management!

More seriously, there is very good description about the context, or the world view, that makes more sense of the conversation on the existence of God contained in John Frawley's book The Real Astrology. In the current sensible/physical-only/must-be-measurable world view, the question makes much less sense, but our current world view is not the only one, and great deal is lost, as I understand it, if the question is thought about only with pre-existing assumptions.

Imagine we are convinced that the world is flat - would we ever think of going West to the Spice Islands? Shouldn't the question about how to get to the Spice Islands cause us to question our understanding of Geography? That kind of idea.

Once again I don't mean this to be a personal attack to whom I have quoted. Just another ideas.

I agree that the Bible is not infallible. After all, it is a set of texts that people sat down and wrote. It deserves as much scrutiny as anything else. Actually, given its influence on the world, it probably deserves a lot more scrutiny.

That is an interesting point. Personally I haven't men anyone who says any god did wrote the bible. It's been wrote by people who then believed in god, and I can't see anything wrong with that. Of course we can discuss if it should or not be read as a rulebook or just as a memoir, alike book Napoleon's friend wrote about him. Funny thing about those heroic biographies is, that they're mostly written with drunkard admire and of course either those can't have much factual purpose other than as historical references.
Still, in my opinion anyone is free to learn and follow any teaching by their heart if they wish.

I find it interesting that so many thinks the only possible explanation for question of faith should be whether we can prove existence of something. Well, we can't prove that universe was created out of nothing either. The way we see cosmology is just a best hunch we've got, nothing more. Really high probability, but nothing certain. So probable, that it overrules any other theories, but still there's no guarantee. I'm not really sure how anything like that can be seen as a solid argument against anything. And yes, I strongly swear for scientific approach in everything, and am not trying to deny any conventional facts.

And as some people say "god is the universe" or that it's in the nature, it is the nature and every awe in physics. After all it's just about epistemology. We're arguing semantics in here. There's no point in that. What matters is how people choose to act based on their beliefs and intuitions. Whether they're willing to use their freedom of thought or just willing to claim everything without proving they can handle challenges and life itself. Asking whether someone believes might have nothing to do with if they're a good person and liked citizen or even prone to do good things.

Imho.

Btw, I'd like to ask a question from everyone that have read to this point: When you meet new person, do you automatically think them as neutral: atheistic or agnostic, or having somewhat similar belief as you have yourself - or something other?

I'll tend to default to thinking of the person as non-religious without really thinking about it up until they say or do something to indicate they are in fact religious.

Like politics , I choose not to discuss "whatever my paticular stance may or may not be" . The outcome is often pretty bad.

I'm using a browser without a spell checker. I apologize for errors.

Once again I don't mean this to be a personal attack to whom I have quoted. Just another ideas.

That is an interesting point. Personally I haven't men anyone who says any god did wrote the bible. It's been wrote by people who then believed in god, and I can't see anything wrong with that. Of course we can discuss if it should or not be read as a rulebook or just as a memoir, alike book Napoleon's friend wrote about him. Funny thing about those heroic biographies is, that they're mostly written with drunkard admire and of course either those can't have much factual purpose other than as historical references.
Still, in my opinion anyone is free to learn and follow any teaching by their heart if they wish.

I doubt anyone on this forum is like this, but during finals week, there were a few biblical literalists out doing their thing on campus. In California, this doesn't happen that much, but unfortunately, literal belief is incredibly rampant in America. I don't think it should be read as either a rulebook or a memoir. It contains a lot of factually incorrect and really implausible stuff, in both the rulebook part and in both the history part. The rulebook part also contains a lot of things that seem very arbitrary and hard to justify. I think that a reason based approach is the way to go in terms of making rules and dictating morality. An ancient text may have some cultural value, but it serves no practical purpose in modern society. It's actually pretty ****ing scary that Americans elect people who believe the bible literally and that influences their decisions in Congress.

I find it interesting that so many thinks the only possible explanation for question of faith should be whether we can prove existence of something. Well, we can't prove that universe was created out of nothing either. The way we see cosmology is just a best hunch we've got, nothing more. Really high probability, but nothing certain. So probable, that it overrules any other theories, but still there's no guarantee. I'm not really sure how anything like that can be seen as a solid argument against anything. And yes, I strongly swear for scientific approach in everything, and am not trying to deny any conventional facts.

Well, it's because current theories in cosmology are so well tested that they can be taken as fact and any future theories must explain old data. While in science, nothing can be 100% certain, what we have with cosmology is a very well supported theory that's pretty much universally accepted. Even more, we know where and why the theory doesn't work. In science, an incredibly well supported theory can be taken as rock solid fact and thus can be used as a solid argument for or against stuff.

Of course, you can point to certain things and say that we don't know how they work and I'm fine with that. Since in those things, nobody has a good explanation, there is no good reason to believe any, which is why I am an atheist. I'm drawn toward science because scientists can test their hypothesis. Religion simply does not have any reliable way of describing how the universe came into existence.

