• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do people stare at you?

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
I'm not sure if I'm posting this under the right category. .. but ok... one Autism community (mostly for parents) posted a quote from one mom about staring. .. something about... why is everyone staring? Now I stare back... or something like that...
It got me thinking people always stared at me. When I was younger I even got a little paranoid thinking that everybody always stared when they didn't :) when I was a kid other kids would look at me but didn't say anything, periodically they would ask some weird questions but that was it. When I grew up, I still felt stared at. So eventually I got so used to it, it became normal :) so now when somebody stares at my kids or all of us I still consider it as normal. .. how about you?

Often ignore-worthy, can be annoying. Mostly it's the hypocrisy of people who think staring is rude, but stare anyway. Shows me who they are, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Yes. All the time. Once my family and I went out to dinner and there was this girl sitting alone at a table right next to us, and she kept turning around and looking at us (or just me?). And everywhere else, I'm constantly catching people, especially kids, staring at me. It's gotten to the point where I avoid looking at other people, whether they're staring or not.

The staring or "staring" personally doesn't startle me for a few reasons.
1. I am able to phase out what is around me (sometimes too much) as long as someone is not purposely trying to annoy me.
2. I also realize that sometimes it's good for people to be aware of what's around them.

I don't know if this really helps with the issue of the subject of staring, but that's me for 2 cents.

I fell the same way mate. I know it sucks, but i think people stare at each other, not only dudes on the spectrum like us. I guess humans have that desire, to stare, at a hot girl, at a hot guy, at a ugly girl, at an ugly guy, fat, skinny, whatever, we are all different. No one likes different. So everyone stares. Best to do is to ignore. We are all humans, we all stare, the same way we all feel atraction. Yes, there are assexual beeings, but thats only 1%. So we all stare, mostly. Try not to bother yourself :)

if someones eyes lock onto mine and am pulled out of own world to see them,they get a good old stare back [like the dragon,toothless in avatar;am pretty damned toothless to so that gives one extra crazy factor to the stare],they always look away like children who have been caught doing something naughty.
am very visibly disabled/obvious and use multiple equipment including peltor optime III ear defenders,a padded helmet, PECS on a lanyard with a RADAR key,a wheelchair, a sensory weighted lap blanket on less hot days,so along with behavior and communication style [echolalia,PECS and sign language] its obvious to other people am a proud weirdo.

woud recommend to anyone to stare back at people,they dont realise theyre doing it most of the time thats why they quickly turn away when caught.

I would get stared at and be given weird looks a lot at school when I was younger. Especially for how I would pace up and down around the school netball courts area during break times. :)
Nowadays it doesn't happen, and I'm in a special class with kids who are similar to me, so my pacing up and down isn't a weird thing there. :)

I live in a small town in Sweden and one day i took a wrong turning and ended up in an even smaller town called Vingåker, whilst i was turning the car around, all the children stopped and stared and stared at me, It was like the horror film children of the corn , swedish people will stare at you about anything, its abit creepy. I often wear mirrored glassses to not absorb the creepy strs rays i get here, You would have to come here to understand how it can be like the twight zone :eek:

Heres what Lou reed had to say about sweden

Last edited:
I'm not stared at as much as when I was a kid. Back then I decided to give people something to stare at, so I adopted a very eccentric persona. For instance, I had a long hooded coat that I wore in high school so I could look like Obi-Wan Kenobi, so everyone started to call me Obi-Wan. The only time I get intense stares now is if I drive into the wrong neighborhood (there are areas of Huntsville you do not dare go if you do not belong) or when I take the Hog out. It's designed to attract attention.:D

LOL i went around with my hood up for about 2 or 3 years when i was a kid in a parker , I I wouldn't pull it down indoors. either,,, also a nickname of mine at school was "psyco" and i used to play on it as it meant they left me alone , I knew they were afraid of me. I am used to the staring here now

Unknown.jpeg

I'm not stared at as much as when I was a kid. Back then I decided to give people something to stare at, so I adopted a very eccentric persona. For instance, I had a long hooded coat that I wore in high school so I could look like Obi-Wan Kenobi, so everyone started to call me Obi-Wan. The only time I get intense stares now is if I drive into the wrong neighborhood (there are areas of Huntsville you do not dare go if you do not belong) or when I take the Hog out. It's designed to attract attention.:D

I wanted to P.M you about something we were talking about before but i don't know how to do it,...

No but I definitely think I stare some people out, completely unintentionally.

Someone interesting in my eye site and we catch eyes multiple times, not always even someone I find attractive.

Gets a bit awkward sometime!

People look away quickly with us. I think it's the blue eyes and something about our nose and jaw. My dad has a bit of a look about him that makes totally random people in the store shy away from him. We knew it for years, but he just noticed recently. I'm the spitting image of him, she-style, so I figure any fear in my direction is because I got his predatory aura. Thankfully it's dropped pretty quick, once people get to know me, they know I'm a nutty goofball.

The only time I get intense stares now is if I drive into the wrong neighborhood (there are areas of Huntsville you do not dare go if you do not belong) or when I take the Hog out. It's designed to attract attention.:D
Oh, cool, I never realized you were from Alabama! How far down 431 do you go? I might have passed you by a few times.

I get 'Stared-at days', then nothing for a while, then another stared-at day. I have no idea what people are looking at as I'm always careful with grooming when I go out.. except a few weeks ago, when I was distracted while shaving off 3 days worth of stubble and left half a moustache :eek:
People with me notice it too, but they don't know why either.. surely can't be the red suit :D

I feel that way on occasion, but also that the reality is that it isn't actually happening.

the reality is that it isn't actually happening.

Heya Judge, what makes you say this?
Even since I've learned to 'blend into the crowd' better in the last few years (clothes and hair style), I still get those odd times where it goes on all day..
I find that I'm not always aware of the posture my body is in, sometimes I realise I've been lost in thought and standing completely motionless for some time. Also, I can't always tell what expression's on my face, so I wonder if this may have anything to do with it..
'Stared At Day' equates with 'Numb Face Day'?

New Threads

Top Bottom