• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do I have Aperger's Syndrome or something?

carlo

I'm 16 and I've been finding answers to what I am and why I'm different because I'm really different from other people of my age. I've been researching about Asperger's Syndrome and I think I have it because I have some/many of its symptoms. But I'm not that sure. I don't want to go to a psychiatrist because I don't want my parents to worry about me and I don't want them to change how they treat me.
So here are the symptoms that I have:
1. Problems with social skills- I really find it difficult to make friends, because I can't relate to what they are talking about when they're on conversations. I just stand there and listen to them, and never talk.
2. repetitive behaviors
3. I find it hard to make eye contact to someone
4. obsessions
5. clumsiness
but there are some symptoms that I do not have like understanding humors, sarcasm and feelings.

As a preliminary, take the online Cambridge A.Q. test and answer the questions as honestly as you can. Then, work through all the main symptoms such as stims, non verbal communication, social cues, visual learning, islolated feelings, anger outbursts and so on. Ask yourself how many of these apply to you (one or two may not, which is O.K.) The forum will also help you to get some idea of what HFA and Aspergers is about. Hope you find the support and welcome here you are looking for and that your search for answers will be resolved. A warm welcome and good luck.

I'm 16 and I've been finding answers to what I am and why I'm different because I'm really different from other people of my age. I've been researching about Asperger's Syndrome and I think I have it because I have some/many of its symptoms. But I'm not that sure. I don't want to go to a psychiatrist because I don't want my parents to worry about me and I don't want them to change how they treat me.
So here are the symptoms that I have:
1. Problems with social skills- I really find it difficult to make friends, because I can't relate to what they are talking about when they're on conversations. I just stand there and listen to them, and never talk.
2. repetitive behaviors
3. I find it hard to make eye contact to someone
4. obsessions
5. clumsiness
but there are some symptoms that I do not have like understanding humors, sarcasm and feelings.

i got 32 on Autism / Asperger's Quiz

hi adam
i got 36, i've never mentioned toa nyone i think i may have aspergers, my eldest brother has just been diagnosed but my middle brother is fine..could it skip a relative and me have it?

just did the ritvo test and got 122, methinks i should get a professional opinion...im currently seeing a CBT therapist for my anxiety states, i wonder if it might be worth askign her#? or will she think im just imagining things?

just did the ritvo test and got 122, methinks i should get a professional opinion...im currently seeing a CBT therapist for my anxiety states, i wonder if it might be worth askign her#? or will she think im just imagining things?

If you are already seeing a therapist that is a great way to get started. I would ask her about it. Be prepared with examples of why you believe you have it. Also they may want family confirmation and further information about your childhood to confirm it but its a good start to have a therapist already that you are comfy with to get started.

hi adam
i got 36, i've never mentioned toa nyone i think i may have aspergers, my eldest brother has just been diagnosed but my middle brother is fine..could it skip a relative and me have it?

sorry for the late reply but i seem to be the only one who has it in my family( that i know of)

New Threads

Top Bottom