And as some people say "god is the universe" or that it's in the nature, it is the nature and every awe in physics. After all it's just about epistemology. We're arguing semantics in here. There's no point in that. What matters is how people choose to act based on their beliefs and intuitions. Whether they're willing to use their freedom of thought or just willing to claim everything without proving they can handle challenges and life itself. Asking whether someone believes might have nothing to do with if they're a good person and liked citizen or even prone to do good things.

Imho.

Well, the term 'god' is pretty much defined to how people see it convienent. I agree that what matters is how people act now what they believe. However, there is no belief above criticism.

Btw, I'd like to ask a question from everyone that have read to this point: When you meet new person, do you automatically think them as neutral: atheistic or agnostic, or having somewhat similar belief as you have yourself - or something other?

Usually neutral. I don't really care.

Most people in Brazil are Catholic, so...
But I don't think about that too much until I have to say something that is about religion. If that's the case, I assume that person is religious until I know, because I don't want to make any offensive comment.

Religious, purely because most people are, until they say otherwise of course.

yes I believe. Even if I don't practice as much as I should.

Around 23% of people around the world are non-religious. In the Asperger/HFA community, that number is probably higher. I would guess around 75% of Aspies are non-religious.

The reason for this might be because Aspies are more logic based and they may not comprehend religion.

Last edited:
I definitely believe there is a God as well as Heaven even though I don't practice any particular religion. I do wish to follow Judaism sometime soon though because I love some of the traditions involved in the Jewish faith (also helps that I'm half-Jewish).

It's interesting that you ask the question, "Do you believe in God?" and not "Do you believe in God(s)." Which says that you are coming from a mainly monotheistic Western Christian perspective. However, monotheism is not the only option out there. Polytheism has been around a lot longer and was at one time more widespread than monotheism.

We tend to forget that not everyone subscribes to the Judeo-Christian-Islamic concept of one god, yet most of the arguments for atheism assume that the person reading these arguments comes from that background. The religious scene is much more diverse than that. If you are a Hindu, the question "Do you believe in God" takes on a whole different dimension than if you ask someone who may be Christian or Jewish or Muslim.

So perhaps a better place to start is by defining what it is that you have in mind when you say "God" (whether you believe in such a concept or not).

My mom was Jewish & my father Italian Catholic. I believe in Mother Nature, am Spiritual & recently been exploring my Jewish roots. Been to Buddhist meetings, am friends with Hindus & read a little about other religions. As for whether God exists or not; I have proof-women :wub: :balanced: A woman is a fun creature :wavespin:...she is durable...:skip: you can tickle her :smile:laugh with her :biggrin: cook & eat food with her :pac:...watch a movie :cool:...talk a walk under the stars :running:holding her hand. <3 That to me is Heaven.

As for Atheists, by 2025 A.D. we find out they are a new human species...who go on to colonize Mars, Alpha Centauri & beyond. We call them the Star People...

Last edited by a moderator:
I held a poll a while back on another aspie forum and I just went to the poll. 37 people say they follow a religion and 68 people say they don't. So in the aspie population, 2/3 of aspies are non-religious

When I meet a new person thinking of them as atheist or religious does not enter my mind what so ever. Religion in my mind is not logical and what any individual wants to believe is up to them. I'm more interested in what is happening right at that moment.

I do not usually think about whether someone I meet is an atheist or spiritually oriented. I have no interest in converting anyone to my way of thinking.

I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. His noodly appendages always give comfort in times of need.

Do I believe in God? No. That's just silly.

While I find it unlikely that Earth beings represent the most advanced and knowledgeable life in the entirety of existence, I don't really see any reason to believe that the classical interpretations are accurate. After all, the idea of a god is something that's supposed to be beyond mere humans, so I hardly think anyone would be able to cover everything in any book. And whereas I can believe something might have shown up that was "god-like" at one time, I personally can't believe in anything "omniscient" or "omnipotent." If you had a creature who was truly omnipotent, it wouldn't do anything, because it would already have done it; it would stagnate as a central, acting being, and more likely become an essence of existence.

I think that there is too much evidence against the existence of the Biblical God. I do not like it because of how they classify women and gay people (a few to name off the top of my head). I tend to agree with you, I think Asperger's allows us to see through the inconsistencies and weight the reality of it. I find it frustrating that religion labels evolution as not a fact, when it most certainly is. Pretty much all of it gets me spun up.

I personally don't believe in God, but I don't mind if others do. My belief is that there is a natural balancing to all things in the universe. One event affects another event and a chain reaction occurs and you always have these events shaping the way all lives are lived. I believe that you can bring certain positive events to happen by putting the energy forth into the universe, but just as easily you can put a negative energy forth and bring bad things to yourself. I look at it as the universe is on a giant grid and all things, no matter how small, are affecting each other. I don't mind other people's beliefs as each of our beliefs makes us feel that there is an order and a purpose to life. Mine is that there is no God but that certainly everyone is entitled to believe what they feel and I never try to impose my beliefs on others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom