• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mia

V.I.P Member
Wonder if my perception of the world and the creatures and people in it that leads me to dislike/hate some of the human race.

A cycling trip picking up small dead creatures from the bike path and burying them. A sparrow, a frog, a snake, a mouse, a vole. People just left their bodies there after they ran over them with their bikes. Which shows such disrespect to these creatures, as if they were nothing at all.

The rest of the time I picked up live caterpillars attempting to cross the bike path without getting killed. Eighteen that day, almost all of which were wooly bear and moth larvae that had hatched and were stuck on the white dividing line in the middle, seemingly not knowing which way to go. I moved them to the other sides and gently placed them on plants.

Several times people shouted at me, to get out of the way, as they didn't want to slow down. And didn't care what they killed and just kept going. I'm at a loss here, can someone explain why people would value speed on their bicycles over living creatures? I thought people who cycled care about the natural environment.

Last edited:
Riding a bicycle and running over animals!?

This is not a thing I have imagined, until now.
I move small dead guys from the road, where I walk,
but that is a road for motor vehicles. I walk on the shoulder.

I move live creatures, too, if they are on the road.

I stop my car and move turtles to safety on the other side of the road during their migration season. I don't move dead animals because other living creatures such as buzzards depend on them for food.

While I hate pretty much everyone, the blackest part of my heart is reserved for cyclists. They don't just run over small wildlife. They'll run over your dog, your kid, or you, for that matter. It seems like whenever someone hops on a bike, there is a large chance that they will become possessed by an evil spirit.

Animals are so beautiful. We had a major mall torn down. My thoughts were about all the life that was in the courtyard of bugs, butterflies, birds with the beautiful trees, and l was sad. I actually took a pic of the small tree. Now it's gone.

No I don't feel that is caring too much. I feel the same way and do the same sorts of things. Maybe it is like an art, in the sense that there is no such thing as being too good an artist.

I agree with Tom, there is no such thing as being to good an person. The problem is that these people rarely receive the recognition that they deserve. I hope that Mia is recognized for being the caring person that she is.

I'm just inclined to think that there are those who are considerably more receptive to nature than others.

So if you are one who does, then no you can't care "too much".

Wonder if my perception of the world and the creatures and people in it that leads me to dislike/hate some of the human race.

Two days ago I spent my 38 kilometer cycling trip picking up small dead creatures from the bike path and burying them. A sparrow, a frog, a snake, a mouse, a vole. People just left their bodies there after they ran over them with their bikes. Which shows such disrespect to these creatures, as if they were nothing at all.

The rest of the time I picked up live caterpillars attempting to cross the bike path without getting killed. Eighteen that day, almost all of which were wooly bear and moth larvae that had hatched and were stuck on the white dividing line in the middle, seemingly not knowing which way to go. I moved them to the other sides and gently placed them on plants.

Several times people shouted at me, to get out of the way, as they didn't want to slow down. And didn't care what they killed and just kept going. I'm at a loss here, can someone explain why people would value speed on their bicycles over living creatures? I thought people who cycled care about the natural environment.
I think from the very fact that they were angry that you were there tells you a lot !( telling you to get out of the way) ,they’re obviously cycling for an adrenaline kick ,that does not make you an unselfish person.
no you’re not too sensitive ,it’s just most people are very selfish !until it hurts them a lot !and I’m just saying this from memory, I don’t really understand it !.
take pleasure in knowing you might be helping a species survive :)

While I hate pretty much everyone, the blackest part of my heart is reserved for cyclists. They don't just run over small wildlife. They'll run over your dog, your kid, or you, for that matter. It seems like whenever someone hops on a bike, there is a large chance that they will become possessed by an evil spirit.

Wouldn't running over animals tip them over and cause them to wreck?

I can't even wrap my brain around this - how can someone run over a small animal on a bicycle... Do people not look? Not care?
Well done you for respecting these little creatures. They deserve it, even if so many people fail to recognise that.

I think I'm lucky not to have seen such accidents, but have always stopped to transport insects/caterpillars/frogs to places of safety. My partner used to think I'm nuts, but more recently he's become more caring towards bumblebees when he sees them exhausted on the pavement too. Just need to educate and spread awareness really. All creatures deserve to be here <3

What makes this sort of thing you describe really stupid to me... and one of the reasons why I often refer to random people as "idiots"... is that in by far the vast majority of cases, it's not that they dont care about the creatures on the ground. It's that THEY DONT EVEN NOTICE. They genuinely, seriously dont notice the things. Whether they're on bikes or walking or even sitting staring at stuff, MOST people wont notice MOST things. And yeah, it's true, for some people their vision isnt very good, but even for those with excellent eyesight... yeah, they still wont notice much. Never do. I'll admit, I take advantage of this fact rather frequently.

I guarantee you, pretty much all of the people that yelled at you had no bloody idea what you were even doing even if they had plenty of time while passing by to spot the action. Though obviously there are exceptions, but... you'll find that they're horribly rare.

And that's not even considering most people's hatred of insects. Well, insects that arent "pretty" like butterflies. Everyone just smashes the poor things, as if they were doing something harmful. I have to pick them up and take them outside (except with house centipedes, there's no point trying to catch them, so I just ignore them and they can do whatever). And it's not like it takes effort.

Now, that stuff aside, sometimes there's nothing you can do even if you DO notice and care. Someone could be riding along, and suddenly some idiot squirrel or something darts right under the wheel, too fast to react to. Those animals aint exactly particularly smart. Granted, neither are the bikers.

While I hate pretty much everyone, the blackest part of my heart is reserved for cyclists. They don't just run over small wildlife. They'll run over your dog, your kid, or you, for that matter. It seems like whenever someone hops on a bike, there is a large chance that they will become possessed by Satan or something.

We need to implement a final solution to the cyclist problem. Best place to start is Amsterdam, I speak from experience.

Yeah, same here. I absolutely cant stand the jerks.

If it's motorcycles, they'll drive like absolute morons, thinking that they're invincible and that they can do anything they want. If it's normal bikes, they are slllllooooooowwwwwwwww and could not give less of a crap that they're literally clogging up traffic by riding in the road..... while the BIKE PATH literally 4 feet away, off the road, is ignored. Or doing other braindead things.

My utter loathing of them cannot be overstated.

Where's Skynet when you need it?

I don't think you care too much, I've injured myself badly swerving on my bike to avoid running over a hedgehog. Many other people are probably so focused that they don't actually notice these animals, or just going too fast to see them. You must have amazing eyesight to spot a dead vole while cycling!

On a separate note, maybe just move the bodies to the side instead of burying them? Carcasses are food to a variety of creatures and burying them makes them less accessible to hungry tummys.

wouldn't running over animals tip them over and cause them to wreck?

Not really, if the creatures are small and the cyclists are moving quickly. The only way it might happen is if they swerved quickly and lost their balance. I saw someone run over a large snake ahead of me, they simply kept going without even skidding.

Better to care too much than too little.

My husband and I spent all night, one night, picking ticks out of a headhodge's body, but sadly, died when we went to see how he or she was, but both agreed that we did not regret trying to ease its pain, even if it could have caused its death.

Rabbits here seem especially susceptible to being roadkill. For as fast as they can be against known predators, they don't seem to react quite the same towards automobiles. Too familiar with people? Go figure.

Last edited:
Today it was a beautiful little yellow frog, with black markings that I helped to the other side. I thought he/she was a leaf she/he was so tiny and beautiful. (̶◉͛‿◉̶)

New Threads

Top Bottom