• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do I have Aspergers or I could be suffering of something else?

Stardust

Sorry for skipping the introductory part but I'm very bad talking about myself and I feel really awkward doing it. Besides, I had an awful week and now I'm very tired.
Hopefully, you'll understand me.

So, I made a list with my own issues that are there ever since childhood and I wanted to hear some of your opinions:

- troubles with understanding jokes or sarcasm
- black and white thinking
- paranoid
- anxious
- quick-tempered
- worry too much about what others might say or think
- obsessive thinking
- sound sensitive
- frequent angry outbursts
- enjoy spending my time alone
- narrow interests
- very sensitive to criticism/appraisal

Thanks for your help :unsure:

Hi Stardust. I suppose you might have Aspergers, but the paranoia and worrying about what others say seem a bit atypical. Have you considered Schizotypal disorder? It may not apply to you at all, but paranoia and worrying about what others think of you are symptomatic. It was the only other possibility that my therapist considered prior to my AS diagnosis, but I lacked the paranoia so he dismissed it as a possibility. Schizotypal personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for replying. It seems that SPD could also be a possibility. However, I don't consider myself paranoid - this is what some people in my life said about me, and I was thinking maybe I am really paranoid and I'm not aware of it.

Yes, I sometimes worry a lot about what others might say about me and many times I'm thinking that people will make rude commentaries or do something that might humiliate me but this might be due to the fact that I've been bullied a lot in school and that affected me a lot.
The social rejection is starting to worry me in the last time because I'm aware that something is WRONG and it might get worse later if I don't find out what it is. I also tried to make some friends but I couldn't find people with the same tastes and mentality and I think it is better for me to be alone than being in the wrong company.

So, in a few words: I feel alienated, alone, ostracized and on the verge of going insane, in a society I couldn't understand anymore.

Have you looked into Schizoid Personality Disorder? It is diagnostically very similar to Aspergers.

Prefer being alone and usually choose solitary activities
Prize independence and have few close friendships
Feel confused about how to respond to normal social cues and generally have little to say
Lack any desire for sexual relationships
Feel unable to experience pleasure
Come off as dull, indifferent or emotionally cold
Feel unmotivated and tend to underperform at school or work
Consistently play the role of a follower rather than a leader

There are way more symptoms than that, this is a few.

Have you looked into Schizoid Personality Disorder? It is diagnostically very similar to Aspergers.

Prefer being alone and usually choose solitary activities
Prize independence and have few close friendships
Feel confused about how to respond to normal social cues and generally have little to say
Lack any desire for sexual relationships
Feel unable to experience pleasure
Come off as dull, indifferent or emotionally cold
Feel unmotivated and tend to underperform at school or work
Consistently play the role of a follower rather than a leader

There are way more symptoms than that, this is a few.

So Dizzy is feeling unmotivated a personal trait for you or is it a common Asperger's trait? Just wondering in regards to my son and Asperger's.

I don't feel unnmotivated - I don't have Schizoid, just Aspergers.

Not being motivated with Aspergers seems to be more of a social thing, not feeling adequateness to adapt to the NT world.

Some things from there are not actually true: I don't feel confused about how to respond to normal social cues and I'm pretty talkative sometimes. Also , the lack of feeling any desire for sexual relationships or feeling unable to experience pleasure doesn't seem to describe me either. I'm just weird and different and this led to my isolation. Some said that I could have borderline, but doesn't explain it all either.

I also think I am dyslexic, but I'm not sure if it is because I've been left handed and teachers put me to write with my right hand. It seems that dyslexia has lots in common with aspergers.

I suggest that you continue to read up on it and, if it really seems to fit, you may want to seek a diagnosis. In the meantime, this is a friendly group, so welcome! Many people here will be able to relate to your experiences.

I can get paranoid sometimes but sometimes aren't sure whether the paranoia is picking up something that is real. I've experienced situations where I'm talking to people I know and it suddenly feels as if they've turned against me. Better said, there is a feeling of unexpressed dislike towards me that I seem to pick up. It has made me feel very uncomfortable and sometimes I think maybe I am picking up on something actual.
I have often encountered actual jealousy I know is something I don't pull out of the hat as fictional but sometimes I never know if paranoia creeps in as well. Anyway, paranoia is caused by depression when we're on a low and, most definitely, I can tell you some aspies do suffer from paranoia (often get offended by some remark).
Black and white thinking I find more unusual. I never think in black and white. I analyse far more.

Sorry for skipping the introductory part but I'm very bad talking about myself and I feel really awkward doing it. Besides, I had an awful week and now I'm very tired.

