• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do NTs like wasting time? Kinda upset

This weekend I am at a getaway retreat with one of my life groups. I have socializing done so much dumb small talk I am sick of it and gone out however many times I like now I wanted to be by myself with my phone and music. They understand that and accept it that are tye kinds of good people they are.

So why do I do it because I want to still be around people but have balanced socializing.

Uhhh...

Wasn't this about a bunch of teenagers not even capable of small talk? I'm pretty sure she would've had a decent time if they weren't just staring at their phones like a bunch of zombies. I'm sure it can't beat cats, but let's be honest, nothing can. Except foxes. And bats. And goats. You get the idea.

Imagine this. You are sitting on the bus, totally chill. Empty seat next to you. Then. Someone sits next to you. It could be an old lady, a hot young girl or a big muscular guy (actually in this case, I sat next to him because a dirty bum sat near me). Are you going to awkwardly stare in front of you, pretending that this person next to you doesn't exist? Pretend like you aren't slightly annoyed at the fact that you have anywhere from 30% to 70% less space (depending on whether it's big muscular guy or hot young girl, old ladies can go either way)? No! Instead of awkwardly just staring in front of you, awkwardly make conversation. I mean, if I'm bored, the person nearest to me is going to be my victim. Sometimes willing, but they are either going to enjoy talking to me or suffer the consequences of sitting next to me.

Earbuds won't save someone. In fact, they are more likely to make me talk. I am not going to listen to someone elses crappy music, and if, by any chance, they are listening to awesome music, I'm going to talk to about that! I'm that guy on the bus that just won't shut up.

^ thats not something id mind since im the kind of guy who usualy likes to talk to people but dosent have a lot of confidence talking to strangers.

They were focused on being around each other socially while you were focused on getting to your various destinations.

A clash of priorities and objectives.

Last edited:
One reason you might want to do this is networking. Their parents might be making them do it for that reason, hence the phones.

If you stay until someone else leaves you won't get the "leaving so soon?" Instead you'll look like you really care about dance and want to be part of the community. This could lead to opportunities that don't get offered publicly.

All of my paid positions in linguistics came about this way. This is also how my ex-partner got invited to show art regularly, offered a contract as an illustrator, and offered commissions. The person I know that's the most successful as an artist goes to every event and every post opening bar crawl she finds out about. It's not enough that she's good at what she does and produces art people want in their homes. Being seen as interested, present, and someone that's earned some loyalty is what gets her work shown.
Years ago, I paid money I couldn't really afford for a how to find a job class (from a very reputable company in this area). I was told to use my friends to network and make contact with executives, then use those contacts to network more contacts. Two problems with that. One, I have no friends, then or now. Two, I am totally incapable of contacting a stranger to ask a favor or try to sell something (such as myself). I will sooner be seen riding a unicorn across fields of flowers on the moon. Such is the nature of autism, or at least my flavor of it.

I have the same problem. Im a go and do things person. Sitting with other people without reason. Is a my phone is now active situation. Which is rude and not helpful. I also have ADD. So i get what your saying. Prefer actively working toward something.

I GREATLY dislike the get together and look at our phones BS.
I guess that means I'm olde.
I run into it all the time at work with all the 20 somethings.
My coworkers I count as friends are 30+ because If you start talking to them we put our stupid phones away and actually talk to each other.
To get any interaction out of the 20 somethings I usually have to say something "shocking" to get them out of phone land.

Oddly enough it's annoying to get my best friend (from High School) to watch any video over 5 minutes long about anything.
Says "how will I know this will be worth it?" (or something meaning the same thing) to which I usually say "Why don't you look and find out - you can always stop watching it" Last time I responded with "How often do I present something that isn't worth it?" - worked

So I think there's a mix of wasting time and not being willing to spend time on new things.

New Threads

Top Bottom