• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do pain killers not work on aspies as well?

do pain killers work on you?

• work great

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • kind of

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • i need a much bigger dose

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • need a much bigger dose and still doesnt work so well

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters

alien girl

i've tried many pain killers, and they hardly work. at the dentist, i need several shots of navocain because after the first one i still feel everything. I can take three maximum strength painkillers, and the pain is just as sharp.

does it have anything to do with being an aspie? we pervcieve pain differently.

They work for me mostly except I had testing done and Tylenol doesn't work for me. That would've been helpful to know when I got my wisdom teeth taken out.

A couple of times I've have local anesthetics, and each time I could still feel it. I think it lowered the pain, but I still hated the sensation of being cut or sewn. On the other hand, when I had a local for a filling, I only ever felt the needle prick.

Medicine is very hit-and-miss with me. I was given some heavy painkillers as a teen for an issue. They worked fine for a week. Then a few weeks after I was given them I was having a horrible case of insomnia. Since they'd knocked me out the other times, I thought they'd do it again. Nada. All pain, no sleep. Double whammy.

Most pain killers barely take the edge off if anything.

And today I've taken two different kinds of cold medicine (at appropriate time intervals) and neither has done anything for me.

One massive painkiller I was once given didn't paralyze me like it was supposed to. I had very little strength and couldn't stand, but I still had full mobility. Shocked everybody involved.

A couple of times I've have local anesthetics, and each time I could still feel it. I think it lowered the pain, but I still hated the sensation of being cut or sewn. On the other hand, when I had a local for a filling, I only ever felt the needle prick.
That certainly brings back some memories I want to repress. My local anesthetics removed the PAIN, but didn't kill the FEELING. Nothing freakier thank feeling a scalpel slice right through your skin and knowing exactly how many stitches there are without being told by the people who can actually see it.

I'm finding paracetamol does little for my migraines. However, where I was living in Asia, Dengue hemorrhagic fever was a significant concern so other painkillers that thin the blood like aspirin and Ibuprofen were not options.

Oh morphine and oxycodone definitely worked for me. I was in HORRIBLE pain after I had my wisdom teeth removed in 2011. I thought I'd be a hard ass and opt out of taking them because I didn't think I'd be in that much pain. But once the freezing wore off I was in agony and even went to the hospital - I was given two oxy's and within 20 minutes the dental pain was entirely gone. It was like I didn't ever have it.

However.. Alcohol takes a lot longer to affect me.

I have been thru a whole array of painkillers and found that the only ones that work on me are Vicodin.

When I was 12 I had some teeth pulled before getting braces, and it was horrible. I didn't feel pain, exactly, but even though I was on novocaine I could still feel the dentist scraping around and it seemed like I was about to feel pain. Years later, after getting my braces off, I was very relieved when the orthodontist staff said they weren't expecting me to have any problems with my wisdom teeth, so I probably won't need them out. I know I'd be completely under for an operation like that, but the thought of it still terrifies me. Right now I'm 21 and every once in a while I feel pressure from them still coming in, but it doesn't bother me too much.
I take ibuprofen religiously during the first few days of my period because otherwise the cramps are horrible - and ibuprofen alone doesn't do it for me. I need heat, rest and water as well.

Well, maybe I am the only one that can only take one quarter to one third of a pain pill, such as Oxycodone or Hydrocodone. What happened when I took a full pill was instant nausea and severe impairment. If I take more than the above amounts, I can't sleep. Plus, I always have to have an antihistamine since they both cause severe itching. However, local and general anesthetics always wear off too soon...:(

I've had children, several surgeries and the usual headaches, aches and pains. Tylenol or aspirin may not always be enough for ordinary pain but Tylenol with codeine works well for me for really strong pain. For any pain I have had post op anything I was given while in the hospital always worked. I do take exception to many dentists' choice of pain med--Ibuprofen--because it really doesn't help me. I understand the need for an anti inflammatory but I still need something to dull the pain after an extensive dental procedure. Another thing I don't understand is why lethal injection is getting such a bum rap. I have been anesthetized several times and never felt anything different from going to sleep. Waking up has never been unpleasant except for any post op surgical pain. If I had to be executed I would definitely choose a lethal injection.

Oh god. I still remember having novocain for teeth removal (I had to have a lot of teeth removed as a kid), and it still hurt so much, and the orthodontist told me "It doesn't hurt. You're just imagining the pain." Me being really gullible and literal, I wanted to believe him, but I couldn't convince myself I didn't feel what I felt, so I just laid there and cried in pain. I was bitter about that for a long time afterward. I thought he was lying to me on purpose to make me think it wasn't so bad.

Pain killers seem to have a very limited effect on me, so I stopped using them. Some time ago I had my shoulder ripped out and was in a world of pain, my doctor prescribed tablets that are given to epileptics, I only took one and that was bad enough for me to never try the rest.

Oh morphine and oxycodone definitely worked for me. I was in HORRIBLE pain after I had my wisdom teeth removed in 2011. I thought I'd be a hard ass and opt out of taking them because I didn't think I'd be in that much pain. But once the freezing wore off I was in agony and even went to the hospital - I was given two oxy's and within 20 minutes the dental pain was entirely gone. It was like I didn't ever have it.

However.. Alcohol takes a lot longer to affect me.

morphine is extremely strong, should work on anyone. when i had teeth removed, sometimes i felt nothing afterward, and sometimes hurt but not so bad. we aspies react in different ways to pain, and we can be way oversensitive. i am sometimes.

Only when I was on prozac did medicine not shift the ongoing migraines.

If in terrible pain, as when my tooth was agony, to ward's the point that I gave up and went to the dentist, did meds not work.

So, generally, they do work for me, but occasionally they don't. My husband who is an nt, finds meds do not work for him.

very little effect, was a major problem post op in hospital. Dentist allows 2 to 3 times normal for dental work/ as required

i am over sensitive to percocet. on the other hand, tylenol doesnt much seem to effect me. ibuprofen seems to be thw pill that works for me. i live in washington state where pot is legal, so if im in real pain i will do that, instead of percocet. (not a subject i brought up for debate btw)

And today I've taken two different kinds of cold medicine (at appropriate time intervals) and neither has done anything for me.
Because antihistamine was the answer! And was well worth the side-effect of dry mouth. I'm screwed if I ever build up a tolerance to antihistamine. Although I could have sworn I was told that was for allergies only, and I don't have allergies.

Last edited:
I take Tylonel #3, which is prescricption. My pharmacist says that Tylenol is 'just along for the ride'. It's the codeine in it that I need for pain killer effect.

New Threads

Top Bottom