So, I made a list with my own issues that are there ever since childhood and I wanted to hear some of your opinions:

- paranoid
- anxious
- quick-tempered
- obsessive thinking
- sound sensitive
- narrow interests

Hi Stardust. I suppose you might have Aspergers, but the paranoia and worrying about what others say seem a bit atypical. Have you considered Schizotypal disorder? It may not apply to you at all, but paranoia and worrying about what others think of you are symptomatic. It was the only other possibility that my therapist considered prior to my AS diagnosis, but I lacked the paranoia so he dismissed it as a possibility. Schizotypal personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I noticed that you are talking about schizotypal. I have a son and husband and best friend and I think they have this schizotypal along with AS. I'm wondering if this is more common than the doctors know? Or that having this schizotypal is the norm for most AS?

I noticed that you are talking about schizotypal. I have a son and husband and best friend and I think they have this schizotypal along with AS. I'm wondering if this is more common than the doctors know? Or that having this schizotypal is the norm for most AS?
I'm afraid that I actually don't know much about the disorder, Donein, except that there are some similarities between schizotypal and Aspergers. It is important to point put that there are significant differences, too, as I noted in my post, above. I have never heard of someone having both disorders (it is not the norm, to my knowledge), but I am hardly a trained professional in psychiatric or cognitive issues! They may exist, I suppose.

What makes you think that your husband and son may have schizotypal disorder?

The questions you raise regarding rate of frequency are interesting

- paranoid
- anxious
- quick-tempered
- obsessive thinking
- sound sensitive
- narrow interests

You very well may have aspergers. Your list includes many traits typical of ASD. I disagree that worrying about what others think is inconsistent with ASD. Many aspie/auties are overly concerned with other people's opinions.

Some things from there are not actually true: I don't feel confused about how to respond to normal social cues and I'm pretty talkative sometimes. Also , the lack of feeling any desire for sexual relationships or feeling unable to experience pleasure doesn't seem to describe me either. I'm just weird and different and this led to my isolation. Some said that I could have borderline, but doesn't explain it all either.

In order to have Borderline you would have had to have parents that gave you conditional love. Or dysfunctional love. Did you have any alcoholism, drug abuse, physical beating, emotional neglect, emotional belittling, comparisons to siblings, ignoring, engulfing, over parenting, under parenting, the list can go on and on,,,but if you had any of this , this can create Borderline in an individual. There are different degrees of being Borderline. You can totally be wacko out of control, or mildly hiding from the world with tantrums occasionally.

I'm afraid that I actually don't know much about the disorder, Donein, except that there are some similarities between schizotypal and Aspergers. It is important to point put that there are significant differences, too, as I noted in my post, above. I have never heard of someone having both disorders (it is not the norm, to my knowledge), but I am hardly a trained professional in psychiatric or cognitive issues! They may exist, I suppose.

What makes you think that your husband and son may have schizotypal disorder?

The questions you raise regarding rate of frequency are interesting

Let's know here that we are deaing with two AS's that are denying that they have AS...... I'm the mother of one, and I pay attention and was watching my son and reading back then. I didn't know a thing about aspergers then, but I was reading about personality disorders. I bought the book "The BiPolar Child", and my son was on every page. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in third, this was right ; however he had AS and probably this other disorder (Comorbid)..... When he was in high school he saw and heard things at school. I was concerned about scoprenia, so I asked a lot of questions.

Now I have learned about Auditory Processing Disorder, which can cause hearing the proper stuff when there is a group of people talking. I do believe that APD is what causes this sensory overload. So my son isn't psoprenic, but something is going on.

My husband saw and heard little men under his bed when he was 5. His stupid clueless parents took him to the emergency room. He never went to a doctor again. These are the worst parents in town. So my husband was hearing and seeing things.

I'll never get to the bottom of this and get the proper DX because these are two arragont people now in denial.

In order to have Borderline you would have had to have parents that gave you conditional love. Or dysfunctional love. Did you have any alcoholism, drug abuse, physical beating, emotional neglect, emotional belittling, comparisons to siblings, ignoring, engulfing, over parenting, under parenting, the list can go on and on,,,but if you had any of this , this can create Borderline in an individual. There are different degrees of being Borderline. You can totally be wacko out of control, or mildly hiding from the world with tantrums occasionally.

Yes, my parents were indifferent with me and didn't give emotional support when I was bullied in school and I know that I suffered very much because of it. Some traits however, were there from a very young age, like low tolerance to certain sounds or noises, difficulty with understanding jokes or sarcasm, hypersensitivity etc. I know that they affected very much my life and relationship with others.

Also my mother says that I complain too much and I'm too negative and people can't tolerate me.

Last edited:
I worry alot about what people think about me, and have told i was being paranoid. But I think alot of it was me picking up on stuff they weren't ready to admit yet. I think when you have been picked on alot or lost friends and stuff it can be easy to start worrying about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom