• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do people stare at you?

Heya Judge, what makes you say this?

In my own case, because I know my paranoia often wins out over such things...even when it isn't actually happening. Something somewhat akin to compulsive behavior. Where I know I don't need to do something, yet I do it anyways.

So for me, I'm somewhat more prone to think someone is staring at me when they really aren't. That it's just a nebulous, uncomfortable feeling often without merit.

I think mine probably is paranoia but I go out and feel everyone is staring...
I actually am convinced!
I get some absolutely terrible stares off women, and strange looks off young people..To be honest, I have started to avoid going out now - I can't bear to be in any kind of situation where i'm faced with people...I just don't feel I can cope. I have ignored 3 calls today off FRIENDS because I can't bear to answer the phone even.

I guess mine too is severe paranoia and even if they were not staring at me, I am convinced they are, which is why I am chronic with social phobia.

Oh if only I didn't care what people thought of me! :(

Judge, [URL='https://www.aspiescentral.com/members/iamparadiseseekerjw.12308/']IAmParadiseSeekerJW [/URL]and Suzanne, I know exactly what you mean, having suffered intense social phobia for as long as I can remember, to the point of not being able to leave the house!
Reading up on Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and Neurolinguistic Programming (NLP), (Rob Kelly's book 'Thrive' has been a lifesaver for me), I realised that so much of my fear was the negative thoughts in my mind and low.. actually I'll say no self esteem.
A year of looking out for those negative thoughts and replacing them with positive ones (believe me, it's not easy, as anyone who's had CBT will know) has enabled me to go back out in public; I'm not confident and it's not easy, but, a tiny step at a time, I'm improving, trying to meet people (I've joined an Aspie group and a mental health group, people with similar problems).. I wouldn't survive being isolated for the rest of my life!
One of the best things I've learned is that we can fix ourselves! :rose:

I really dislike the feeling I'm being stared at. Always have. I do sense that I'm being looked at often, though I won't say it's a true "stare" as I've found it's mostly kids who outright stare.

Sometimes at bus stops in shops, in bars they try to do it and laugh at me and talk about me I don't know why, I'm doing nothing wrong

But it's clear to be malicious to get me to be angry or feel unpleasent, sometimes blatantly or in full view, some of them pretend to be good people

This could be intentional in a way to try and provoke or it could be unintentional sometimes a person changes their path in front of you in the street to walk into you if you don't move or sometimes they make a deliberate nose clearing sound as they pass you

New Threads

Top Bottom