• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

View attachment 57210

A Cora ball, that removes microfibers in the washing machine that end up in lakes and rivers. Polyester, nylon, and fleece synthetic clothing shed tiny pieces of plastic into our water, each time we wash them.

According to a recent paper published out of University of Toronto, The Cora Ball catches 26% of the microfibers per load from washing downstream. The effectiveness depends on several factors including what items are in the load, wash settings, wash frequency and the presence of pet hair (which helps catch fibers)! We are constantly testing to learn how it works best so we can share with Cora Ball users. (One plus so far for people with pets!)

Bought one today. Made in Vermont USA.
what is it made from thanks

H-filter.jpg
Removes lint & microplastics from your washing machine discharge.

Lint LUV-R | Laundry washing machine lint filter solution for septic system problems

Uhhh.... Don't wear synthetic clothing? The things still don't catch all of it. The best I've got is thick cotton and it works fine. I've also got these turtlenecks made from cotton, they don't look thick at all but for some reason they are frigging warm. Not sure what kind of matter compression technology they used on those things.

Uhhh.... Don't wear synthetic clothing? The things still don't catch all of it. The best I've got is thick cotton and it works fine.

Almost all of my clothing is made from cotton or linen or wool. Have a jacket made from a synthetic and some household items like sponges/cleaning cloths/plastic scrubbers. Most sportswear is made from synthetic thread as are sports shoes, and a lot of outdoor clothing for cold weather. They all have microfibers that break off when laundered and end up in freshwater.
Natural fabric clothing is becoming more and more difficult to find.

Last edited:
Almost all of my clothing is made from cotton or linen or wool. Have a jacket made from a synthetic and some household items like sponges/cleaning cloths/plastic scrubbers. Most sportswear is made from synthetic thread as are sports shoes, and a lot of outdoor clothing for cold weather. They all have microfibers that break off when laundered and end up in freshwater.
Natural fabric clothing is becoming more and more difficult to find.
A lot of the stores in the UK seem to be selling an eco range and quite a lot of it is cotton ,it’s not as ,cheap as ,some of the polyester clothing but it still cotton! I can guarantee stores in Canada will start to do it , Cotton is more expensive than it used to be ,if you can make clothes buy calico it is the cheapest , i’m desperate to learn to make clothes ,I’ve been watching a craft channel and it drives me mad because I want to make things that really fit me ,I’m not a svelte athlete anymore , my abdomen is permanently distended and I love the idea of Couture clothes I could actually afford ,being autistic I love the idea of detail ,my eyes glaze over when I see an embroidery machine , I almost salivate at the thought of it . if you think about an embroidery machine and want !!!to research it put in about $600 ,it might make you breathe a bit strangely if you see the price of some of them .

Canada will start to do it , Cotton is more expensive than it used to be ,if you can make clothes

They've closed down all the fabric stores here, as only the older generation knew how to sew. But cotton is good when it's not too cold. And it's cold here a good portion of the year. At the moment it's about 10C, and will progress over the month to a lower temperature.

Wish you were geographically closer Street, I could teach you to sew and/or tailor your clothing to fit properly. I'm no seamstress, but I know the basics as I was taught to sew as a child. I too love the detail of seams and hems and darts and linings and fit. Sometimes I take apart clothing and sew it back together so it fits properly. Last year I found a heavy wool designer maxi coat at a thrift store, I cut it down and it's perfect now. It's something I like to do as well.

They've closed down all the fabric stores here, as only the older generation knew how to sew. But cotton is good when it's not too cold. And it's cold here a good portion of the year. At the moment it's about 10C, and will progress over the month to a lower temperature.

Wish you were geographically closer Street, I could teach you to sew and/or tailor your clothing to fit properly. I'm no seamstress, but I know the basics as I was taught to sew as a child. I too love the detail of seams and hems and darts and linings and fit. Sometimes I take apart clothing and sew it back together so it fits properly. Last year I found a heavy wool designer maxi coat at a thrift store, I cut it down and it's perfect now. It's something I like to do as well.
Not fabric stores !department stores or supermarkets ( and none of them are made in Britain , either turkey ,India or Pakistan so they will be cheaper )one of our supermarkets and the online stores are doing it ! as well ,if you ever seen the television programme ‘say yes to the dress’you can buy organic cotton wedding dresses I won’t be buying a wedding dress ,although I love the idea of going to Kleinfelds sometimes if you want to talk more PM me we are probably getting off topic

Cotton clothing is everywhere. The price range is higher than for synthetic, but cotton costs a ton of money to grow so of course it's more expensive than a petrol waste product. 97/3% Cotton/synthetic stuff is extremely easy to find and everywhere. If you want 100% cotton you are really not going to pay much more than 97/3 but it's going to be a bit more difficult. Still possible, especially for shirts, knitwear, etc. Pants can be a little bit more difficult, but I still managed to find a bunch at 100$. For me just finding vegan jeans is a chore, so if I can find 100% cotton vegan ones then it should be child's play to find just 100% cotton.

And if you wear the right clothes you are not going to be cold. Shirt + turtleneck and I would be comfortable in -5º C/23ºF or so with a decent coat. If we are talking -15 C /5ºF(which I experienced abroad) I would need a pretty thick hoodie under the coat as well and probably a scarf too (in addition to the turtleneck). Problem solved. 90% of the cold is going to shut out by a good jacket/coat anyway.

Cotton clothing is everywhere. The price range is higher than for synthetic, but cotton costs a ton of money to grow so of course it's more expensive than a petrol waste product. 97/3% Cotton/synthetic stuff is extremely easy to find and everywhere.

It's not everywhere, and certainly not where I am. I'll pay extra for cotton/linen/wool. Recently the socks I've been buying for twenty years (98% cotton) are impossible to find. The makers have moved to polyester, lycra, spandex blends. You might be thinking about men's clothing, which seems to have remained with more natural fabrics.

Women's clothing is becoming difficult. Cotton underwear, socks, pyjamas, t-shirts, jeans, are more and more blended with synthetic thread so they stretch. Women's cotton/linen blouses and pants and skirts are virtually impossible to find except in the summer, and they are summer weight. When I find one, I buy several.

Recently I've read that younger females are looking for more sustainable fabric in their clothing, some buying second-hand, and looking for organic or more naturally manufactured clothing. Hence the bankruptcy of forever 21 and other
'fast fashion' brands. I'm looking forward to finding decent clothing again.

If we are talking -15 C

That's the middle of December to January temperature here. It's usually -20C by the end of January and colder in February sometimes with wind to -30C. That's when I pull out the down coat that belonged to my grandfather and boots with wool liners, arctic gloves and a heavy wool hat.

Newswire
Park rangers issue warning: genius bears are coming for your pic-a-nic basket
Allison Robicelli

When you go camping, you’re essentially going to a bear’s house and crashing on his couch without asking. If a whole bunch of humans showed up at my place unannounced, built a fire in my living room, and brought over a smorgasbord of their exotic human food and didn’t offer to share, I would not take it nearly as well as most bears do. I would find it even more egregious if said randos strung their food up in a tree like a delicious hot dog packed pinata. In the eyes of a bear, we are rude, entitled freeloaders, and honestly, none of us can argue with that. Now, according to Southern Living, it seems the are bears are mad and they are not going to take it anymore.

Park rangers at Grandfather State Park in North Carolina have taken to Facebook to warn that the bears have grown wise to our tricks and, very likely, have begun to organize amongst themselves. They’ve already figured out how to foil the classic “hang our food in a tree so bears can’t get it” tactic. They’ve begun to train baby bears in the art of breaking into cars, something adult bears have already become quite adept at. They’re bravely meandering into campsites. The bears are no longer amused by our sylvan sojourns to enjoy the technicolor fall foliage. They are ready to take what is rightfully theirs: our food.

Last edited:
There's brands with 99/100% cotton. For jeans there's Levi's. They have leather patches so I can't buy them, same for Scotch & Soda. Nudie Jeans (new jeans are vegan) have very little on offer for women, and most seem to be hideous high rise jeans. Levi's is probably the best for cold since the cotton is very heavy and thick, although it's obviously not going to beat wool. They are also cheap. 501 STF is 100% cotton, although it's raw denim so it looks horrible unless you go through the proper steps of wearing them in and you don't ruin it by washing or using vinegar. They also have non-raw denim in 100% cotton, so those are also an option (although those can be pretty expensive). Raw denim is also extremely good for the environment (least amount of chemicals and water used).

As for dress shirts... almost everything I see is 100% cotton. Sometimes I get disappointed by something I like that has 1% nonsense in it, but the vast majority is 100% cotton. Knits are far more difficult, often contain wool or weird blends. I found a store that sells 100% cotton knits for both summer and winter, but even if I didn't it was still possible to occasionally find 100% cotton. Shirts/polos (technically knits) were also easy. Not as easy as dress shirts but still the majority is 100% cotton. Most major sites online you can just filter for cotton and you'll also get the blends but there will be things that you can find that are 100% cotton, jeans are the biggest pain (but levi's can be easily found) so knits are probably going to be the most difficult to find.

As for -30 C, at that point I'd be more worried about my face and legs than my body. Turtle neck + v-neck + hoodie + good coat. 2 heavy layers of knits will easily keep you warm. Big thick scarf that can cover the lower half and thick The coldness comes from losing heat in the face and head. If you have a down coat it's not the body that's the problem. Big thick scarf for the lower half and hat fixes that. Fur and down is what the animals that were tortured to make the coat use to survive that weather without anything else, the problem of "I'm cold" comes from using coats that are made from other materials. Assuming you don't wash coats, you can just use synthetic and that is similar to wool. It's no down or fur so you need a bit more layering for brutal -30 C weather, but it can be done without too much craziness.

Levi's is probably the best for cold since the cotton is very heavy and thick, although it's obviously not going to beat wool.

Used to wear Levi's. Now their too restrictive. Although they are long lasting if they have no flaws in them, as in places where seams unravel or actual places in the fabric that have been damaged in manufacturing. There is heavy denim that's lined with another layer inside, usually of short shorn fleece (synthetic) worn by people who work outside in the winter. On occasion you can find jeans with cotton or wool lining. With jeans the problem with cold weather is that the jeans freeze, and become stiff and difficult to walk in. Prefer looser light weight wool pants with a lining, and not too itchy. Although jeans can be augmented with a long wool coat and boots as the external layer as long as you are not outside for long.

As for -30 C, at that point I'd be more worried about my face and legs than my body. Turtle neck + v-neck + hoodie + good coat. 2 heavy layers of knits will easily keep you warm. Big thick scarf that can cover the lower half and thick The coldness comes from losing heat in the face and head. If you have a down coat it's not the body that's the problem.

As long as it's not blowing snow and you're not in the open without a windbreak it's not as much of a problem. It's actually the feet, hands and face. Boots made from recycled tires with heavy wool inserts and light cotton sock liners under wool socks will just about keep your feet warm but not quite. Liners for gloves too.

Dislike scarves, feel as if I'm being strangled. Maybe it's a female difficulty as well. As someone could easily grab it. Usually it's cotton or wool underneath and a turtleneck and then coat or jacket. Most people who live in this climate have known about layering all of their lives.

As for the long down jacket, it's the best thing for the coldest weather. My grandfather wore it all of his life, then my uncle, now me. It has a really well-designed hood with a flap made of wool felt so the face is little exposed, many pockets, two slash pockets in the upper part for your hands, several internal and outside pockets. For the coldest weather it's all I'll ever need. And if it's so cold that the nose and fingertips are affected, there is a wool balaclava, that is sometimes used and snowmobile gloves.

Most of this heavy winter outerwear is wiped down, the wool hand-washed so there's no issue with micro-plastics in freshwater. Yet, most people are simply unaware of the fact that freshwater fish are now swallowing micro-plastic, and we are eating it, drinking it. I'm noticing animal behavior around the world, whales dying, sharks and raptors and bears taking fish from anglers and commercial fishing operations. It's telling and it's ominous.

Hmm I guess I need to still test my boots in something worse than -15. The feet weren't so bad in that weather, it was everything else below the belt. Didn't have a scarf or hat or anything so it felt like I was wearing a mask of frozen skin after I got back inside.

Scarfs help... just tuck one inside so potential yeti rapists can't use it to grab you. Not sure if that's what you meant but that's how I interpreted it :p

Look at the bright side... all this global warming is going to make things more pleasant :D And once we're all made of silicon, swallowing micro-plastic won't be a problem. We won't be cold then either... in fact... we'll be permanently hot and looking to cool down.

Hmm I guess I need to still test my boots in something worse than -15. The feet weren't so bad in that weather, it was everything else below the belt. Didn't have a scarf or hat or anything so it felt like I was wearing a mask of frozen skin after I got back inside.

Scarfs help... just tuck one inside so potential yeti rapists can't use it to grab you. Not sure if that's what you meant but that's how I interpreted it :p

Look at the bright side... all this global warming is going to make things more pleasant :D And once we're all made of silicon, swallowing micro-plastic won't be a problem. We won't be cold then either... in fact... we'll be permanently hot and looking to cool down.
I was looking on a website called Alpine trek.com ( prices were in British pounds )and they had North face boots for women about US$80 ,I think they will keep out severe cold ,north face have recently stopped using goose feathers in their coats, as the feathers were taken from the geese when they were alive and without anaesthetic ( The photographs of bald bleeding geese is horrific )

Scarfs help... just tuck one inside so potential yeti rapists can't use it to grab you. Not sure if that's what you meant but that's how I interpreted it

Think turtlenecks made of wool are about the best for that, scarves tend to come loose no matter how well tied. A male friend of mine was grabbed by his scarf in a spanish city, by someone on a moped. He just about was strangled before the driver let go. It was random and pointless. Another was grabbed by her scarf on the stairs by someone who took her purse. So, no scarf for me, or ponytails. No yetis have been seen recently in this area so were all good.

Last edited:
Think turtlenecks made of wool are about the best for that, scarves tend to come loose no matter how well tied. A male friend of mine was grabbed by his scarf in a spanish city, by someone on a moped. He just about was strangled before the driver let go. It was random and pointless. Another was grabbed by her scarf on the stairs who took her purse. So, no scarf for me, or ponytails. No yetis have been seen recently in this area so were all good.
Managed to get to 100% cotton !!!polo necks I had to check as I couldn’t believe they would be a 100% cotton .
I thought making things from 100% cotton for fashion stores was dying out ,I thought fashion stores were addicted to elastane .
I can’t find 100% cotton Hoodies that prevent hypothermia, I spend the cooler months which are quite a lot because I live in north east England, in coats with a fleece lined hood ,needless to say I perspire quite a lot ,severe anxiety doesn’t care about polar fleece or cotton or linen or viscose.

Now I have to consider the enigma that is the bottom of my legs and feet ,to perspire or not to perspire that is the question?
Had my manic couple of minutes where I desperately hoped the dried food entitled calm and ‘feliway friends’ will help the cats before Guy Fawkes’ Night ,One,of the dreaded nights of the year .
The local pyromaniac hasn’t started with fireworks yet that often thank!! goodness

:eek: well my scarf never comes loose. Tuck it inside my coat and if someone wants to grab a part of me it's probably going to be my hair or hoodie. I think not living in the igloo ghetto is probably the reason I've never had an issue. I just don't wear a hoodie around new years because kids have been known to put fireworks in those, but other than that I don't have much to worry about.

Yea I know about the goose torture. Nobody cares about it but if you have a fur coat everyone has a problem despite all eating meat and wearing leather/wool/down. Fur is one of the most animal friendly animal products out there, not that I would ever buy it but the disproportionate anger that it gets is unjustified. The only issue is with fur lining on hoodies, this is often made from tortured cats and dogs, but the fur I mean is the standard Mink fur that they make entire coats out of. With wool for instance they cut off the butt off the sheep and just leave them to bleed because otherwise they get infected by parasites due to a lack of care.

Sweat you can't really prevent. 100% cotton is the best you can do, since all the plastic stuff turns you into a greenhouse. My feet still sweat like a water faucet, all I can do is wear antibacterial socks because else I become a biohazard when walking for a few hours. Since switching to more expensive vegan shoes it has become a bit less crazy than it was in the past. Going from 100 eur shoes to 300 eur shoes is a major difference in quality, with clothes it seems to be the opposite (funny enough).

Sweat you can't really prevent. 100% cotton is the best you can do, since all the plastic stuff turns you into a greenhouse. My feet still sweat like a water faucet, all I can do is wear antibacterial socks because else I become a biohazard when walking for a few hours. Since switching to more expensive vegan shoes it has become a bit less crazy than it was in the past. Going from 100 eur shoes to 300 eur shoes is a major difference in quality, with clothes it seems to be the opposite (funny enough).

Was out for a really long walk today, but its just cool enough to not have your feet slipping around inside your shoes in damp cotton socks. Tried hiking socks once, all they do is push the moisture to the outside so your footwear absorbs it, and they stick to your feet like fine mesh. True about the clothing, at least the cotton, which is far less expensive than the higher tier synthetics.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom