• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do I sometimes push myself too hard?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Rhetorical question...

I live in Calgary, home of the Calgary Stampede every July for 10 days, a major event that have attendance of over one million people over those 10 days...

They sell a Superpass that allows daily entry for a low price, I plan to take lots of photos and go in as often as I can/feel enough energy for, I also have booked three days off from work... Starting right now, I have five days off, five days that I'm pretty sure will be rather busy for me, the things I do on vacation days, what is relaxing? :rolleyes:

Funny thing, I'm not a huge Stampede fan, not really, it's just a very large event for the fine art of people watching and street photography, plus cowboy hats, western gear, and ladies in very skimpy outfits (I don't really mean that last one :cool:)

There is a point here, I think I read somewhere that people with Asperger's need to watch activity levels, how many things we do, I often seem to ignore that and do way too much!

About a month ago, I had a very busy weekend, Friday night at our camera club banquet, that was pretty benign but still a time factor... Woke up early enough on Saturday morning, drove about an hour out of town for a large classic car show, lots of walking, barely even sitting down, drove back... Sunday was a large street festival I've always enjoyed, more time on my feet... By the end of that day I was starting to feel exhausted... Lots of photos later... But I wonder if I try too much... Maybe... :D I find that I even thrive from all the activity, up to a point...

One bonus photo from last year...

35099437744_375ff9a71b.jpg

It seems you're having a great time attending these activities. Why worry? If you're doing too much, your body will tell you. Enjoy yourself!!

It seems you're having a great time attending these activities. Why worry? If you're doing too much, your body will tell you. Enjoy yourself!!

And, yes, I am a somewhat more social Aspie... I'm the opposite of many people, in that I would rather be out doing things than spending all my time at home... Anyway, off for the evening for a couple of hours, heading downtown for some photography... :D

It is true Sherlock, Aspie activity levels can be problematic especially when it comes to our interests.

Recall my husband going out to work, just as I was beginning an illustration with a deadline for a client. I had twelve hours to complete it. He was on a twelve hour shift at work. When he left I was sitting at a drafting table working. When he returned thirteen hours later, he looked in, and said 'You haven't moved from that position since I left!' Realized that I hadn't eaten or used the bathroom for twelve hours. I've never missed a deadline and was waiting for the courier.

When it's something that interests me, my focus is extreme. Seems as if you are the same way. It's only later that we realize how fatigued we are. Which I think might not be a healthy approach to living. I don't do that as much as I used to.

Last edited:
Its OK, if you know your own physical and mental limitations and plan it so you can stay within them.

I have to say that photography is one hobby that I have been meaning to take up but haven't gotten into it. It seems like a cool hobby that you can do alone.

It is true Sherlock, Aspie activity levels can be problematic especially when it comes to our interests.

When it's something that interests me, my focus is extreme. Seems as if you are the same way. It's only later that we realize how fatigued we are. Which I think might not be a healthy approach to living. I don't do that as much as I used to.

Its OK, if you know your own physical and mental limitations and plan it so you can stay within them.

Yup... Was out downtown for a couple of hours tonight, when pickings started to get slim just went home... Tomorrow is the big day, parade day, and very hot, 31 or 32 Celcius probably... But lots going on... One photo from tonight...

Stampede 03.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, we can get so hyper-focused or 'into' something that we don't notice our bodies trying to tell us it's time to stop and call it a day. And then we need a day to recover. Or at least, that's my experience of it.

Yes, we can get so hyper-focused or 'into' something that we don't notice our bodies trying to tell us it's time to stop and call it a day. And then we need a day to recover. Or at least, that's my experience of it.

I generally know when to stop, although I can be stubborn sometimes... But I have always had good stamina... But at 32 Celcius this afternoon, I'll see how long I even last...

Last edited:

That is my problem I have 2 modes, Either I feel like a dry desert and I could just suck up everything, or I feel like an overfilled glass and I can not take in anything at all.

I never understood this until I learned I have Aspergers, It's going to take some time for me to figure out what the warning signs are though Because I don't feel the crash coming till I am deep in it

I have to say that photography is one hobby that I have been meaning to take up but haven't gotten into it. It seems like a cool hobby that you can do alone.

It's generally enjoyable, some photographers I know (many people) seem to thrive from large group outings, I tend to be a loner doing most of my photography on my own... I have certain friends who I go out with sometimes, but usually no more than one or two people...

I generally know when to stop, although I can be stubborn sometimes... But I have always had good stamina... But at 32 Celcius this afternoon, I'll see how long I even last...
I can take the heat, but then later, I feel exhausted. I think it helps to get inside an air-conditioned area, even just for an hour or so, to give yourself a break from it.
That is my problem I have 2 modes, Either I feel like a dry desert and I could just suck up everything, or I feel like an overfilled glass and I can not take in anything at all.

I never understood this until I learned I have Aspergers, It's going to take some time for me to figure out what the warning signs are though Because I don't feel the crash coming till I am deep in it
I've had the experience of doing intense activity, traveling or long car journeys, where I've kept going, but then after about 12 hours I suddenly feel sick and collapse and start to vomit. I think I keep myself going on adrenaline and am not aware of, or ignore the signs that I'm overloaded or I've been anxious for a long period and need a break, so it all catches up with me and all systems crash.

I can take the heat, but then later, I feel exhausted. I think it helps to get inside an air-conditioned area, even just for an hour or so, to give yourself a break from it.

I've had the experience of doing intense activity, traveling or long car journeys, where I've kept going, but then after about 12 hours I suddenly feel sick and collapse and start to vomit. I think I keep myself going on adrenaline and am not aware of, or ignore the signs that I'm overloaded or I've been anxious for a long period and need a break, so it all catches up with me and all systems crash.

Over a period of a day, I am ok, I also know if I have a very busy Saturday, then I need to take some time to shut down on a Sunday in order to be ready for Monday,

Its more over time, If I am overworking or pushing to hard on priorities over weeks or month I don't know when I hit my limit till its too late

Maybe it's because I'm older but I try to get up from sitting every hour or two, drink water, or some liquid, eat every few hours. When I was younger I know I took long car rides but even then I made sure to stop for gas/food/drink at least half way through, and now I stop every two hours no matter how I feel. I don't think it's just autism folks that forget to do this stuff though. I think many people are like me and say I'm making good time, why stop? But you really should.

UPDATE

I had grand visions for this past week (10 days), see first post...

Not everything went to plan, okay hardly anything... I had at least one moment of lack of inspiration, head games, which restricted some of my photo opportunities, that is the short version of my week...

I certainly don't feel like I would grade myself super high... Or maybe I discovered how excited I am about the Stampede, not as much as I think I am going into the week... I will probably do less Stampede photography next year...

I guess I felt that a good documentary photographer (how I generally describe myself) should find a way to get lots of material and work hard on a project, which I didn't do well with, and that is where I feel like I've failed myself...

One photo, square dancing downtown...

Stampede 05.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom